Stock Saddlebag Lock Questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, I am very very close to buying a 2015 FJR 1300 ES but there are no locks on the saddlebags, it states on the Canadian yamaha website that the stock key fits them but the dealer says you have to buy the accessory one with separate key, can someone shed some light on this for me please, thanks.
I just picked up my 2015 fjr yesterday. It came with an extra lock cylinder for when/if I get a top case and the side bags included nylon bag liners.

Ok guys, I just done my first service, 1000km :) and removed the lock screws and put blue (medium strength) lock tight on them and reinstalled them. Are they known to fall out? do the saddlebags fall off if they do? I seen some talk here about people losing them. Thanks again for the great tip

Is there a way to render the bags usable without the key every frickin' time? My Kawi Vulcan has a fix, dremel off a tab, but can find for the feejer.

FJRRYDER,

I can't find the link now but some of the folks here have copied a Honda ST trick. Those folks had two extra keys cut, one for each bag. Then they found a knob that they could glue the keys into. Cut off the keys to the correct length so that knob were almost tight against the bags and left them in the bags all of the time.

What Niehart said. Basically a black dial with the key stuck in it, so it becomes a knob that can be removed if needed.

The FJR bags can't be modified like the Vulcan bags. If the FJR bag is unlocked, it's open. So far, the key-knob idea is the best get around I've seen.

Thanks, ya'll - Now I have to research to find a blank to have a key made. None of the local key-makers have it. I'll try an old-skool locksmith.

Thanks, ya'll - Now I have to research to find a blank to have a key made. None of the local key-makers have it. I'll try an old-skool locksmith.
Key blanks shouldn't be that hard to find. You are looking for any of these blanks (at a minimum, there are probably more).

Ilco YM63

Taylor X248

Curtis YM63

Silca YH35R

All good info and advice. My solution was to use Gorrila tape to cove the screw heads and secured on the flat surface of the tang. I make sure I got good surface contact on the tang and I see no way the srews could come out with this very sticky tape over their top. I check the tape before each long trip but so far I've seen no deterioration.

Bill

A small dot of paint, fingernail polish, varnish, etc that covers 1/8 to 1/4 the screw head and drools down from the screw head to the base plate that the screw attaches to will stop the screw from moving and provide a visual indicator if the screw does unexpectedly move.

You can make ANY lock cylinder work with your existing ignition key. Just get the cylinder out, put your ignition key into it, one or more tumblers will be sticking out. File them flush. Make sure they filed smooth and do not have burrs that hang them up. That's it, install (or re-install). the only down side is the original key will ALSO work to make the cylinder rotate.

OR, you could just use blue Loctite. Like the rest of the sane people.
OR, if you are feeling a little light-headed, you can use pink fingernail polish instead of blue loctite. The truly important thing is that if you are too stubborn to learn the correct spelling of the product Loctite, or to use it when it's THE solution of choice, then please be sure to ride BEHIND people like Ion, HotRod and myself, who have hundreds of thousands of miles on FJRs without dropping our side bag contents in front of another rider.

Stupid rides in the back. Stubborn stays at home.

Last edited by a moderator: