Summer Jacket Conversation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife and I had the earlier Olympia Airglide 3, and we loved them. I can not stand getting warm, and find the jacket was cooler (when moving) than just a t-shirt. We also crash tested them at 55mph, and no road rash at all.

She has the new Olympia Airglide 5 and likes it even more. The new Airglide you can wear the rain jacket on the outside, so your jacket isn't soaked. I have never worn a ventilated leather jacket that worked well at keeping me cool.

Gear is difficult since we all have different needs and different fits. (But, it is fun buying new gear!)

I have had several mesh jackets but my current favorite for hot weather is a perforated leather by Joe Rocket. For some reason it's just more comfortable than mesh in hot weather. Especially when stuck in slow traffic. I've had it a few years and I'm not sure what model it is but looks very similar to this one,

https://www.revzilla.com/product/joe-rocket-sonic-20-perforated-leather-jacket

Of course it offers 0 wet weather protection.Mine did come with a thermal liner but it only covers the torso.

Thanks, I must admit, I'm teetering on the fence with a perforated leather jacket as a possibility.

Normally for any shopping I do, I walk in, pick up the item and get out. This is one of the first times I can remember being so non-committed about any product. I must have watched those jacket videos 20-30 times each. I keep watching them, and after watching, I'll say "That's it, that's the one, decision is over" and not having my gift cards on me, it delays the purchase until later. When I get to the cards, I take another look at another model and then I'm back on the fence.

I was all but convinced on the Dainese Hyper Flux, the one with black/white/red. Then I read a review somewhere about a white jacket and the person said white jackets would end up splattered with visible bug guts all over them. And I'm pretty against getting an all black jacket for summer riding in the south, so that left me confused :)

That Klim is also very slick and worth considering. I think it's more jacket than I need, but I suppose I could buy that and sell the other 3 jackets I own
smile.png
Then again, I don't have any leather in my collection, so maybe perforated leather is the ticket.... I imagine perforated leather with the back and chest protectors on it probably weighs 15 lbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
"That Klim is also very slick and worth considering. I think it's more jacket than I need, but I suppose I could buy that and sell the other 3 jackets I own"

Exactly want happened in my case. You can probably sell what you have and realize enough to afford the difference between what you weread looking at and the Klim.

I have been looking at the klim induction for a summer jacket for when it is too hot for the badlands jacket. Anyone have any experience with this jacket? I was so looking at the air glide jacket from Olympia.

I've accumulated more jacketes than I'll admit, all good gear. And I pretty much only wear the sedici rapido any time it's below 70. The firstgear mesh I was peer-pressured here into buying is a joy to wear in hot weather. I can't wait until February is done and I can pull the barn door off the bike and put the Yamaha touring screen back on.

My pick (that i own), very light, and fits me well at 6'0" 215ish lbs.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-air-frame-textile-jacket
I was looking at that jacket last night. What size did you get? I'm close to your size and have thought that a 56 would be where I'd end up. I tried on a friend's 60 and it seemed like it was at least 2 sizes too big, so I am guessing at the 56.

I bought a 58, fits like a glove.

My measurements: 42.5" chest, 42" belly (I WASN'T ALWAYS LIKE THIS!!!) Bicep = 14" (arms are snug but not constricting).

Edit: I also have the G2 back protector in there, still fits well.

Edit 2: I remember the Dianese guy saying to go down one more size for a more "race suit" like feel, but I was like "F that noise." I mean its not loose, but if you are not going to get a back protector the 56 might fit you better if you like a snug fit, the arms/wrists are narrow though, and that kind of pushed me to the 58.

Thanks Spork, I'm around 200, same height and will definitely have the back protector if I go with that jacket. That's helpful information, thanks!

I have been looking at the klim induction for a summer jacket for when it is too hot for the badlands jacket. Anyone have any experience with this jacket? I was so looking at the air glide jacket from Olympia.
A friend of mine just bought me the hi-viz Induction mesh jacket for Christmas, he got himself the standard Induction so we wouldn't look like a couple when we ride together. It is a really nice jacket with D30 armor and a good liner included. I also picked up a Klim Apex Air, which is a solid jacket with some good vents, for when it is cooler than 70.

My heart keeps coming back to a couple of models, so with gift cards in hand, I fired up the interweb thingy and added the Dainese Hyper Flux D-Dry to my cart.....err.....what?.....Out of Stock?

I like the Alpinestars but the jacket I like has no liner at all. The model down one notch has a liner, but it's only windproof. The Dainese at least is a waterproof liner. I don't plan on riding any of them in the rain, I'll carry rain gear should I need that, but if stuck in a quick pop up storm, I'd like to not get soaked to the bone. With the Alpinestars, no matter what, I'd need to carry a rain jacket at all times. With the Dainese, at least I would get some minor protection.

But back to the drawing board. All the other colors/sizes show in stock or available in a few days or weeks, only my size shows up as Out of Stock, go figure. I guess it wasn't meant to be, so I'll keep searching!

I think I need to take a break from looking at jackets for a week or so. I think I could recite the Revzilla commercials now....."Hey....this Anthony, it's Revzilla TV where you can watch, decide, and ride........"
punk.gif

Per FredW

""Option 1 - Olympia Air Glide 3. Jacket is High Vis, pants are pewter so they don't get as hot as black and don't show dirt as much as silver.

Not sure which version of Air Glide you have now, but the version "3" has a separate rain liner and quilted warmth liner can be added to that (can't run quilted without the rain liner). Also, there is a patch of Velcro loop material on the inside of the collar that is there to attach the Velcro hooks part of the collar tab to. It keeps it from snagging your helmet pads or flapping in the breeze when you have the collar open.

The only down side of this setup is that when it really rains, it is not really waterproof. So, you'll have to carry an extra waterproof rain layer if you are on more than a day ride.""

Agree with Fred on the Olympia version 3. We really like ours.

We also carry Frog Togs jackets for over them, when it pours down