Split: Most miles in 24 hours?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^^^^^^^ Yessir, that's correct. <edited 15 mins later> ... but 90 mph is pretty much the average freeway speed if you're within 60 miles of Atlanta.

My comment was directed at the bulletproof reliability of a well-designed and solidly built motorcycle that's been refined for more than 10 years. If machines do indeed take over the world, I hope they're designed and built by the same folks who created my FJR.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was simply pointing out that 90 isn't a requirement to success. An individual rider may CHOOSE to run at +15 but it's not needed to be successful.
I know Bounce. It was all tongue in cheek. Perhaps I need to figure out what emoticons are and how to best use them. (doofus emoticon here>

You guys should come over for the MotoGP races in Austin. Then, when it's over and everyone is all torqued up from the races go and jump on toll road 130 where the speed limit is actually 85mph. I was doing triple digits and getting passed.

You guys should come over for the MotoGP races in Austin. Then, when it's over and everyone is all torqued up from the races go and jump on toll road 130 where the speed limit is actually 85mph. I was doing triple digits and getting passed.
I plan to be at the race, and looking forward to it...
thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I recently had a 1600+ mile day just under 23 hours. I can tell you 1000 mile days are ok 1500 was pushing it the last 100 miles was not fun. It might have been an easier day if I had not lost about 3 hours in total for wrecks and or construction blocking the interstates and having to re-route. I did a 50 cc and wanted to accomplish the BBG to get day one done, the 2nd day was a walk in the park. On my way home I took my time but just outside of Atlanta I looked at the mileage to home just around 1200 miles and said WTF and drove straight through. I will admit that having a fuel cell makes long miles easier. I can easily make 300 miles before refueling but have found my arse is rated for about 250-275 miles.

I topped 1,500 miles in less than 24 hours during a 50CC coast-to-coast IBA run in 2012. It was necessary because severe weather had stopped me just that far from the finish in San Diego. I really had no choice but I would never do it again unless there was something serious at stake.

When I'm just wanderin' around having fun, a good day is just about 6-700 miles. The shortest travel day I ever rode was128 miles in Colorado. I started in Cortez, went through Durango and Silverton and wound up the day in Ouray. The scenery was just so spectacular, I had to stop riding to look at it. I highly recommend the Million Dollar Highway between Silverton and Ouray. For my money, it is the best 23 miles of road in the USA.

The shortest travel day I ever rode was 128 miles in Colorado. I started in Cortez, went through Durango and Silverton and wound up the day in Ouray. The scenery was just so spectacular, I had to stop riding to look at it. I highly recommend the Million Dollar Highway between Silverton and Ouray. For my money, it is the best 23 miles of road in the USA.
Those miles count double though, because you have to slow down and all that moving the bike around, it's quite unlike blasting down the highway. I was doing 350 miles per day in Colorado and I think that was more tiring than my Saddle Sore day. No way I think I could do the twisty butt ride.

Those miles count double though, because you have to slow down and all that moving the bike around, it's quite unlike blasting down the highway. I was doing 350 miles per day in Colorado and I think that was more tiring than my Saddle Sore day. No way I think I could do the twisty butt ride.
Every year the Colorado Freewheelers do an organized 1000-N-24 ride and it was definitely the most challenging Saddle Sore I've ever ridden. The year I rode it the route included the Million Dollar Highway, the Highway of Legends, and Independence Pass.

800 miles in 12 -14 hrs is pretty much my comfort limit. I did 1100 once in 24 hrs but stopped for 5 hrs sleep in a motel.
smile.png

Tales from Days of Yore: 1975

I bought a new Suzuki GT 550 RamAir from my uncles dealership in New Ulm, Minnesota in 1975. Rode it to Mansfield, Ohio in one day. I stayed off the Interstates but picked up US 30 as soon as I could. I can't remember the exact route, but it would have been close to 775 miles. Wearing a helmet, gloves, a medium weight non-motorcycle jacket, jeans, and boots. No windshield, no fairing, and the moto was a 2 stroke! Rode through high winds in Iowa, and several very chilling rain showers. Called it a day in Mansfield after I nearly rear-ended the car in front of me. Yep, I was only 19, and didn't know I wasn't supposed to do such things.