Sometimes yer just stoopid

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creg-ny-baa

Reaction score
And sometimes, apparently you're serially stoopid.

I'll admit it, I'm pretty thrifty. Not necessarily cheap, but creative and patient if it'll save some cash. But, I'm usually pretty thorough with my research before money leaves my hands.

Usually.

Word to the wise: Pay attention to when eBay auctions end. Nobody's paying attention on Sunday afternoon at 2:37. So, don't throw bids at items that end then, while convincing yourself that "no way I'll get that, somebody'll out bid me, no sweat.

That's how I ended up with my current camera. It was a pretty good deal so...

I enjoy macro photography. There is a dedicated "ring flash" for my camera that allows flash shooting at oh, the distance of a half inch. Spendy, though, so no way I'll get one.

Then, one Saturday morning, I see that one I've been watching on eBay is still at a very attractive price. Seller has 100% positive feedback, with a pretty high score. So, I toss a nothing bid at the thing. eBay mistakenly tells me it wasn't enough, so I toss a slightly higher nothing bid in. Sunday morning comes- still the high bid.. Sunday noon- same thing. 2:38 (again): I own it. Still, not bad, if I don't like it, I can come out better than even if I sell it.

And then I look closer...the seller is in Croatia. Gah.

To shorten the (stoopid) story a bit, the last update from Croatia Post tracking was December 10, "Item placed in bag."

Did I mention the combination of chea... er... thrifty and stoopid?

I am upgrading my phone at the end of the month. So, there's the obligatory need for a case. I dutifully shop for the case I'm looking for. I find the website "Wackydot.com." The prices are good, and the online security credentials look to be in order. So, last Thursday, I pony up for a case and a screen protector, congratulating myself on my shopping skilz. No info over the weekend. Today I get the "shipped" notice.

From Hong Kong. I'm giving the credit card to the wife.

I've learned the hard way that when I log into EBay to be sure to change my search are to US only or at best North America only.

Good luck!

I buy from all over the world. I've had stuff shipped from China .Japan ,Great Britain , Russia , Australia , US and Canada to name a few. I always check how much shipping is first. I have always received my purchases. Some take a little longer to arrive but I've always got them.

Just read Rushes EWI ha ha ha . I have an entire extra FJR1300 and a Jeep because of booze .

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
I broke the oil pump cable on my CT3. After a very long search, I found two listings for a NOS cable. The first one was on eBay and the seller was right here in the USA...he wanted $165 or something crazy like that.

The other one I found via an extensive Google search, in the Netherlands. Several emails back and forth to confirm that he actually still had it, could ship it to me here in Ohio, how to pay and how much. 16 euro, shipped to my door, paid with PayPal. I figured if it's a fraud, no big deal, not out that much money. Ordered it almost a month ago, got it today in perfect condition.

There's still hope.

I pick up my first "shipped from china" parcel tomorrow

2 corsets for less than $40

Haute couture it ain't, nor expected to be

I always make it a point to check the location of seller before I buy or bid on anything - not just ebay either. Amazon or whatever...

Hope it shows up and you get your recent "Item placed in bag"

I have yet to get into macro photography, but I also have way to many hobbies..... Blew my wad on a nice 70-200 F2.8 though.... Man thats a nice lens, great for the track and getting those Superbikes - and sports shots....

Perhaps you can post up some of your pics....

2 corsets
You did that on purpose. Going to be difficult to think of anything else today...and I have a lot to do. Thanks.
Yer welcome....

I guess I could have mentioned I bought 2 shirts as well. All 4 items were less than $60, so we'll see. I don't see the corsets staying on for long, so they don't need to be top quality...
evilsmiley.png

2 corsets
You did that on purpose. Going to be difficult to think of anything else today...and I have a lot to do. Thanks.
Yer welcome....

I guess I could have mentioned I bought 2 shirts as well. All 4 items were less than $60, so we'll see. I don't see the corsets staying on for long, so they don't need to be top quality...
evilsmiley.png

Oh good gawd, STOP it!... my brain can't think anymooooooore.,..
blushing.gif

I had a good EWI experience.

I'm literally in Shanghai on business travel, and due to the 15 hour time zone difference, I can't sleep. A few drinks did not help. So at 2 am, I log onto the Internet and open up EBay. It immediately recommends a few items from a search I did months earlier, looking for parts to replace on my Matchless. About 18 months earlier, I was riding the Matchless at a vintage event when the speedo drive bound up, snapping the Speedo cable and started heating up, eventually heat-welding the retaining bolt and wrapping the speedo cable around the rear axle. My pal behind me saw it just before it seized up and pitched me off. I was able to machine the axle back, and cables are plentiful, but the original Smiths speedo drive was ruined.

The second recommended EBay item is a Smiths 2:1 speedo drive. I've been searching for this part, used, for a year, and here it is from a guy in England.New Old Stock. Still has the original stickers on it.

For...$150. Total Unicorn find.

The only time a corset looks good on a woman is when the woman does not need a corset....
thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I pick up my first "shipped from china" parcel tomorrow
2 corsets for less than $40

Haute couture it ain't, nor expected to be
Any chance of an "install" write up? Photos?

(Sorry, barb, 'cause I don't even know you ......... but it was just too easy.)