• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Speedo Healer or Something Similar

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woketman

Reaction score
Anyone have a healer or something that does the same job to sell? Anyone know the best deal out there for a new one? Thanks!

Did you break your speedometer or is there another problem? Maybe you would just like to make your current speedo more accurate. I think Yamaha could have done a better job at the calibration or it, because it seems all of the FJR speedometers are off about the same. The folks that have gone to "the other side" and installed a car tire on the rear have said their speedometers are now dead on.

Ridiing around town I just flow with traffic, maybe a little faster. But when go for a extended ride, I rely on my Garmin GPS. My eyes are not what they used to be for close-up, so my GPS fills the bill.

Depending on what it is you are trying to do, most speedometers are capable of being corrected whether they are mechanical or electronic, the but expense may not make it feasible. Maybe you should consider using a GPS.

Anyone have a healer or something that does the same job to sell? Anyone know the best deal out there for a new one? Thanks!
the least expensive solution is to use your bike's clock/your watch/your smart phone and the mile markers on the highway. use the two and do the math in your head for a 5 or 10 mile section and you have your speed compared to your speedo and can then mentally adjust indicated for actual.

instead of modding the bike, get a GPS one of the least expensive ones will display speed and location.

FYI: ALL speedometers in the US are wrong. the manufacturer usually errs on the cautious side (showing faster than you really are going) to avoid class action lawsuits. Change tires on any vehicle (and/or rims on the 4 wheelers) and that changes everything again. It's a never-ending battle. if you're seeking really accurate readings, then you have to re-adjust your speedo as the tread wears down on a new set of tires. IMO It's easiest to either use a GPS or do like we used to pre-GPS days... get a ball park and work with it. For Honda's it tends to read 10% low (the faster you go the more actual MPH it's off).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a GPS, but I don't use it unless I have to (need directions on where I am going). I have done the in-the-mind correction for some time now, it's almost 10% (way too damn much, Yammy!!!). trouble with that is that I also have to do it in my car (though no where near as severe) and I find myself doing the car's correction in my head while on the bike and vice versa. Old fart brain is atrophieing!!!!

That is why I want a "Healer" type device so that I can fix it once and for all. But I don't wanna pay $115 for it (sounds pretty excessive). So anyone know of a good deal???

I have a SpeedoDRD from 12oclocklabs.com on my FZ1 due to a change in front sprocket size. Love it- easy plug in install and great info on web site. I paid 79.00 from them but motomummy.com has it for 70.00 Of course I found that price after I bought mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 'the original' on my ride . . . https://www.healtech-electronics.com/

Link to the US distributor: https://www.calsportbike.com/sh/

For a Gen-II you'll need the 'universal fit' version and will need to cut one wire on the harness near the ECU connector - installation instructions are on the web.

I have version 3.0 and it cost me around $90 - the new model is a bit more expensive, but brings some minor improvements to the table - there are others out there, but they hover in the $90+ range - mine came from e-bay.

I am VERY interested in this SpedoDRD. Do any of you guys know if it can be set up to work with the same wire that comes out of the ECU (under the seat) as with the SpeedoHealer? The web site instructions say to use a wire that comes out of the engine or wheel sprockets (the sensor, I assume). Thanks!

According to my gps and a few radar signs I've encountered, the FJR is off <4%. The SV on the other hand is >8%. Both have stock profile tires and the odo's appear to be spot on.

That is why I want a "Healer" type device so that I can fix it once and for all. But I don't wanna pay $115 for it (sounds pretty excessive). So anyone know of a good deal???
You could go to the Darkside and mount up a CT. I've heard from two Darkside riders that the tire they put on corrected their speedo to 100% accurate as compared to a GPS. I've got mine mounted up but have not rode it yet (seat is away at Russell). So, for about the cost of the speedo healer you fix the issue and get about triple the mileage on your rear tire. Sounds like a good deal to me.

I recieved the SpeedoDRD yesterday and installed it this afternoon. GREAT product at a reasonable price! Easy to install and program. My speedo issues are finally cured!!!! I highly recommend the SpeedoDRD!!!

I just finished about an hour of calibration runs with my Garmin GPS (only shows whole MPH, no tenth of MPH) on a long flat deserted section of road. I ended up with a correction ratio (the parameter that you need to program into the SpeedoDRD) of -6.2 for my 2006 Yamaha FJR1300AE. Sadly, all did not appear to be perfectly linear. At 45 MPH, this ratio makes the speedo read a tad bit low and a tad high at 70 mph with 55 right on the money. However, keep in mind that I could be completely full of crap since I only have 1 MPH resolution. Anyways, it is certainly within .5 MPH now at any speeds that I will translate at!!!!

Thanks guys!

That's because most speedos are off by a % of the speed; varrying across the range of speeds. If the device allows you to enter a correction % instead of an absolute # then it will remain more accurate across the entire range of speeds you ride...

until the tread wears down and the % drifts.

(see post 3)

At the risk of appearing curmudgeonly, what is the point?
Why does one need to know their exact speed within 1% accuracy? :unsure:
No one does. But I sure as heck NEED to know it with better than 7 or 8 % accuracy!!!! As long as I bought the SpeedoDRD and bothered to install it (rather simple), I'd might as well try to get it as close to perfect as possible.