SPOT Satellite Personal Tracker

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Taff- That does not sound good, the lack of tracking. How long did you have the unit in track mode? Three locations in what amount of time? And, when you go to the web site to view the track, does it display a map with the tracking locations?

What about mounting it on the clutch or brake fluid reservoirs? That's where I have my XM Radio antennae.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the info - keep it coming. Here is Aussie I ride with a personal EPIRB in my inside jacket pocket when riding alone, as we can quickly get into isolated areas. This obviously does not give any tracking capability, but does give me the peace of mind that if I am down an embankment, and conscious, I can at least alert the search and rescue people. This 'Spot' could be a far better alternative for LD riding.

What about mounting it on the clutch or brake fluid reservoirs? That's where I have my XM Radio antennae.
Thats a great idea, thanks for that!

Is there a RAM mount for the reservoirs?

TIA,

Ride safe,
Check out Skyway's website. He may have some options: www.skywaymoto.com and look at either the GXM or radar detector mounts. Otherwise, check out any number of sites that have Ram, I am pretty sure there is one for the reservoir covers.

Thats a great idea, thanks for that!

Is there a RAM mount for the reservoirs?

TIA,

Ride safe,
Check out Skyway's website. He may have some options: www.skywaymoto.com and look at either the GXM or radar detector mounts. Otherwise, check out any number of sites that have Ram, I am pretty sure there is one for the reservoir covers.
Thanks for the info.

Ride safe.

Thanks for all the info - keep it coming. Here is Aussie I ride with a personal EPIRB in my inside jacket pocket when riding alone, as we can quickly get into isolated areas. This obviously does not give any tracking capability, but does give me the peace of mind that if I am down an embankment, and conscious, I can at least alert the search and rescue people. This 'Spot' could be a far better alternative for LD riding.
Having lived in Aussie I know how vast that Country is in terms of distance between towns and Cities - :) )

Having an EPIRB is also a great idea and now I have the SPOT it seems to be much more of a personal "thing" meaning that family and friends can at least see I am OK etc.

Going to call tech support on Monday to ask about multiple logins to my account for the purpose of checking my position updates.

One interesting thing about the position reports is that all times are GMT (UTC) which means that the people you choose to check for tracking have to add or subtract time to get actual local time and day/date - :) )

Ride safe,

have a QB on me - :) )

Taff- That does not sound good, the lack of tracking. How long did you have the unit in track mode? Three locations in what amount of time? And, when you go to the web site to view the track, does it display a map with the tracking locations?
Hi Jackson,

Sorry I didn't post a reply sooner as I have only checked the thread tonight just to keep you all updated on SPOT.

Now I will try and answer your questions.

Just before I left my home I activated "tracking" mode after allowing the unit "warm" up. On reading the manual it advises SPOT to be switced "ON" for at least a couple of minutes to acquire the satellites.

For the trip up to Monroe I took I-5 North/I-405 North and then HWY 2 East to Monroe. Here is what I found when I checked the positions on my account.

1) Unit switched on at 05:07 GMT (09:07 PST) (11/21/07)

2) First position on I-405 was at 05:36 GMT (09:36 PST) (11/21/07) (My home to I-405 approx 30 minutes +/- 5 mins due traffic).

3) Third position updated at Monroe at time 06:06 GMT (10:06 PST) (11/21/07)

If you look at item (2) (position at I-405) this shows GMT time as 05:36.

Take away Monroe position time of 06:06 GMT minus 05:36 (at I-405) this equals 30 minutes between track points (not 10 minutes).

I was never in a tunnel during the ride but I think that the updates did not occur at the 10 minute intervals for the following reasons.

1) Unit may have had trouble with "locking on" to satellites (some GPS tracking units never work well here in the PNW because of the low orbits and our higher latitude).

2) After a clear sky but cold start at home (31F) the mist covered most of HWY 2 into Monroe) so this may have caused interference with satallite coverage.

So I tested the unit the next day around 10:30 am PST in clear sky conditions and guess what, track updates every 10 minutes, so I don't know what went wrong on the previous day!

With regard to viewing the "Maps" and track points, you have two ways to look at them.

1) Your friends or yourself (if you set up e mail accounts and phone numbers) will be alerted via e mail or SMS text when you press the "OK" button regarding a position check. The e mail contains a link to "google maps" which when "clicked" shows you a map of the position or track report.

2) If you or your family want to check your position via your account, then "click" the tracks which then displays the LAT/LONG GMT and date like a "square baloon" The track points can be displayed on the map in 3 flavors (MAP,SATELLITE, HYBRID)

MAP=basic map, Satellite=view from space, Hybrid=road designations (I-405) and names etc. These are selected from the top of the "message menu".

Hope this helps,

Was trying to insert an image of the SPOT track page but I don't have a web link to an web hosting site for my images.

Ride safe,

Update for you folks.

Just finished a phone call with SPOT support with regard to the following;

1) Question: How many friends/family can LOGIN to your account to check tracking positions.

ANSWER: There is no limit to the amount of people that can LOGIN to your account, presuming they have your account LOGIN information.

2)Question: Are international telephone numbers supported when you wish to enter friends/family from places outside the USA.

ANSWER: At this time this feature is not supported on the account page, however SPOT intends to add this feature in the New Year!

Hope this helps you out.

Ride safe,

Hi Taff, et al. I just wanted to let you all know I was on-line and available to help answer questions on the new SPOT Personal Tracking device. My company, Mountain Technical Field Services, is an authorized dealer for SPOT. I'll answer (or get answers to) any questions you may have on the SPOT product. Feel free to visit my web site, as well, for more information. (www.mountaintechnical.com)

Hi Taff, et al. I just wanted to let you all know I was on-line and available to help answer questions on the new SPOT Personal Tracking device. My company, Mountain Technical Field Services, is an authorized dealer for SPOT. I'll answer (or get answers to) any questions you may have on the SPOT product. Feel free to visit my web site, as well, for more information. (www.mountaintechnical.com)
Thanks for the info, I will look at your web site - :) )

Have some ideas that I would like to share with you!

Ride safe,

Hi Taff.

I'd love to hear your ideas! Let me know how I can help. Take care. Elaina

Hi Taff.

Is there an e mail address on your web site (Havn't had time to look yet, been too busy!!!).

Hi Taff.

Hi Taff.

Yes, it is on my web site but I'll go ahead and give it to you. [email protected].

Have a great day!

Elaina

I just got this little gadget as well, and in my limited experience with it, if you don't have it out and faced up, the tracking is going to suck. It really doesn't like to lock on to satellites from:

- Inside the sidebags, inside liners

- Inside sidebags, outside liners

- Inside topcase

- In pocket of jacket (this is a bad idea anyhow, if you go down... there's a good chance this thing would be destroyed)

My next idea is mounted somehow to the tail, in the gap between the tail and the bottom of the topcase. We'll see...

I just got this little gadget as well, and in my limited experience with it, if you don't have it out and faced up, the tracking is going to suck. It really doesn't like to lock on to satellites from:

- Inside topcase

- In pocket of jacket (this is a bad idea anyhow, if you go down... there's a good chance this thing would be destroyed)

My next idea is mounted somehow to the tail, in the gap between the tail and the bottom of the topcase. We'll see...
This is not so good. I need something that can be put inside the sidecase of perhaps a tankbag. How about an external antena?

Last edited by a moderator:

- Inside topcase

Hello.

The SPOT product does, in fact, need line of site to the sky. With the satellites traversing all the time, the unit does NOT need to be south facing, as with a lot of the other satellite equipment. I'll see if SPOT is working on some kind of mounting system for the unit since we have a lot of snowmobilers using them with their chief complaint being where to mount the unit. I'll post some news as I get it.

Elaina

Mounting is going to be a serious PITA. If not for the '911' button, you could almost semi-permanently affix it to the bike. But some joker who sees it in a parking lot and hits the 911 button, well...

Having some kind of quick disconnect from the mount would be ideal, so you can throw it (along with any other electronics) in hard luggage if you walk away from the bike for a period of time, yet, still have it accessible should you need it.

Elaina, you might consider some kind of forum discount, lots of folks here might pick one up if it was ON SALE! :)

Mounting is going to be a serious PITA. If not for the '911' button, you could almost semi-permanently affix it to the bike. But some joker who sees it in a parking lot and hits the 911 button, well...
Having some kind of quick disconnect from the mount would be ideal, so you can throw it (along with any other electronics) in hard luggage if you walk away from the bike for a period of time, yet, still have it accessible should you need it.

Elaina, you might consider some kind of forum discount, lots of folks here might pick one up if it was ON SALE! :)
Hello.

I do have it the lowest authorized price of $149.95. The MSRP is $169.99. I do offer free shipping, if that is an incentive for anybody and all taxes are included. Unfortunately, that is the best I can do unless an individual wants to buy in large quantities (25 or more). Even then, the price is still around the $145 mark...

The mounting I have requested of SPOT already is a quick disconnect type of system. We'll see what they come up with (and when).

Oh well. A better deal is REI - $149, but they have $20 off $100 or more. If you can wait a week or two, in store pickup is free. Best deal I've seen since a couple of Internet vendors offered $139 when it was released.

www.rei.com

Coupon code is HOLIDAY7 -- use by 12/24 (details on front page)