Strange wind noise

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wellsj

Reaction score
Ok I have done a search with Google and can't find any results. When I ride with the windshield in the up position I get this flapping noise only off the left side of the bike behind me. I have checked everything that I can for something that might be loose and can't find it . This noise really starts good at about 40mph. Has anyone got an idea? This is bugging the s*** out off me

Wells,
Is your wife riding with you?
She was today as we took a ride up through Jasper, Elijay, and back through Dawsonville to the house and I did not hear it, but I don't think I had the screen all the way up all day. I hear it when riding solo

Wells,

You got me...I have no idea what would be causing this noise. Perhaps you can ride with someone and see if they can hear or see something from behind.

Hope you find your mystery and glad you had a great ride today.

Ok I have done a search with Google and can't find any results. When I ride with the windshield in the up position I get this flapping noise only off the left side of the bike behind me. I have checked everything that I can for something that might be loose and can't find it . This noise really starts good at about 40mph. Has anyone got an idea? This is bugging the s*** out off me
Can't help you with the flapping, but amazing the racket you hear reflected up with the shield up..another reason for plugs and leaving the shield down! good luck!

The mysterious feej wind noise strikes again.

This has been discussed many times some time in the distant past.

When I first got my '05, I heard this rattle sound when at speed. I checked everything I could for a loose anything. The noise was still there. First, I thought it was something loose on my helmet. Nope, not that. Then, I thought it was my keys flappin' in the wind. Nope, not that. Then, I suspected something loose inside my mirror housing. Nope, not that either. Frustrated, I finally decided it was the marbles in my head rattlin' around after being released from acceleration forces!

Now, I only hear the noise occasionally...mostly because I just don't pay attention to it anymore.

Just take comfort in the fact that you are not alone...

I too have that noise on most rides... but have discounted the possibility of EVER finding it, so I let it go (serenity now!)... BUT, I also have a noise that sounds like, get this, strips of aluminum foil on a string. It comes from right behind the shield, very annoying. Nothing loose, and no, I don't have a tinfoil mobile hanging from my instrument cluster... strange.

C

Oh, and the "wife riding with him" question was brilliant!! LOLOL

Last edited by a moderator:
On the stock windshield there's a foam gasket thats attached to the windscreen under the "W". I wonder if maybe the glue is giving in and wind is getting under the foam gasket causing it to flutter. The sound could be deflected off the inside of the widshield and sound like it comming from else where. Id pull the wind shield and look, its easy enough to check.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tuck in the end of you'r helmet chin strap and it will stop. Many helmets have a little red bungie or snap to secure the excess or you could try cutting off a couple of inches then melting the fray with a hot knife. It's more likely to happen with the windshied in the up position as the air around that point is prolly doing a bit of buffeting, compared to screen down. Next time you hear it point you'r rearview mirror back at yourself and you'll see it happening.

-Don

The flapping noise is not the chin strap (in my case at least), it's secure, but sounds more like it's somewhere in front of my left knee.

The "tinfoil" noise I hear is def coming from between the tank and the shield.

Wells, have you any idea where the noise is coming from (general local)?

C

The flapping noise is not the chin strap (in my case at least), it's secure, but sounds more like it's somewhere in front of my left knee.
The "tinfoil" noise I hear is def coming from between the tank and the shield.

Wells, have you any idea where the noise is coming from (general local)?

C
No it is not the chin strap as it is secured, the flapping sounds like it comes from the left bag area. My new helmet arrived today so I'll see if that changes things as it fits much better than the old.

I know some have suggested using ear plugs or just ignoring it. Although the noise is annoying my main concern is if something was loose I don't want lose it. Problem is I can't find anything loose and thought I might be just missing it and someone else might have a suggestion.

from the factory the fjr has these cheap rubber straps that go around and cover the hose clamps on the air intake, look at the bottom right side. If they come loose(as mine have ) they will make a sound as you are describing, good luck!

Ankhman