Steering head socket vs spanner for setting torque

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can a steering nut socket be used for this rather than the special scanner tool? Or is it required that the scanner tool be used?
A hook-type spanner applied correctly will give you the same result as a nut socket if you have one to properly fit the castellated nut. See discussion on previous page. (Spanner type has to make a 90° angle with the torque wrench. Obviously doesn't matter for socket)

Okay, thanks guys. I figured it would be the same torque setting for both, but thought I'd double check, since I have the correct socket, but didn't see where the service manual gave an "either or" for use. Appreciate it.

I made my own castle nut driver out of a 36 mm deep impact socket. I used a Dremel spinning a cutoff wheel. I couldn't find the appropriate spanner tool; and it was wintertime... I don't like the rubber band lock nut setup they use. I think next winter I'll convert to Roller Bearings. I have the faint frontend deceleration wobble too.

Pete-o

Attachments

• IMG_2374.jpg
    IMG_2374.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2373.jpg
    IMG_2373.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I made my own castle nut driver out of a 36 mm deep impact socket. I used a Dremel spinning a cutoff wheel. I couldn't find the appropriate spanner tool; and it was wintertime... I don't like the rubber band lock nut setup they use. I think next winter I'll convert to Roller Bearings. I have the faint frontend deceleration wobble too.

Pete-o
You did a nice job on that. Even two (opposing) teeth would be enough given the relatively low torque. I thought about going to the tapered roller bearings but I have only once had a headshake situation and that was a bad front tire. (450,000 FJR kilometers) Maybe if I have to replace the current set due to wear or Brinelling.

Thank you for the compliments. 😊 I find the forks as a whole to be weak; when compared to other bikes I've owned. I've never ridden the new style forks (inverted) but can clearly see the mechanical advantage. AND that "Rubber Band" lock nut set up, is weird! When I purchased my bike, the (steal) washer was under the triple tree and the rubber washer was crushed out of shape and needed replacement. I understand it's a heavy bike, and it handles great for its size. The previous owner brought it in TWICE for headset retightening. That indicates it's an ongoing problem. I'm not going to get rid of it over this, we all have flaws... just say'n! When you accelerate hard the front-end unloads so ride hard!! IMHO 😁

Pete-o

So yesterday I decided to do my 600 mile steering head re-torque only to find out that the socket I bought from Ebay, which they claimed was for the FJR - didn't fit. So I decided to just order the recommended wrench from Amazon and as it turns out it's out of stock. So I guess I'll have to do the procedure at a later date when I can either get my hands on the right socket or wrench - can't bear to take it to a dealer for this. I may try to make one from a deep socket like the one Pete-o made, but not sure how much work that would entail. Any other ideas?

So yesterday I decided to do my 600 mile steering head re-torque only to find out that the socket I bought from Ebay, which they claimed was for the FJR - didn't fit. So I decided to just order the recommended wrench from Amazon and as it turns out it's out of stock. So I guess I'll have to do the procedure at a later date when I can either get my hands on the right socket or wrench - can't bear to take it to a dealer for this. I may try to make one from a deep socket like the one Pete-o made, but not sure how much work that would entail. Any other ideas?

Oh for the days when I had access to a Bridgeport knee mill.

As RossKean pointed out two opposing teeth would do, and much easier to make. Bring your top nut to a good auto parts store, maybe you'll get lucky... Where do you call home?

Pete-o

Okay so how do I get that to you and get you my address? I’m kind of new to the forum and don’t know if I just give you my email on the forum or what the rules are for this.

Okay so how do I get that to you and get you my address? I’m kind of new to the forum and don’t know if I just give you my email on the forum or what the rules are for this.

[Pardon an Admin Sidebar]

NOW is a perfect example of when taking something to PM and then to e-mail is perfectly acceptable. It's a natural flow.

What has been happening with the scammers is a straight to PM with a, "you don't know me but contact me at XXX@...".