*Spolier* AMA Mid Ohio and MotoGP Germany

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

Reaction score
Was a good weekend for Team Blue. Josh Hayes wins both AMA Superbike Races (BBoz 2nd in race 2). Josh Day wins AMA SuperSport. Rossi/Lorenzo go 1-2 in MotoGP.

Was a good weekend for Team Blue. Josh Hayes wins both AMA Superbike Races (BBoz 2nd in race 2). Josh Day wins AMA SuperSport. Rossi/Lorenzo go 1-2 in MotoGP.
A mighty fine day of racing! Nice little back and forth at the end with Rossi and Lorenzo. I thought maybe Lorenzo pulled it off at the end there but it wasnt to be.

Wow! I haven't seen it yet. What happened to Matt?
3rd race 1. 7th race 2.

Could be any/all of the below:

- Just plain missed the setup

- His 'I don't give a shit about this series anymore' attitude

- His speaking out against the AMA makes them a prime target for teardown, so, they're building his bike to the letter of the law and pulling off anything questionable (granted - this one is a far reach, but, plausible)

As one might guess from one or two previous posts I've made, I am really sick of seeing a 600 dive under the Buell on the brakes, lead him through the twisty bits, then get left for dead when the track straightens out. Horsepower does not make shit handling "competitive." It's rather like TR-6s against Mustangs on an autocross course. If you open up the course, the Mustangs win easily. Make it twisty, they can't even see the TR-6's. You can't make the Mustang "competitive" with the TR-6. They are different classes of cars.

[SIZE=18pt]The Buell 1125R and the 600cc bikes are different classes of bikes, and should not be racing together!!!!!!!![/SIZE]

Fuck, how hard can it be to understand?

That said, the Superbike races were pretty good races, as were both 250 and MotoGP from Germany. I guess we'll see the 125 race next Tuesday. Why the 125s get such "never mind" status I don't know, they have some of the best racing, sometimes 8 or 10 bikes in a group always swapping places.

The Buell 1125R and the 600cc bikes are different classes of bikes, and should not be racing together!!!!!!!!
Fuck, how hard can it be to understand?
The Buell isn't dominating the series. Hacking was leading Eslick before he broke in race 1. At Road America, with its long straights, best a Buell could do was less than .3 mph higher trap speed than Pietri on an R6.

Couldn't you make the same argument about the Ducati 1098 not being in the same class as 1000CC I4s?

Randy, watch the Buell in relation to the other bikes, though. Laguna was a great example, Eslick would exit turn 11 in 6th and enter turn 2 in 2nd or 3rd just about every lap. Then back to 6th or so after some corners. The difference in power is ridiculous. It's not our fault they can't get the damn thing to brake or turn, and just because it can't brake or turn doesn't mean it should be in the same class. The bike has an obvious and silly power advantage, and IMO with Hacking on it it would win by half a lap.

WFooshee: TR-6's what?

Missed the second AMA race because the TiVo didn't distinguish between race 1 and 2. Bummer. I'd have liked to watch a Yammie 1-2. Was it a good race?

I thought that was a pretty exciting MotoGP race. Did you see Nicky's practice crash where he takes out Canepa? He looks like a safety taking down a running back. It's right at the end of this 1 minute YouTube clip (can't embed this video):

P.S.: The on board shot of Melandri (I think) high-siding is pretty spectacular too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Randy, watch the Buell in relation to the other bikes, though. Laguna was a great example, Eslick would exit turn 11 in 6th and enter turn 2 in 2nd or 3rd just about every lap. Then back to 6th or so after some corners. The difference in power is ridiculous. It's not our fault they can't get the damn thing to brake or turn, and just because it can't brake or turn doesn't mean it should be in the same class. The bike has an obvious and silly power advantage, and IMO with Hacking on it it would win by half a lap.
That's exactly my point. Dialing the rules to result in similar lap times does not make the bike "competitive" or "similar" to the other bikes. If he dusts everybody off digging out of the final turn onto a straight, then he has an unfair advantage. He's in front, and they have to work hard to catch, and hopefully pass, in the twisty bits.

And Eslick's dive bomb maneuver was not cool. If he hadn't had Hacking's bike out there to hit, he'd have never made that turn. That's not an anti-Buell sentiment, it was rough riding, hitting the other guy and forcing him wide in order to make the turn. Contrast that with Ben Spies' pass that we all went gaga over several weeks ago: went underneath the other rider and passed, but no contact, no running wide, just an unexpected and very skillful pass.

Couldn't you make the same argument about the Ducati 1098 not being in the same class as 1000CC I4s?
The Ducatti enjoys what, a 20% displacement advantage? Puh-lease. Don't compare that to nearly double for the Buell. Yes, twins need a bit more displacement to get on the same terms with horsepower. Revs=HP, and twins don't spin like fours. But 87.5% more displacement??!??!??! I don't think so. It's a different kind of bike, and needs to be racing in MotoST (woops, MotoGT now) with the other twins.

Last edited by a moderator: