Someone Tell Me Why...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LoadingBMW.jpg

I thought I'ld throw another one at you just to skew things.

everyone LOVES a beemer on a tow-truck :lol:

Yes, Thats my backside in the Supervisory Role.

If I were to add a Beemer to the house the GS would be the critter. I looked really hard at the DL1000 before the Feej, and it just barely lost out. I'ld also look the KTM as Carver suggested. Now Rickster has thrown a new on at me to check out.

Also look here for comparo specs.

The GS vs the Adventure. The Adventure holds almost 3.5 gal more fuel. May be something to consider for the treck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a 5-speed "Orange-Crate" - front suspension, stick-shift, i was one bad-assed kid

A fully loaded 1968 "Orange Crate" with 5-speed stick shift retailed for $89.50.

FLBAM-102-STINGRAY-06_e.jpg

and i still think you should go for the Aprilia Caponord.

live a little!

...I shouldn't buy one of these:
12GSblue.jpg
If the others haven't convinced you by now, here is what you'll be looking at way up on the Dalton Hwy if you do buy one and take the trip.

42vfi3t.jpg

It's a great bike, just not one you want to be too far from the dealer with. ;)

Say what you will, but I recently added one of these as a stable mate for the FJR....

DL1000_SO_B7.jpg

Price, can't be beat. Drive train, bullet proof. As TWN said, you can buy it and farkle the $hit out of it with the left over funds. Yeah it has a chain, when it wears out throw it away. Add a center stand, crash bars :eek: , extender, some luggage and a couple teeth to the back sprocket and you're good to go. So far the thing gets great mileage, is fast enough (for me) and is a hoot to ride in the twisties.

Change the tires out to Pilot Roads and you have a capable corner carver. Change'em again to some agressive knobbies and Alaska here we come. Yeah, I've had the thought also....

If money were no object, I would have had a new GS in the garage. But...all things equal, the Strom will fill the duty for fire roads and back country exploring. :p

--G

quick edit - pic is not of mine...appropriated from another site.

Tim, you know you want one, so just bite the bullet. BMW will let you have a test ride. Go for it.

The adventure ot Alaska will be wonderful whatever bike you take. If you are leaning toward the GS, then take a test ride and if it is all you imagine, buy it.

Tim, you know you want one, so just bite the bullet. BMW will let you have a test ride. Go for it.
The adventure ot Alaska will be wonderful whatever bike you take. If you are leaning toward the GS, then take a test ride and if it is all you imagine, buy it.
That's my to do list for tomorrow provided the rain holds 'til the afternoon. Might even squeak a Strom ride outta the Zook dealer, too. ;)

Last weekend had the chance to ride a bud's 05gs must say i came away feeling one could end up in my garage next to the fjr .

you know i liked bmw to a point (had an RT prior to the FJR) but one thing i just don't like is that they are not "bulletproof" by any means...they need lots of TLC and things just seem to break right after the warranty period. But then again, it could be just the model i purchased.

But off my rant, if you go for the GS, good luck!

Rich

Another reason to buy the GS: The front end looks like a giant mosquito. All the mosquitos in your path will either be scared away or ride in formation behind you, thinking you're their queen! One way to keep the bugs outta yer teeth.

12GSblue.jpg

I was impressed when I test rode one a couple of years ago. Took it into a vacant lot and was able to do a few u-turns and hold the steering to the lock. It felt very sweet. B)

I opted for an 1150 'cause it was thousands less and I knew I'ld spend 2-3K to get it fully rally ready. :blink:

But, the dang thing had to work too hard to maintain reasonable averages while in rally mode, so I'm setting up the FJR for that role. :assassin:

I'm probably not going to sell the 1150 as I see a ride like Prudhoe in my future :D

If you take the plunge and feel the need, check out https://www.jimmylewisoffroad.com

there's a class in January

12GSblue.jpg

Being my B-day and all, I've been scrounging around the in'nernet for sumpin' to buy myself (other than Skyway's peg mounted De-Thirstalator® )and this damn thing keeps showing up in my searches for some *unknown* reason! :dntknw:

Now, some of you may know that I harbor a keen interest (need?) in making Prudhoe Bay within the next year or two and I've been eyeballin' the GS, Uly and Strom1K with which to make the trip. (Having found myself graveling one too many times on the FJR, I have determined that this ain't the machine for such a ride.) I know it's a BMW, but dangit!, the Strom and Uly just feel so, well, cheap. Too, the Uly is a tiny little critter compared to the others, quality is suspect for the ancillary bits (controls in particular) and the Strom is just a plain, big ole yawner.

So, my logic dictates that the Uly gets ruled out and though the Strom gets high marks for price (I could farkle the shit outta it for the difference of the Beemer), it just can't compare to the overall effect that the BMW offers. I'm not going out today and buy one (and that raises the whole new v. used conundrum) and prolly won't until I have a better handle on a trip date, but you all are pretty well versed in things two wheel, so I thought I'd slip a Quill Gordon upstream to see what it drags up.

Fire away!
I don't have a good reason why you SHOULDN'T buy of these because I want too. B)

Tell me why you aren't visiting this ultra coolio site?
https://www.990adventure.com/
I would concur that the updated 990 would be most excellent on the dirt, but I still don't think it's the best value overall. A dang! She's priced awfully close to the Beemer.

Still analyzing. Riding all that I can sample next week.

I would concur that the updated 990 would be most excellent on the dirt, but I still don't think it's the best value overall. A dang! She's priced awfully close to the Beemer.

I not sure what the pricing was. About a year ago I looked at the Adventure 950 for 11,999 so that was considerably cheaper. What's the 990 going for?

I not sure what the pricing was. About a year ago I looked at the Adventure 950 for 11,999 so that was considerably cheaper. What's the 990 going for?
The 950's retail for 14,000. The GS starts at 15, roundly. I had forgotten that the 990 was coming out so, figger 14,500 or more cuz they went fuelie this time in addition to the extra cc's.

Holy Schneggies!!!!!! First, you can't get the 990 Stateside (yet) second, they retail for 8,895 BPS in England, that's 17,518 US!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink:

The GB GS goes for 9095 BPS or 17,914 USD. No contest, IMO.

Holy Schneggies!!!!!! First, you can't get the 990 Stateside (yet) second, they retail for 8,895 BPS in England, that's 17,518 US!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink:
Don't forget that the price you found probably includes the 17 or so % in VAT. The KTM IMO will not be anywhere near 18K OTD, that sticker shock there is reserved for the mature BMW owner's amongst us. ;)

Don't forget that the price you found probably includes the 17 or so % in VAT. The KTM IMO will not be anywhere near 18K OTD, that sticker shock there is reserved for the mature BMW owner's amongst us. ;)
Yes, you are correct about the VAT. That should put the price right @ 14,500 USD. Damn. I a good guesser! :D

Latest posts