Steering head question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windjammer

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm doin' a little fixin on the FJR. The front end has been "clunking" under heavy braking, so I thought I'd tighten the steering head bearing. The service manual calls for a special spanner tool. My questions is, can I get by without it? And if so, how? Can I simply tighten the lower steering stem nut a bit at a time, using a drift, until the steering starts to bind just a bit, then back off? Or will this damage the bearings?

I did run a search using steering+head+bearing but found nothing about doing this without the special tool. I'd rather not order a tool I'll never use again, but I will if there's no other way.

:unsure:

I can't imagine doing the tightening either without the tool or something very similar. You could search on +steering +head +tool and will see other threads that discuss the issue and talk about a possible tool alternative in the $25 range.

I'd rather not order a tool I'll never use again
:blink:

Why will you never use it again? Steering head bearings need cleaning/repacking periodically.

And it's not like you can't sell it if/when you move on to another bike....

Alternatively, "donate" it to the forum as a permanent "loaning" tool.

The way this works is that we start a thread in the Tech forums called "Windjammer-Spanner" We hail you as the the owner of the FJRForum Steering Head Spanner.

First, you etch your name into the tool for posterity. When someone needs to do their steering stem maintenance, they post up on the Windjammer-spanner thread, paypal you shipping fees, and you ship it to them so they can do the work. Their name is added to the forum thread as the "current custodian" of the Windjammer-spanner. Next person who needs it does the same thing, paypal's that dude shipping fees, and the current custodian ships it off to the new custodian. Und so weiter, und so weiter.

Last edited by a moderator:
yea! yea! yea!

...and everybody who gets the Windjammer-spanner mails a $1 to everyone who had it before him and then mail it to someone else and before you know it we'll all be rich!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it'll be the: Windjammer-spanner-ponzi-thread

Why will you never use it again? Steering head bearings need cleaning/repacking periodically.
Well, truth be told, out of all the bikes I've owned, this is the first time I've ever felt the need to mess with a steering head bearing. And I'm only doing it in this case becasue of the "clunk" in the front end. I think that like many other 2005's, mine is one of those that had insufficiently tightened steering head bearings from the factory. I look at it this way - the steering head generally has very little movement (for a bearing of its size) and is in an area behind the fairing that is protected from major dirt and debris. Unless the bearings are improperly tightened in the first place, I should be able to ride the bike as long as I own it with no maintenance required in that area. Keep in mind I'll prolly sell and upgrade before 75K comes along, and also that I live in the Midwest where there's no concern about salt contamination like the coastal areas have. That's my line of reasoning, FWIW. I don't know of too many that service steering heads on a regular basis, but then I don't let myself out in public much. So if I'm in the minority on this let me know.

And it's not like you can't sell it if/when you move on to another bike....
Not worth the hassle......and I'd prolly forget it was in the tool box anyway.

Alternatively, "donate" it to the forum as a permanent "loaning" tool.
The way this works is that we start a thread in the Tech forums called "Windjammer-Spanner" We hail you as the the owner of the FJRForum Steering Head Spanner.

First, you etch your name into the tool for posterity. When someone needs to do their steering stem maintenance, they post up on the Windjammer-spanner thread, paypal you shipping fees, and you ship it to them so they can do the work. Their name is added to the forum thread as the "current custodian" of the Windjammer-spanner. Next person who needs it does the same thing, paypal's that dude shipping fees, and the current custodian ships it off to the new custodian. Und so weiter, und so weiter.
Now, why the hell didn't I think of that. That's a helluva good idea! But I don't need all the credit, so I'll just etch the tool "FJR Forum Spanner", and to kick it off I'll ship it FREE to the first user who needs it once I'm finished. Then we can use the thread to track its location as you suggested. I will donate complete ownership of the tool to the community so it is simply up to the group as a whole to manage its use.

If you're cool with that plan, I'll call University Motors and order it up. Let me know whatcha think.

WJ

If you're cool with that plan, I'll call University Motors and order it up. Let me know whatcha think.
Very cool... do it!
thumb.gif

Awwww.....you two are bringin a fukin tear to my eye. I can feel the forum love.

Well done.

Now Warchild, how about a "Warchild-Dos Equis" thread and loaner program? :yahoo:

Awwww.....you two are bringin a fukin tear to my eye. I can feel the forum love.
Well done.

Now Warchild, how about a "Warchild-Dos Equis" thread and loaner program? :yahoo:

What good is a bunch of empty beer bottles ?????????? :unsure:

Way to step up Windjammer :clapping:

Very cool... do it!
Consider it done. I'll order in the AM. Should have the spanner in a week or so. I'm waiting for other parts to come in before I can reassemble the front end and use the spanner. I'll post up when my work with the spanner tool is done. If anyone wants to be next in line, go ahead and PM me a shipping address. Keep in mind it will prolly take a few weeks to get all my parts in and get everything back together. More to come.

Maybe someday this will grow into the "Special Tool Pool" - a forum heading with pinned threads for each traveling special tool. Imagine the possibilities - and savings - for everyone! :yahoo:

There are other boards on the web with extra stock seats that rotate between members. While your waiting on your custom seat getting built, you use the loaner.

There are other boards on the web with extra stock seats that rotate between members. While your waiting on your custom seat getting built, you use the loaner.
Excuse me for stealing the thread butt is that program available here? I have been reluctant to part with my stock '06 seat cuz itsa daily rider.

Excuse me for stealing the thread butt is that program available here? I have been reluctant to part with my stock '06 seat cuz itsa daily rider.
Not yet.... are you stepping up to score a spare seat and start that process rolling? ;)

And sadly, we need two versions, the pre-'06 seat and the post-'05 variant.... :(

Not yet.... are you stepping up to score a spare seat and start that process rolling? ;)
Yup. I'll gladly pass my seat(s) around once I get something built...........(hint)

And sadly, we need two versions, the pre-'06 seat and the post-'05 variant.... :(
Is there a forum section where year specific loaner stuff can be found and/or listed?

Very cool... do it!
Consider it done. I'll order in the AM. Should have the spanner in a week or so. I'm waiting for other parts to come in before I can reassemble the front end and use the spanner. I'll post up when my work with the spanner tool is done. If anyone wants to be next in line, go ahead and PM me a shipping address. Keep in mind it will prolly take a few weeks to get all my parts in and get everything back together. More to come.

Maybe someday this will grow into the "Special Tool Pool" - a forum heading with pinned threads for each traveling special tool. Imagine the possibilities - and savings - for everyone! :yahoo:
I think you should also order the 36mm socket to go with the spanner as you know you can't use the spanner til you get that sucker off and besides you'll probably only use it once.Just kiddin, that's a great gesture.