Stone Vibes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radman

R.I.P. Our Motorcycling Friend
Reaction score
Anyone experienced numbing vibration from a worn front Stone? Got Avons on the truck, 7500 on the Stones, rear at the wear bars, front with cupping, but not major bad. Am getting fairly high frquency vibes from somewhere through the bars, varies with speed, not R's. Sound familiar, or is my past starting to catch up with me in my semi-golden years?

numbing vibration from a worn front Stone
Yep, Rad

My old stones started vibrating and howling as early as 4K miles :angry: .

As soon as I started leaning into a curve (no matter how gentle) it got increasingly unsettling.

But I love BT020s and I bought them again.

At 2K miles on the new set I'm on the lookout :ph34r: for early signs of the same old disease.

Nothing to do with past intemperance B)

Stef

Last edited by a moderator:
Got Avons on the truck, 7500 on the Stones, rear at the wear bars, front with cupping
Bin the old skins, mount the new ones, and smile wide on that first ride with fresh rubber. Makes a bike feel brand new again. :)

Yep, definately vibes coming from the cupping front. My last FJR has the same vibes when turning at 4000 miles at at 6000 it would vibe at different speeds slightly. I was running 42/42 and the tire wasn't cupped too bad really.

One other thing.. When I was hanging around the yamaha tent in Sturgis last year, a guy just came off riding the FJR and we spoke briefly about his experience. He mentioned that it fell into a turn and didn't feel right in the corners. I thought he was crazy until I bought this last FJR and the front and rear were cupped really bad. When I turned at 2-5mph I was forced to hold back the handle bar so the bike wouldn't turn too far and tip over. After replacing those with Avons, it confirmed what I thought. It now is perfectly balance when turning slowly with no howl at any speed.

just my .02

Alex

Add me to the list of Stones cupping. My 03 came with them and by 4k miles were very seriously cupped. Swapped out and haven't used the BT020's since. Mich Pilot Road or Avon ST 45.46's for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
FJR came with the Metz4's, been happy with them, but they're almost gone. Had the Stones on a previous ride and the front cupped badly in the 4 - 6000 mile range. Slow turns felt like the old knobby on a dirt bike...... :unsure: lots of thumping and other noises. Gonna try PR's next...

--G

Anybody ever try a Dunlop 205 SportMax? I ran these exclusively on my old ST1100 and consistantly got in the 18,000 mile range out of them. I hope that they make them in a size to fit the FJ. If they do, that's where I'm going.

Bananas!

Had Dunlops on the Wing - 15 -18k was normal. I hear tell that these tires are a bit hard for the FJR and don't offer the traction level some like... That's what I hear - no proof...

Scoot tires are always a compromise. Will have the Avons on for this weekend, and look forward to smooth 'ol Frank agin. The buzz is getting on my nerves, I can only hope it is the Frt Stone. Goes up according to speed, never lessens, only worsens, unlike engine buzz, which of course varys with rpms. This doesn't, and it seems to have occurred as the rear Stone came near the wear bars, and the front, ridden in concrete dust, showed most definite cupping. But I got plugs and stuff to do too, any excuse to tune works for me....hehe :p

Yep, 6000 mi.on the "Stones" and I've got the vibes. Started at about 4500 mi. and has gradually increased. Not over the top and quite frankly I liked how the 020's performed, but i've got a Pilot Road rear/ Pilot Sport front combo ready for install.