storing m/c in storage unit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fitrx

Reaction score
Anybody store their bikes in the winter in a sorage unit (as in a U-stor-it)? I am bike poor right now with a large cruiser and having just bought an JFR. I was going to sell the cruiser once I got the FJR but winter is fast approaching and bike prices are reflecting that. I am renting and don't have a place for 2 bikes while I wait for srping.

I have one place close enough to walk, but before I tip my hand as to what I am doing to the storage unit manager, thought I would ask you guys if anyone has had any problems with doing this.

Thanks,

Dennis

Anybody store their bikes in the winter in a sorage unit (as in a U-stor-it)? I am bike poor right now with a large cruiser and having just bought an JFR. I was going to sell the cruiser once I got the FJR but winter is fast approaching and bike prices are reflecting that. I am renting and don't have a place for 2 bikes while I wait for srping.
I have one place close enough to walk, but before I tip my hand as to what I am doing to the storage unit manager, thought I would ask you guys if anyone has had any problems with doing this.

Thanks,

Dennis
I Know in my area the storage unit will let me put bike in under 2 conditions.

1. No gas

2. they hold the title

Thanks,

Dennis
I Know in my area the storage unit will let me put bike in under 2 conditions.

1. No gas

2. they hold the title
that sucks, not a good way to store a bike, no gas

not a good way to leave a bike, with someone else holding the title

kind of thing i was worried about

I'm guessing there might be a forum member or two in your area that would volunteer their own garage as a storage area, as long as there are perks! :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had the FJR in storage for a month :( and it wasn't a problem. I told the storage place what I was up to, and they were good with it. Depends on where you live.

--G

here in south fla, dude kept his hardly in a storage unit twords the back of the in-door, drive-thru storage place i used...

he'd ride out/in down the halls to the main drive, without complaint from mgmt...

dana

I've been in the Navy for 20 years now, plenty of time to move around and see the world.

I have used several storage units over the years (can't always find or afford a place with a garage when it's only a temporary home)

Many places I have been stationed guys will go in on a huge unit together and split the $150-200*/month.

Some of the big ones have room for 6-8 bikes.

Much cheaper than getting the smallest unit for ~$70 and only room for one bike.

*It’s been ~6 years since I stored a bike in a storage unit so prices may have changed a ton.

Bottom line I'm sure you will find it will be up the storage units individual policy but FWIW I have used several over the years while I have been deployed all over the globe.

Good luck!

Our local dealer has a storage service, they keep the battery on a charger as a bonus over a storage unit. Might be worth checking around.

I have used one in the past before I built my house and never had a problem.

khrome

I had a friend that used to rent one with her brother. They had 2 or 3 bikes in there... not sure, but I know for sure it was at least 2. It seems to me that the policy on this is going to vary. Might be worth checking around.

Also, not sure if it'll make a difference... but she had the direct access to outside type storage. Not the type that's indoors.

Good luck, Heidi

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks,

Dennis
Where are you from (update your profile!) Local Yamaha dealer here in RI will store for the winter. Not sure of charge will will check if there is any interest. PM me if you need more info.

I stored my bike, quad, and jetski at Storage Solutions in AZ. They had no problem but expensive. I went accross the street to a Uhaul storage place and they would not allow it at all. You'll have to check locally with individual places.

It does depend on the company. Some won't allow flammables/chemicals. I can vouch for U-haul, I used to work there. The last storage place I used didn't offer power, although they said I could store any vehicle there. All they had was a garage-style spot open. That was $85/mnth.

Most do not have power outlets, so you'd have to pull your battery and put it on a charger/tender in your dwelling.

happy hunting

What they don't know won't hurt them. Are they going to stand over your shoulder and watch you fill the storage unit?

Latest posts