Stick on weights sliding off?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

not2shabby

Reaction score
Anyone have this happen?

1120506077_photobucket_64349_.jpg

1120506077_photobucket_64350_.jpg

One came off and the other slid over a few inches. I've never seen this before. Maybe I got a batch with weak adhesive or something.

My weights are not mounted that high, they are on the flat area yours are migrating to, have not had any move.

My weights are not mounted that high, they are on the flat area yours are migrating to, have not had any move.
Yeah, what he said. They're trying to move to where they should have been in the first place. Stick on weights need to be on a surface that parallels the road. BTW, I recycle all my weights using 3M body molding tape. Never had one move or come off.

I always clean the rims when changing tires with Honda spray polish and mount the weights close to the center of the rim. Never had this happen before, maybe FJR rims are a little rougher than others or the adhesive isn't holding up like it should. I replaced the missing one , i'll keep an eye on it and see if it moves. If it does I'll put them out on the smoother edge of the rim. Thanks!

I always put my stick-on weights up against the metal bead in the center, just like you did. I have never had one slip down. I do clean the rim with brake cleaner before sticking the weights on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always clean the rims when changing tires with Honda spray polish and mount the weights close to the center of the rim. Never had this happen before, maybe FJR rims are a little rougher than others or the adhesive isn't holding up like it should. I replaced the missing one , i'll keep an eye on it and see if it moves. If it does I'll put them out on the smoother edge of the rim. Thanks!
HSP is a "wax". You want a clean surface without wax, silicon or anything slippery between the adhesive and the rim. Brake cleaner would act like a degreaser and not leave any film behind.

Order an assortment of the Yamaha factory clip on weights. They come in 3 different weights. Might cost you a little more, but they are reusable and they ain't moving once clipped in place. They are on the parts fich with the wheel.

I always stick mine on in the center right next to the 'ridge' like you do. Occasionally, one will slide down like yours. My current wheel has one like that. I don't know if I have ever lost one. I wonder if I have used the Honda Spray Polish when they have slid. What Bounce says makes sense. Like you, I have wondered why they slip sometimes, but mostly do not.

I also have quite an assortment of the Yamaha clip-on weights and use those when I can. Those bastards have gottenexpensive however.

BTW, a Michelin PR2 rear I recently mounted took 65g to balance. More than any other tire I have ever used. So much for 'Premium' brand quality.

Alllllllrighty then! Next time I'll use brake cleaner and see if it makes a difference. I've always used the Honda polish before and never seen it happen and I've been changing/balancing my own tires for about 10 yrs now. Wierd.

Scooter....65 grams?! Dayyum, I think I'd have rotated the tire on the rim and see if I could get it better. I don't think I've ever had to use more than 1 oz on Micchy's.

Edit: The ones on the rear wheel haven't budged.

Alllllllrighty then! Next time I'll use brake cleaner and see if it makes a difference. I've always used the Honda polish before and never seen it happen and I've been changing/balancing my own tires for about 10 yrs now. Wierd.

Scooter....65 grams?! Dayyum, I think I'd have rotated the tire on the rim and see if I could get it better. I don't think I've ever had to use more than 1 oz on Micchy's.

Yep, clean the wheel first with the brake cleaner. Then put a piece of duct tape over the wieght to hold in place. then you can polish the rest of the wheel with no affect on the weights. After a few heat cycles on the tire, the double back tape on the wieght will be cured and the wieght should not move.

Putting tape is a requirement for racing, and I have gotten in the practice of just using it and leaving it on all the time. Just an insurance thing.

Yep, clean the wheel first with the brake cleaner. Then put a piece of duct tape over the wieght to hold in place. then you can polish the rest of the wheel with no affect on the weights. After a few heat cycles on the tire, the double back tape on the wieght will be cured and the wieght should not move.

Putting tape is a requirement for racing, and I have gotten in the practice of just using it and leaving it on all the time. Just an insurance thing.
Yeah, I used to tape them up for track days...but the feej hasn't done any. I have considered it though. :)

Order an assortment of the Yamaha factory clip on weights. They come in 3 different weights. Might cost you a little more, but they are reusable and they ain't moving once clipped in place. They are on the parts fich with the wheel.
Where did you order yours? I've tried the dealership and a couple places online and they all say "not available"

Where did you order yours? I've tried the dealership and a couple places online and they all say "not available"

I really can't remember. I have had them for several years. Haven't ordered more since then.

Here is a link to where I mostly buy my OEM parts. Including wheel weights.

CLICKY

The clip ons are reusable, so to me they are worth the little extra $$$,

65 grams, Un herd of !!! :unsure:

Dave