SS1000 / BB1500 Tx to Ca planning

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh NOoooooooo!!!!!

BB1500, me no ready for the Gold just yet...will be napping in Lordsburg---at least that is the plan. And I'll have to be feeling like one heck of a stallion when I get there to even consider the gold...just saying.

If things get out of whack and timing is thrown off, then I have no problem shutting it down. I will not ride beyond 11pm, through those roads unless there is a multi-waves of traffic coming and going, will cast the ss1000 aside and finish with a single bb1500. Safety is priority one.

I recall many years ago when I bought my first car. Drove it to CA. On the way back, was in the NM/ TX border area and creamed some road animal. I know it had short straight brownish hair, and ripped the bottom of the car's apron a bit. So, I know all kinda road rodents run through there, and I won't risk it.

After careful considerations of all input and readings, oh and my projected day for departure, forecast a 20degree drop all across the route.

I have installed heated grips and awaiting my shipment from MC-Superstore of heated vest and Ridge Boots....(Just wanted new boots).

The pressure is on, for it to arrive before departure date, as it looks as though I will be needing all three of these babies...........................Hurry UPS!

Wise move!

Now that you're committed to electrics, make sure all your wiring and esp. your connectors are good and reliable. Loosing power sucks when it's that cold.

Good luck!!! Post up when you get there, should be a good ride report!
Brrrrr.....
Thanks;

Very tru, forecast seem to be dipping lower and lower, The last 2 days would have been perfect; oh well; what's a ride without an adventure.

With electrical connectors being mentioned about the wiring. The heated grips I installed are my first. Not sure how much heat I should be feeling. Mine didn't seem all that hot to me when I rode into work this morning. Using my fieldsheer Eskimo Gloves which are pretty thick, but have a thinner palm. Would that inhibit the heat so much to all you feel is a small amount of heat? Do I need to wear a lighter glove? Then again, my ride was only 15minutes, do they need longer to heat up?

Good luck!!! Post up when you get there, should be a good ride report!
Brrrrr.....
Thanks;

Very tru, forecast seem to be dipping lower and lower, The last 2 days would have been perfect; oh well; what's a ride without an adventure.

With electrical connectors being mentioned about the wiring. The heated grips I installed are my first. Not sure how much heat I should be feeling. Mine didn't seem all that hot to me when I rode into work this morning. Using my fieldsheer Eskimo Gloves which are pretty thick, but have a thinner palm. Would that inhibit the heat so much to all you feel is a small amount of heat? Do I need to wear a lighter glove? Then again, my ride was only 15minutes, do they need longer to heat up?
Yamaha grips or other? Full power on? My factory grips take about 10 minutes to heat up when set on half way. Never set them to full power yet but they do get HOT. Yes, glove thickness will make a difference. I wear the 'Stitch elkskin gloves so they are fairly thin compared to heavy winter models. If I take my hands of the bars to fool with something while underway, the grip cools off a suprising amount and will take a minute or so to warm my hand back up when I grab the grip again. Aftermarket grips on my K75S were similar. Take it for a longer ride and see what happens.

Make sure you check out all you shit before leaving. One of the big IBA no-no's is to install a bunch of new stuff just before a long ride. The trade off with going with electrics is that you will now depend on them to operate reliably under all circumstances and if they fail you're probably fcuked.

:eek: :eek: Artic Blast!!!

:lol: Well, I was all set to post a 'knock on MC-Superstore', but as I sat in my office looking at my newly arrived heated vest and boots; I must commend them on a job well corrected and done right.

LSS- Ordered on Friday 1am; clicked on 2-day shipping.

Printed receipt...WTH- 3 day shipping... Called Customer service Sat. 7am, young lady said they don't ship on Saturday, only M-F and my pkg. was projected to arrive on Thurs...(Way too late)...Uh oH, I might get screwed on getting my gear before the ride...said it was nothing she could do...of course I ranted (politely) a bit describing my issue. Well, checked yesterday and they so kindly went in and upgraded it for Tuesday arrival. MOTORCYCLE SUPERSTORE ROCKS! That's how it should be done, right along with Iron Pony as well.

Taking note of IBA late installations; I installed a connection board months ago in anticipation of putting on farkles down the road, so that's really old stuff, just getting it plugged in though.

The Grips, did heat up when cranked up 3/4 and ridden a bit. Trust me; no electrical wiz here; but they must receive more juice when the engine is above 4k rpm or so.... They did heat up, and are a nice place for hands to be when bike is moving.

With that said, I will not be going depending on the heated options alone; I am still gonna dress for full winter battle from base layers-midlayer-outerlayers...

Thinking about leaving early, but I do not wanna be crunching time on my first IBA ride, rather keep it smooth and relaxed and as scheduled, until I get on the road and deal with what comes up.

Thanks to DJBill report, I feel more confident than before...(that means less queezy)

your welcome,good luck on the ride,fjr is a great bike to do a iron butt on,make sure you have nothing in your pockets IE wallet etc.amazing how it will make you uncomforatable with it in your back pocket.take good tunes.24 hours leaves lots of time to do any necessary stops.

Okay guys....it's done (half-way)

Well, made it to Los Angeles; Thanks so much for your support.

Will open new thread to post ride report. When I get back.

Completed SS100 in Tuscon AZ.....Started to send pm for witness, but did not want to disrupt anyone watching the BCS champ.

Was supposed to be in Lordsburg(I thought).

Completed BB1500 in Covina at 3pm (ct) at Super ( B) Mall motorcyle shop in Covina; on Azusa st. (79)

Details later.....

Didn't get to your post djbill, would have been cool; The folks at the MC mall had no clue of what I was talking about. I came through Marino Valley..how about that hwy 60.....later I said.

Guys, my body is whipped.

I put my bike in my mothers garage and locked it up. I will be here till Monday or Tuesday, and I don't even want to touch my beloved STEED-Remington till it's time to go.

This is like doing squats and deadlifts for the first time after being off from the gym for 6mos.

I'm really praying that staying away for a few days will allow my psychological to regenerate for the ride home.

Learned something....Yea guys going in circles for an SS1000, is more smarter than I thought.

But I am feeding off of the encouragement of the post of the 100CC.

Wow! IBA rally; that should be TBA -Titanium Butt Rally. Guys I give you a ton more respect than what I did before this.

Remingtonrider

good job brother.to bad about the pm i sent you.all my family lives at your end the u.s. in pasadena texas and beaumont.maybe i will head your way soon.rest up.take your time going home and enjoy the road vs hauling ass.

Goodnight sleeps surely helps. Haven't decided on redoing both runs on the way back. Can probably run right at speed and still have plenty of time to complete both.

WELL DONE!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Looks like you just missed the "Big Chill" that went thru here. Rest up and take a casual ride home (should be warmer by then)

Looking forward to the RR

Here's a big CONGRATS headed your way!

Wish you would have contacted me for a witness - would have liked to see the look of accomplishment/elation/exhaustion on your face. You'll never forget your first Iron Butt ride. And your riding area just got a whole lot bigger. Perspective is a funny thing.

Well done!

Congrats !! :yahoo: :clapping:

They get easier the more of them ya do :clapping:

Ok, being a little slow on the ride report here, let's post up on the trip details, huh?

Last edited by a moderator: