Sputtering under 2K RPM

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drewmo

Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm having a problem with my 2014 A model. It is sputtering upon takeoff in first gear. I originally thought it might be the battery because my 2019 Concours did the same thing due to low battery power so I installed a new battery. Same result, so I then changed the air filter. Same result. Then I replaced and set the TPS at 18. Same result.
Any ideas of what it might be? Maybe throttle bodies out of sync? Bad plugs?
I rode the bike a couple of weeks ago with no problems.
Thank you for your input in advance!

TPS would have been my first guess but you seem to have ruled that out.
Bad fuel?
Dirty injector(s)?
Vacuum leak?
Bad coil?
Bad plug?

Any diagnostic codes?

Hello all,
I'm having a problem with my 2014 A model. It is sputtering upon takeoff in first gear. I originally thought it might be the battery because my 2019 Concours did the same thing due to low battery power so I installed a new battery. Same result, so I then changed the air filter. Same result. Then I replaced and set the TPS at 18. Same result.
Any ideas of what it might be? Maybe throttle bodies out of sync? Bad plugs?
I rode the bike a couple of weeks ago with no problems.
Thank you for your input in advance!
Since we're just speculating, I'm going to say it's an ignition coil starting to go bad. So, time to change plugs and inspect each coil very carefully for insulator burn through to ground. You might even find carbon tracking down the side of the spark plug insulator if the offending plug is worn badly. It doesn't take much... remember the "path of least resistance" electrical law.

Last edited:
How does she run on heavy throttle, if not good my next shot would be cleaning and balancing injectors especially if it doesn't get ridden as often over winter months. Change the plugs while your into it that deep too. It made a HUGE difference on my 2008 with 30,000 miles on it, feels better than I ever remember it, even new.

Latest posts