SPOT Satellite Personal Tracker

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh well. A better deal is REI - $149, but they have $20 off $100 or more. If you can wait a week or two, in store pickup is free. Best deal I've seen since a couple of Internet vendors offered $139 when it was released.
www.rei.com

Coupon code is HOLIDAY7 -- use by 12/24 (details on front page)
Hello.

I guess if you consider the taxes you'll be paying through them, the difference is only a few dollars. I do offer activation assistance and training (for an additional fee) which I know REI does not. If you do purchase one through them, you can still get the assistance / training through me, if necessary. I'm here to help. Have a great evening!

Elaina

Wow, guess they took it down or ran out. For reference, their part number for it is 7665290016 -- and though you do have to pay tax (for me, $9.48), it's still $10 cheaper than anyone else. Maybe they'll put it back up before the 24th. If anyone wants to see my receipt, PM me.

Elaina: I'm sorry, i try not to be a smartass (ok, that's a lie), but activation is simply a credit card on a website, and read the manual. The thing is very, simple. What does the additional fee for training buy you?

Cheers

Wow, guess they took it down or ran out. For reference, their part number for it is 7665290016 -- and though you do have to pay tax (for me, $9.48), it's still $10 cheaper than anyone else. Maybe they'll put it back up before the 24th. If anyone wants to see my receipt, PM me.
Elaina: I'm sorry, i try not to be a smartass (ok, that's a lie), but activation is simply a credit card on a website, and read the manual. The thing is very, simple. What does the additional fee for training buy you?

Cheers
Hello.

No problem. The activation is very simple, admitedly so, and so is using the unit. "Read the manual???" There are more people out there who simply try to work equipment without even opening the manual. And there are people that just want someone they know they can contact if there is ANY question regarding new equipment. The manufacturers aren't always the most helpful (nor truthful in some cases) so having someone available they can talk to directly is a benefit to some. If there is a question as to why a certain person did not receive a message or if there are questions as to how to change messages being sent or any other questions after you have activated the unit, sometimes it is nice to know you have a single point of contact. You may not need that but other people might like that level of comfort. And, just for the record, I do not get a commission off of any portion of the annual service fees - just my profit from selling the unit (which has a slim profit margin as it is after I pay the shipping. I will begin charging taxes to CO residents after the first of the year.).

I sell a lot of communications equipment, as you might have seen on my web site (www.mountaintechnical.com). Some of the equipment, the SPOT included, can interfere with other equipment when used in close proximity to them. When these types of questions come up, again, some people like knowing who they can contact to get answers from. I can't provide these services, of course, without being compensated just like you or anybody else doing a job. All of the other products I sell have activation fees associated with them payable directly to me. These services are included with those activation fees. If you purchase a satellite phone from me in conjunction with the SPOT product, I do not charge an additional activation fee for the SPOT product.

You had commented on REI earlier and I did reply (see above). A couple of other minor considerations when ordering the SPOT product through them

1. The simple fact that you have to go pick it up instead of having it delivered directly to your door = extra time out of your day plus the gas, etc....

2. If you actually order it on-line, you will see that the price is not just the "$149" they advertise on their main page but "$149.95" which is the amount you are actually charged.

Again, these are minor considerations I realize, but they do increase the actual 'cost' of the unit beyond the sticker price. Buy it through me and you get satisfaction in knowing who you are buying it from. Include the additional activation and training fee and you get direct support from me for as long as you own the equipment.

I hope this helps but by all means, keep the questions coming.

Have a great day!

Elaina Leo, Owner

Mountain Technical Field Services, LLC

www.mountiantechnical.com

Star Dealer and Master Agent for Globalstar USA & SPOT, Inc.

International Dealer for Roadpost (Including Iridium, BEAM / Inmarsat, and BGAN equipment)

National Dealer for MSV (MSAT equipment)

National Dealer for ValCom

National Dealer for EnGenius Tech

etc.

Hello again.

Just went onto REI's web site and could not find the SPOT product anywhwere. Just FYI. (As I mentioned earlier, the profit margin is slim with these so it is possible they have decided not to carry them anymore. I'll keep checking their web site to see if it ever comes back on sale through them again.)

Take care!

Elaina

Elaina Leo, Owner

Mountain Technical Field Services, LLC

International Dealer for Roadpost (Including Iridium, BEAM / Inmarsat, and BGAN equipment)

etc.

www.mountaintechnical.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Elaina Leo, OwnerMountain Technical Field Services, LLC

etc.

Thanks! I missed it.

etc.

Thanks! I missed it.
Elaina,

I'm interested in the Spot. Do you know if they have any changes coming down the line in the near future to address the issues they have such as a confirmation that the 'ok' was actually sent and received and better reception? My primary need for the product is in April. Should I hold off until then?

I don't know if it was a SPOT transceiver or not, but we had a SAR callout over last weekend when some dudes who were here on a skiing trip decided to try theirs out while in a local motel. I guess they thought it worked something like their avalanche transceivers and that they could track it with them. It was one of the units that didn't send up GPS coordinates (I think the SPOT unit does send GPS coordinates) so when national SAR called us out it gave us coordinates that were VERY rough. And of course there was the usual "What format are you giving us the data in and what datum" etc cluster. Our SAR callout includes the local ham radio group so when it became clear that the coordinates we were being given were not good enough to locate anything they went to work with some direction finding equipment. The problem was that this unit transmitted only a few milliwatts on the aircraft 121.5 MHz ELB frequency and so it couldn't be heard. On the positive side, the PLB sends a data burst on 406 MHz but only 1/2 second long every 50 seconds. VERY hard to DF! In the end, one of the guys fired up his doppler DFer and was able to zero in on the motel where the yahoos were staying.

So if you are looking to purchase one of these Personal Locater Beacons make sure you get one that actually sends its location up to the satellite. Also, it is important to register your unit so emergency contact information can be retrieved and be relayed to SAR when you activate it.

Happy new year everybody.

Cheers,

Fred

etc.

Thanks! I missed it.
Elaina,

I'm interested in the Spot. Do you know if they have any changes coming down the line in the near future to address the issues they have such as a confirmation that the 'ok' was actually sent and received and better reception? My primary need for the product is in April. Should I hold off until then?
Good morning and Happy New Year!

To my knowledge they will NOT be making any changes you have addressed. This device is strictly a transmit-only device (with the only exception being the GPS signals received). A confirmation message would require integration of a receive function which then incorporates the satellite phone functions. Talk to me about the 'better reception' question. I might have answered it but please elaborate if I haven't.

Regarding holding off until April or not...The prices won't be getting any lower and there is a chance they are going to increase due to the limited margins currently built into the product as I have mentioned before. I don't know what to tell you on that one. That has to be your call, however, I will sell my stock at my current prices until I sell them. I have over 200 in stock now. Should the price increase, my next shipment will, of course, be at the higher price.

If you would like to go ahead and order one / some, you can order on-line via my web site at www.mountaintechnical.com or feel free to call me directly at (866) 236-9345. Either way, I'll get the order and process it immediately upon receipt (generally within a day of receiving it).

Have a great day and Happy New Year, again!

Elaina

I don't know if it was a SPOT transceiver or not, but we had a SAR callout over last weekend when some dudes who were here on a skiing trip decided to try theirs out while in a local motel. I guess they thought it worked something like their avalanche transceivers and that they could track it with them. It was one of the units that didn't send up GPS coordinates (I think the SPOT unit does send GPS coordinates) so when national SAR called us out it gave us coordinates that were VERY rough. And of course there was the usual "What format are you giving us the data in and what datum" etc cluster. Our SAR callout includes the local ham radio group so when it became clear that the coordinates we were being given were not good enough to locate anything they went to work with some direction finding equipment. The problem was that this unit transmitted only a few milliwatts on the aircraft 121.5 MHz ELB frequency and so it couldn't be heard. On the positive side, the PLB sends a data burst on 406 MHz but only 1/2 second long every 50 seconds. VERY hard to DF! In the end, one of the guys fired up his doppler DFer and was able to zero in on the motel where the yahoos were staying. So if you are looking to purchase one of these Personal Locater Beacons make sure you get one that actually sends its location up to the satellite. Also, it is important to register your unit so emergency contact information can be retrieved and be relayed to SAR when you activate it.

Happy new year everybody.

Cheers,

Fred
Hi Fred.

The SPOT does receive its GPS signals directly from the governments GPS satellite which coordinates are then sent via the SPOT up to Globalstar's satellites and back to the Gateways for routing all pertinent information to the receiving party(ies). GEOS in Houston, TX, the international emergency response center we work through, will get the owners information, the SPOT ID number, the latitude and longitude of the users location as well as contact information. They will attempt to contact someone at these two phone numbers to verify the emergency, however, if no body answers, they will proceed assuming the emergency is valid.

Our units must be activated / registered prior to any signals being transmitted.

Thanks for your work within the SAR organization! It is greatly appreciated!

Happy New Year!

Elaina

etc.

Thanks! I missed it.
Elaina,

To my knowledge they will NOT be making any changes you have addressed. This device is strictly a transmit-only device (with the only exception being the GPS signals received). A confirmation message would require integration of a receive function which then incorporates the satellite phone functions. Talk to me about the 'better reception' question. I might have answered it but please elaborate if I haven't.

Regarding holding off until April or not...The prices won't be getting any lower and there is a chance they are going to increase due to the limited margins currently built into the product as I have mentioned before. I don't know what to tell you on that one. That has to be your call, however, I will sell my stock at my current prices until I sell them. I have over 200 in stock now. Should the price increase, my next shipment will, of course, be at the higher price.

If you would like to go ahead and order one / some, you can order on-line via my web site at www.mountaintechnical.com or feel free to call me directly at (866) 236-9345. Either way, I'll get the order and process it immediately upon receipt (generally within a day of receiving it).

Elaina
Elaina, the reception problem was asked earlier about the location of the SPOT unit and the position the unit must be in to 'see' the satellites. Will it work in a jacket or must it be located on the handlebars. Can a remote antenna be used so that the unit can be kept safe in a sidcase or trunk and still function.

etc.

Thanks! I missed it.
Elaina,

Elaina
Elaina, the reception problem was asked earlier about the location of the SPOT unit and the position the unit must be in to 'see' the satellites. Will it work in a jacket or must it be located on the handlebars. Can a remote antenna be used so that the unit can be kept safe in a sidcase or trunk and still function.
Hello.

The SPOT unit does need line of site to the sky so it would need to be either on the handlebars or mounted some other way (which I am investigating a few ideas...) There is not a remote antenna option at this time. There is a new mounting system (I have been told) being built in to the case that is supposed to allow attaching it to backpacks and the like. It might be possible to attach it to saddle bags (for instance) but I do not know for sure yet. As I get more information on that, I'll let you know.

Elaina

As an FYI to other users, I have suspended mountaintechnical for being an unapproved vendor on the board. Please remember we do not allow "commercial" members without prior approval.

I do, been using it alot in recent months. What do you want to know?
Have you had any problems? Are you using the tracking feature and if so does it work as advertised? Any other pearls of wisdom you can think of. I'm doing a cross country trip alone in May and I'm getting this to give my wife a little comfort level.

Trying not to sound cheesy...................Live free. Don't invite Big Brother everywhere. Have some damn adventure in your life will ya? Am I the only person who thinks this is creepy?

Trying not to sound cheesy...................Live free. Don't invite Big Brother everywhere. Have some damn adventure in your life will ya? Am I the only person who thinks this is creepy?
Yes. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I love mine. It's similar to the argument about cell phones on the bike. For me personally, the stress removed by not worrying about a family issue far outweighs any stress imposed by the devices.

My riding time is very limited and I've got small kids at home with tons going on. A quick push of the button shows SWMBO where I am and from that she can figure out when I'll be home.

I just used mine in tracking mode on a short day trip around N. Texas and S. Oklahoma. Worked great from inside my tail bag.

I do, been using it alot in recent months. What do you want to know?
Have you had any problems? Are you using the tracking feature and if so does it work as advertised? Any other pearls of wisdom you can think of. I'm doing a cross country trip alone in May and I'm getting this to give my wife a little comfort level.
No problems at all. I do use the tracker, and my family and friends have used it to track my progress (as recently as the Fried Pie ride last weekend).

I mounted mine on a RAM mount, works great. I found that in flat country (Texas), you can put it almost anywhere. When you get into mountains and trees, it needs to be in clear, unobstructed view of the sky. Even then, it will miss tracker updates.

The website could be more multi-user friendly, and there are ALOT of improvements to be done to the service, but overall it's a good buy.

I have not tried the 911 feature, but it's nice to know you have that option.

I got it specifically for that reason (long, solo trips).