Southern AZ ride in November

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregory

Great things are afoot
Reaction score
Greetings all,

I am thinking about putting together what would pretty much amount to a day ride for us in Tucson. I ran this route the other day and it is a very nice ride with a lot of sweepers and some twisties. I am thinking about the weekend of November 8th, which is the weekend before Veterans Day (Tuesday the 11th). If your one of those who can make a 4 day weekend out of it, the ending point in Sonoita puts you in easy range of much of Southern Arizona (Bisbee, Nogales Tombstone,ect) For those of you who drink the dual sport kool-aid, there are some trails off the highway that look like they could be fun (I don't have an off-road map, so I really don't know where they all go, but, isnt that the point?). The complete circuit (Tucson to Tucson) takes about 4 hours and there are a coupla restaurants in Sonoita that aren't to bad. There is also a winery in Sonoita that offers tasting for keeping those pillion's happy. I can't speak to the quality though. There is an inn in Sonoita as well if interested in staying the night.

This is my first attempt at putting a ride together, so play nice please!

Let me know if interested,

Thanks,

Greg.

https://www.mapquest.com/mq/6-g724nc6nWrG7

Modified route.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my first attempt at putting a ride together, so play nice please!Thanks
Greg, are you sure you want to include this part?:

1: Start out going NORTHWEST toward RUBY RD. 0.3 mi

2: Turn RIGHT onto RUBY RD (Portions unpaved). 14.2 mi

3: Turn RIGHT onto AZ-289 E/RUBY RD. 9.5 mi

If memory serves? -- the route past the old ghost town of Ruby is pretty rough gravel (and may not be too FJR friendly?). Especially for those who may be 'gravel-averse'....?

Or, have they paved it since I last rode thar way?

You're welcome

I have not actually rode that part and assumed the it would be paved and I did not catch that bit in the Mapquest directions. I rode the Amado to Arivaca part and thought the going through Ruby would be a way to avoid the slab . Thanks for the info, I will try to ride down there next weekend and see what's up. In the meantime, I will modofy the route to head through Amado.

Greg.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...40&start=40 Hi Greg, If you would consider moving this ride to Sunday, November 16 I can guarantee we can get a dozen riders to your first Southern Arizona Ride Posting.

As Sergeant Ashby said, there are already a dozen Zonies going to Laughlin on the November 8 weekend to meet up with Richard - Fairlaner and the Southern California FJR Riders Group. I'll ride your dirt section on my new BMW F650GS Twin!

Thanks FJRobert & Beemerdons,

I can move the date no problem.

I will have to see about the $$$$$ for Laughlin though. I have a CC install on turkey day and a trip to Rocky Point Mexico then to Vegas for Jimmy Buffett planned in Oct.

****************Now scheduled for Sunday, November 16th.**********************

If you guys can get me a head count, I will go down to Sonoita in a couple weeks and make sure we can all fit in for lunch/brunch.

Thanks,

Greg

Will do, Greg! It makes it easier and more responsive when posting a trip (I hope you don't mind some advice from an old timer!) if you start out your ride posting with the departure place and time. Something like: "Sonoita Ride on Sunday, November 16 at 10 AM. Departure point is The Waffle House located at Exit XX on Interstate 10, Address for MapQuest.com is XXX E. FJR Road, South Tucson. Hombres: Kickstands will be up and clutches will promptly be out at 1000 hours sharp!"

If you can let me know an exact time of departure and a place, I will post it to www.azbeemers.org for them to attend this!!

I don't mind advice at all, thanks for giving it!

Most of I-10 is tore up at the moment, so our departure will be from the Mcdonald's at Kinney road and Ajo. 10 am will allow you Phoencians plenty of time to stroll down south.

Thanks

Greg

On Sunday, November 16 we're joining the Arizona FJR Forum for a Group Ride of Buenos Aires Reserve.

https://www.mapquest.com/mq/6-g724nc6nWrG7 Join friend Gregory from www.fjrforum.com and Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina" on a 400 mile romp through beautiful Southern Arizona. Temps will be great!

We depart at 1000 hours from the McDonald's Restaurant located at 4960 West Ajo Highway, Tucson, Arizona 85746. It's 100 miles South of Chandler and here are the turn by turn directions from MapQuest:

1) Merge onto I-10 via the ramp on the LEFT - 60.3 mi. 2) Take EXIT 236 toward MARANA - 0.4 mi. 3) Turn RIGHT onto North SANDARIO Road - 0.1 mi. 4) Turn RIGHT onto West MARANA Road - 1.0 mi. 5) Turn LEFT onto North SANDERS Road - 4.0 mi. 6) Turn LEFT onto West AVRA Valley Road - 1.0 mi. 7) Turn RIGHT onto North SANDARIO Road - 9.1 mi. 8 Turn Left onto North KINNEY Road - 11.8 mi. 9) Turn LEFT onto AZ-86 East - 0.5 mi. 10) Make a U-TURN at South CAMINO DE OESTE onto AZ-86 West - 0.5 mi. 11) End at McDonald's Restaurant. Ride is listed at 2 hours from downtown Chandler.

Sonoita back to Chandler is 140 miles and Greg's excellent loop is 160 miles. Fun day of scenic riding!!

If there are any questions: Please call Don Stanley at 602-722-0427 or post Senor Medina at [email protected]

Just wanna give out a quick thanks to all for advice and help getting the word out! Looks like this is shaping up to be a great ride with lots o folks. Looking forward to seeing/meeting everybody.

Greg

O.K gang,

I need to start getting a count of how many so I can start looking for a place for lunch that will hold us all.

THanks,

Greg

O.K gang,
I need to start getting a count of how many so I can start looking for a place for lunch that will hold us all.

THanks,

Greg
Hi Greg: We'll know better after the Laughlin Ride as to who is going. You can count on six AZ Beemers already going! Unlike these Phoenix FJR shitheads, the BMW guys are actually well organized. Organizing an Arizona FJR Forum Ride is exactly like herding cats, except it is a hell of a lot easier to herd cats. Why am I fucking telling you this? Take a close look at SkooterG!!!

O.K gang,

THanks,

Greg
Hi Greg: We'll know better after the Laughlin Ride as to who is going. You can count on six AZ Beemers already going! Unlike these Phoenix FJR shitheads, the BMW guys are actually well organized. Organizing an Arizona FJR Forum Ride is exactly like herding cats, except it is a hell of a lot easier to herd cats. Why am I fucking telling you this? Take a close look at SkooterG!!!

You know the more I think about it, the more I see it. He pisses and moans like a cat. Does nothing but sit around and lounge all day, but still seems to be constantly occupied doing god knows what. Still gets attention from the ladies even though he has nothing to offer. All he needs is a little bell around his neck and they'd be indistinguishable!

Is this ride still on for this Sunday?

No response to this post in a while.

Joe

Hi Joe: PeteK12GT, SHOPTEACH and Dr. Bob Flanders from AZ Beemers are still going. They are leaving the Starbuck's in South Chandler at 0730, taking Pinal Parkway 79. Looks like an FJR ride, with all the bikes being BMW's instead of Yamaha!