Split: Most miles in 24 hours?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

08FJR4ME

-WYNPRO-
Reaction score
The most miles in 24 hours? 1,600. That gives you an average of 66.6 per hour. That's a minimum of at least 3 gas stops assuming you have a additional 4 gallons on board. That would put the average even higher. Is that really possible. I know I don't have a flux capacitor to get me into light speed but dam.

You LD boys tell me if that is even possible.

Dave

The most miles in 24 hours? 1,600. That gives you an average of 66.6 per hour. That's a minimum of at least 3 gas stops assuming you have a additional 4 gallons on board. That would put the average even higher. Is that really possible. I know I don't have a flux capacitor to get me into light speed but dam.

Dave

Ha ha. You need to expand your horizons! I've done 3 1800+ miles days. One of them significantly more than 1800. And Iggy shares the same accomplishments, as do others around here. One of our form members hosts a rally every year in Nevada where the whole goal is to do Big Mile days.

But then those were back in my glory days. These days I'm nothing but a Ye Grande Olde Phart Flower Sniffer.....

Glory Days: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/10284-white-pine-fever/

More current. The last Nevada rally put on by Doug: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/161796-2015-team-lyle-rachel-days-insanity-results-added/

Last edited by a moderator:
The most miles in 24 hours? 1,600. That gives you an average of 66.6 per hour. That's a minimum of at least 3 gas stops assuming you have a additional 4 gallons on board. That would put the average even higher. Is that really possible. I know I don't have a flux capacitor to get me into light speed but dam. You LD boys tell me if that is even possible. Dave
I rode 1410 miles in 23 hours coming home from North Carolina a few years ago. Stock tank, stock seat but mostly freeway. Someone with a larger fuel capacity could easily add a couple hundred miles to that.
Oh...I didn't have a radar detector either. With one, I may have added 10mph to my average moving speed.

Dave
....yup, done w/o a fuel cell and taking is easy the last 100 miles.

B2BiFinalGPS_zpsc8e50ad6.jpg

Maybe the '16 - 6 speed will eliminate one fuel stop on these adventures!
bike.gif

--G

O.K. I have a few unoficial SS1K's under my belt now but you guys may push me to a new level. I see a new ride plan in my future come spring. So since its a 24 hour endevor what time would be the best time to leave the starting point? Maybe it doesn't even matter. The future plan is to turn my current ride into an LD bike when the new one arrives someday.

Dave

1500+ is doable if you set out determined, don't dawdle at gas stops, and don't run into any bad luck events; WITHOUT needing to use hyperspace speeds.

O.K. I have a few unoficial SS1K's under my belt now but you guys may push me to a new level. I see a new ride plan in my future come spring. So since its a 24 hour endevor what time would be the best time to leave the starting point? Maybe it doesn't even matter. The future plan is to turn my current ride into an LD bike when the new one arrives someday.
Dave
The best time to start out depends on where you leave from and where you are going. You can lose a lot of time stuck in traffic if you ride through a major city during the busy time. For example, it is better to ride past Baltimore and DC in the small hours of the AM.

Dave
I'd love to sink my teeth into this one and fully disclose the details that make the FJR unique in endeavors like this, but suffice it to say I'm not going to on the intertubz. I would say exaggerated physics things happen the more you go over 1600 miles in a day. The more extreme runs are rare--Skooter really forged exciting new territory for them back in 2006. Thank you buddy!

And it's not coincidence right about half of the ones I know since 2003 have been FJRs..and the really big ones are twp FJRs and one Ducati.

Yes, 1600 miles is doable. 1800+ is even doable mathematically without exceeding the speed limit in many jurisdictions.

And Nevada is a great place to burn through most of two rear tires and 100+ gallons of go juice in 24 hours. It's just that I'm done with that kind of behavior.
wink.png

fjrbigcell.JPG

The idea being danced around is that if you hold the throttle to the stop on an FJR in 5th gear, it will hold together no matter how long you decide to leave it that way
smile.png
I'm not sure a lot of other high hp bikes are up to that.

The idea being danced around is that if you hold the throttle to the stop on an FJR in 5th gear, it will hold together no matter how long you decide to leave it that way
smile.png
I'm not sure a lot of other high hp bikes are up to that.
Not from me! I still haven't found any place in North America you can do that for more than a minute or two. (i.e. Black Rock Desert or some roads in Nevada)

But, I did accidentally leave it in 4th gear once for about 15-20 minutes at 8900-9100 RPM...not full throttle as I was maintaining a particular speed. I eventually got a warning light, took another minute or so to figure out what was up, sheepishly shifted to 5th gear, and pleasantly surprised to find the light go out and no weird noises followed. That particular ride I spent much of my day between 7000-8000 RPM and marveled at how the bike ran like a clock.

Good grief. That cant be enjoyable. 500-700 miles and im ready to be done for the day.
Sure it is. You don't START on those rides but build up to them. I remember (pre-FJR) only learning I'd done a BB (1500+ in 36 hours) some days later. I was on my way home from Mass Gold and never gave it a second thought while doing it (so it wasn't documented). The documentation is the tricky part though. A few 1k days and before you know it, they roll past without even noticing them.

I did mine by accident. I was heading home from FUBAR's house and getting into Nashville as traffic was building. My GPS was set for Nashville, and since I didn't want to go downtown and I didn't want to mess with my GPS at 65 in heavy traffic, I punched the "Go Home" button. It showed my arrival time as 1034pm...it was around 0800 and I thought, 1030? With gas stops, that's midnight...Hell, I can do that.

From that second, I was set on getting home. Felt tired in Amarillo, but I was very close to home by then, so I fueled the bike, pumped myself up and hauled ass. I was home just after 0100. Perfect.

My unoficial SS1K's were done leaving home and getting down to TN & NC in one shot. I had to take the long way in on one of them. (Snake)

I like to crank out the miles but it does have an affect on me the next day it seems. I am not sure If I am cut out to be an LD rider but I may make a somewhat halfass attempt some day to find out.

Dave

...But, I did accidentally leave it in 4th gear once for about 15-20 minutes at 8900-9100 RPM...not full throttle as I was maintaining a particular speed. I eventually got a warning light, took another minute or so to figure out what was up, sheepishly shifted to 5th gear,...
You clearly don't have any excuse to get a '16 because you absolutely have no use for a 6th gear
rolleyes.gif

Never done an SS1K. If I ever did, it wouldn't be for enjoyment. The only time I came close was on the way home from a short weekend trip to a Sag Harbor to honor Jordan and visit Chris. Great trip, wish I had more time...but wish I was in better shape facing Chicago traffic for the last few miles.

I don't discount the efforts or achievements of those who do LD riding. That type of riding is just antithetical to why I get on the bike.