Spider issues on 2003?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can a 2003 FJR have spider problems?
They might have a grounding issue somewhere - bad connector, bad chassis ground etc.
There are no six-legged grounding junction connections ("Spiders") on Gen I as there are on Gen II bikes.

Thanks, I was riding and the engine light came on but no code appeared. I got into traffic and saw my headlights were not burning but when I put on breaks the lights would come on, and the engine light went off. once off the breaks the head lights off again and the engine lights on again. I've cleaned all the headlight connecters and anything else behind the faring then put everything back together. Now the bike wont start, fuel pump primes up when the ignition is turned on but the bike wont start up.

Thanks, I was riding and the engine light came on but no code appeared. I got into traffic and saw my headlights were not burning but when I put on breaks the lights would come on, and the engine light went off. once off the breaks the head lights off again and the engine lights on again. I've cleaned all the headlight connecters and anything else behind the faring then put everything back together. Now the bike wont start, fuel pump primes up when the ignition is turned on but the bike wont start up.
If it cranks but doesn't start, it is probably flooded and will require WOT (wide open throttle) to get it going. If it doesn't crank but you have other electricals, it could be the ignition switch. There were issues with these. Sometimes wiggling the key a bit can get you another few starts but the switch will have to be repaired or replaced - some have had success with resoldering. Do a search...

Not a spider specifically, but ignition switches on the 2003 sometimes also have issues.

Latest posts