Southern Utah Trip -- 12-16 May

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveT

Reaction score
My Colorado High Country Cruisers group will be heading down to Southern Utah for a 5-day trip starting Saturday. Should be a great time, and I just love riding through this awesome country. It looks like we'll have about 10 bikes on the trip, so we'll break down into two groups for some of the riding for sure. Should be a mix of bikes, including 1 Blue FJR1300 (mine), 2 silver ST1300s, 5 or 6 Valks, and a VTX1300. If you see us, give us a yell. Our plan is:

Sat, 12 May: Morrison > Antero Junction Meeting Spot (to meet me and any Colorado Springs riders) > Montrose > Ridgeway > Norwood > CO-141 > Monticello > Blanding (~431 miles)

LODGING: Best Western Gateway Inn (AAA ***)

Sun, 13 May: Blanding > UT-95 > UT-261 > Moqui Dugway > Gooseneck State Park > Mexican Hat > Monument Valley > Kayenta > Page > Whites Ferry > Jacob Lake > Kanab > Mt. Carmel Junction > Zion NP > Springdale

NOTE: Jacob Lake is the turn off to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, but to do this trip in 5 days does not allow time to visit the North Rim (adds ~100 more miles, plus time required for seeing the North Rim).

Lodging: Bumbleberry Motel

In downtown Springdale close to restaurants and the shuttle to Zion National Park

Mon, 14 May: Zion Nat Park (including time to take the shuttle into Zion Canyon) > Virgin > Kolob section of Zion NP > Cedar City > UT-14 canyon > Cedar Breaks Nat Mon (if open) > UT-12 > Red Canyon > Ruby's Inn (Bryce Canyon Nat Park) (~146 miles) Tour Bryce Canyon in the evening

LODGING: Best Western Ruby's Inn (AAA ***)

Tue, 15 May: Ruby's Inn > UT-12 > Escalante > Grand Staircase-Escalante Nat Mon > Boulder (side ride out of Boulder on Burr Trail Road and return) > Torrey Mountain > Torrey (~172 miles) Tour Capitol Reef Nat Park in the evening

LODGING: Wonderland Inn (AAA ***)

Wed, 16 May: Torrey > Hanksville > Green River > I-70 home (~435 miles)

First of all, I’m jealous. While I was just down in the Escalante area a little over a week ago, we had snow and rain most days. My wife and I go down there for the canyoneering several times a year, but this trip was the worst weather we’ve ever had. We actually stayed in a hotel a couple nights just to escape the blizzard. Odds are it’ll be much nicer on your trip.

Secondly, if you’re passing through Gunnison this Saturday and you happen to stop for gas/snacks/pissing at Love’s, my place is two houses behind it. Look for the house with the bright red metal roof and the cedar picket fence. Stop in if anyone needs tools, assistance, to get out of any nasty weather, or just to say hi.

Dave

First of all, I’m jealous. While I was just down in the Escalante area a little over a week ago, we had snow and rain most days. My wife and I go down there for the canyoneering several times a year, but this trip was the worst weather we’ve ever had. We actually stayed in a hotel a couple nights just to escape the blizzard. Odds are it’ll be much nicer on your trip.
Secondly, if you’re passing through Gunnison this Saturday and you happen to stop for gas/snacks/pissing at Love’s, my place is two houses behind it. Look for the house with the bright red metal roof and the cedar picket fence. Stop in if anyone needs tools, assistance, to get out of any nasty weather, or just to say hi.

Dave
Dave --thanks much for the nice note. If we have to stop to gas-up I may swing around and say Hi!!!