Summer Jacket Conversation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laser Dude

Reaction score
I got more Revzilla gift cards than anyone should for Christmas and took a trip to their store. I left with a pair of nice boots, which was the one thing I really wanted to get. While there, I kept walking by the jacket section and I tried on one Olympia jacket and put it back and that was that. The next week I kept going back to "I should get a better jacket". I have 3 jackets now, 2 mesh, one not. One of the mesh is an Olympia Air something. I like it for the most part. The sleeves aren't mesh, and I hate the way the velcro on the collar grabs the cheek pads on my helmet, but I live with that. I'm essentially looking for a hot weather jacket.

I spent the next few weeks narrowing things down between and Alpinestars and Dainese jackets. I think I got it down to 3-4 different ones, mainly by communicating via email with Revzilla. I'm not in a hurry, since it's winter, so I figured I'd take my time and try to get the right jacket for me. However, I seem to find something I really don't like about each one.

I am looking at the Dainese Hyper Flux D-Dry and the Alpinestars T-GP R Air or T-GP Air Pro and I'm hoping someone here might have one of those models and offer up some advice. I can't go back to Revzilla and try them on because they have all their winter jackets out.

I like the Hyper Flux D-Dry a lot. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the mesh all the way down the sleeves. However, I hate, hate, hate the fact that the male side of the velcro collar is on the outside, meaning it's going to stick to my helmet again and rub my neck and piss me off like velcro on the wrong side does to us all :) I like it because it's got the D-Dry liner, so that keeps me dry should I run into a storm. Downside? It's out of stock in the size I "think" I need and it's 4 weeks to get it (and find out if it was or wasn't the right size, 4 weeks isn't a big deal for me, as I have plenty of time). Also, not digging the lack of reflective material on this jacket either.

On the Alpinestars, I like the T-GP R Air but it only has a wind block liner, no help in the rain. I suppose that's what a cheap rain jacket is for? Downside is no mesh on the arms.

I also like the T-GP Air Pro for the CE2 protection but no liner at all. Downside is no mesh on the arms.

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong jackets? Maybe I need perforated leather? Man, that sure seems hot in the summer, in the South.

Maybe I don't need another jacket at all? (probably more of the case).

I have a good helmet, good boots, several pair of good gloves, a nice pair of pants, so only thing I can think about is a jacket.

Got any suggestions? Sorry for rambling about it all. I think I'm a bit delusional from all the online window shopping.

I'll be honest. If it's approaching 80F or up, I don't wear a jacket. I have quality mesh. But when it's super hot, I. Just.Dont.Wear. Anything more than a helmet than I have to. Personal choice.

I have a Tourmaster Intake Series 2 that I really like. Like the T-GP-R, the liner is for some warmth only. Not waterproof. My brother has a 3/4 First Gear mesh jacket that he really likes. Not sure about the model. I have no experience with any of the jackets you're looking at. Olympia makes nice gear though.

If the collar/Velcro thing is the big negative on the Dainese, I've read about folks having luck attaching magnets to hold collars down and away.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a Tourmaster Flex, water resistant outer shell, remove the shell and you have ballistic mesh with armour and there is a quilted lining (which I have never used).

The only down side is there isn't a Hi-vis, only black, grey and red.

Great jacket that I've had for 7 years (soon time to retire it as it is getting worn at the collar)

Thanks for the info guys. Revzilla don't carry the Motoport, so my gift cards aren't going to get me those, but that is a nice jacket!

The Tourmaster Intake looks like a nice jacket too. Maybe I'll give that one some serious consideration.

I guess it's like everything else, isn't it? None of them seem to have it all worked out. The Dainese Super Speed solves the collar problem by using a snap, but it's more textile than mesh.

So many choices..... Maybe I'll wait until they switch over to the spring/summer gear and head back up there to try various ones on in person.

I have two jackets I use to ride in the summer heat:

Option 1 - Olympia Air Glide 3. Jacket is High Vis, pants are pewter so they don't get as hot as black and don't show dirt as much as silver.

Not sure which version of Air Glide you have now, but the version "3" has a separate rain liner and quilted warmth liner can be added to that (can't run quilted without the rain liner). Also, there is a patch of Velcro loop material on the inside of the collar that is there to attach the Velcro hooks part of the collar tab to. It keeps it from snagging your helmet pads or flapping in the breeze when you have the collar open.

The only down side of this setup is that when it really rains, it is not really waterproof. So, you'll have to carry an extra waterproof rain layer if you are on more than a day ride.

Option 2, which I am favoring more often lately, is a Gore-Tex shell type jacket, like Aerostich Darien, or more lately, a Klim Latitude Missano. I find that in all but the hottest conditions (above ~ 93 degrees), I can just open the neck and the back and pit vents, and adjust the windshield so that the blast of wind off the top hits me at about neck height, and you get a Ram Air effect that inflates the jacket and keep cool air moving under the jacket keeping you at least as cool as you'd get with mesh.

The Ram Air trick is the key since when you are on an FJR there is a lot of your body that is shielded from the cool air blast by the faring and windshield of the bike, so the mesh doesn't really breathe much air except at the top. The added advantage of the shell over mesh is that when it rains you can just zip up (without even stopping) and you're as waterproof as you'll ever be.

When it gets cool you can wear nearly anything underneath (fleece or whatever) for warmth and when it's downright cold can wear a heated liner. Not having to carry rain gear is huge when you are touring long distance two up. Space is always at a premium.

Yamaha mesh jacket that I negotiated into my Vstar purchase 5 years ago. When it gets warm in the Southland, it's mesh gear or shorts and a t-shirt.

Thanks Fred, that's the jacket I tried on at Revzilla. I noticed the velcro on the inside of the collar and thought "Hey, someone gets it!" :) That is the only jacket I tried on. I did like it for the most part. However, I took all the liners out and tried it on and it took me a while to get it all out of the jacket. So much so that I left it in a pile for them to put it back together ;)

Yup. I never zip the liners into the jacket. Too much of a PITA. Instead, I wear the waterproof liner as a stand alone (It's actually a nice little WP jacket) and then just put the mesh jacket on over it.

If you want to use the quilted liner it has to be zipped to the WP liner, but still not required to be zipped to the mesh jacket, and I sometimes use both or one liner with my Klim shell.

I used to use my Fieldsheer jacket liners the same way, just zipped up as a separate jacket then don the protective jacket over all. much easier getting them on and off.

Option 2, which I am favoring more often lately, is a Gore-Tex shell type jacket, like Aerostich Darien, or more lately, a Klim Latitude Missano. I find that in all but the hottest conditions (above ~ 93 degrees), I can just open the neck and the back and pit vents, and adjust the windshield so that the blast of wind off the top hits me at about neck height, and you get a Ram Air effect that inflates the jacket and keep cool air moving under the jacket keeping you at least as cool as you'd get with mesh.

The Ram Air trick is the key since when you are on an FJR there is a lot of your body that is shielded from the cool air blast by the faring and windshield of the bike, so the mesh doesn't really breathe much air except at the top. The added advantage of the shell over mesh is that when it rains you can just zip up (without even stopping) and you're as waterproof as you'll ever be.

When it gets cool you can wear nearly anything underneath (fleece or whatever) for warmth and when it's downright cold can wear a heated liner. Not having to carry rain gear is huge when you are touring long distance two up. Space is always at a premium.
I have evolved to one jacket, the Klim Latitude Misano. The Gore-Tex keeps me dry and in the hottest and muggiest weather I can and do stay kool in a similar fashion to what Fred describes. I wear the LDCOMFORT long sleeve top and bottoms as my base layer. When above about 90 degrees I soak the top and close all the jacket vents. I adjust the sleeve cuffs and the collar to provide a little air flow at speed. It works fantastic, a steady kool flow of air. The LDCOMFORT fabric is magic, it can be full of water but doesn't feel wet next to your skin. Often times I have to close down my sleeve cuffs as I get to coldo while in cooling mode. Good luck with your search.

I have an older olympia jacket which looks the same as the airglide and I have airglide pants. The jacket is great but the pants knee pads always rotates to where they dont cover my knees without constant adjustment.I would recommend the jacket. Olympia makes good reasonably priced gear,

Not sure which pants you have. I have the Airglide 2 pants and they don't do that. Best bet, as always, is to try the gear on if possible

I have one Olympia, one Fieldsheer, and one I can't remember which brand it is because I stopped wearing it when I got my Olympia. By far, my personal favorite jacket for me, personally, has been the Fieldsheer. It's not mesh and it has the liners as well. The back goes down a little more than belt length, which I like. That is one well built jacket, like it was built by people that ride. Things are in the right places, and oddly enough, it's a quiet jacket. It's a fabric jacket or some type of nylon or something, but I can ride in 30 degree weather with it and not get remotely cold. Take the liner out, open the vents and you can do late spring riding. I've used it in the summer a few times, if you are moving it's okay, but nothing at all like the mesh. However, it looks like Revzilla has discontinued the Fieldsheer products, as all of their jackets are on closeout.

My main goal is the most protection with the most airflow
smile.png
Not asking for much, I know.

Having thought about it more, I'm even adding one more Dainese to the equation, since it does seem to solve some of the issues.

Here's my current picks (all subject to change dozens of times before it's time to ride again!)...

Dainese Super Speed - https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-super-speed-textile-jacket

Dainese Hyper Flux D-Dry - https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-hyper-flux-d-dry-jacket

Alpinestars T-GP Air Pro - https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-t-gp-air-pro-jacket

Alpinestars T-GP R Air - https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-t-gp-r-air-jacket

Olympia Airglide 5 - https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/olympia-airglide-5-jacket

I'm open for opinions on any of them or any others that Revzilla carry. Remember, I'm using gift cards so I can't go for brands outside of Revzilla.

Thanks guys!