Sunday's ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supertankerm60a3

Reaction score
Last Sunday the 7th, I rode for quite a ways. A total of 650 miles in fact. I was on orders to be a temporary instructor at Camp Roberts and had Sunday off, but my squad was going to be really busy getting all the guns turned in at Ft Irwin so I headed to Ft Irwin from Pismo, getting there about 0930. Only to find out they would not allow me to ride the bike on post because I had not any proof of having taken the Motorcycle Safety Course! WTF! So I called my 1SG and asked hom to send a truck to get me at the gate (about 6 miles from where the guns and M88's were getting turned in) and started rucking it the rest of the way. I got about one mile before a HMMWV rolled up.

Most of the ride was 65-75 MPH with 2 max runs, one up to 155 for about three seconds before closing the throttle thinking that the slight rolling hills were a little too violent at that speed and the other in the emptiness of the Mojave where I could see 3 miles of smooth road and not a single car. There the big silver beast got to 160 for about six seconds. Now I know what it can do, I probably will never get it there again but can say I have done it.

After working to get the guns accepted and the BII turned in. I left Ft Irwin and headed to Burbank at about 3PM. The famous Mojave heat was really kicking. Even in clean air at 75 the beast was showing steady three blocks on the temp gauge.

when I got to the armory in Burbank, after finishing all the post drill chores and giving my squad a stern talking to about some miss-placed BII (natually) I got picked for the 25% random urinalyses. What a surprise!! There was a surprise though... The guys were surprised that my urine was darker that everyone else's even though I had not been in the desert for the last three days. I explained, "Well DUH! I got got done sitting in a blow dryer for the last 6 hours!" Although I was a little surprised since I had a Camelbak on and had bee drinking quite a bit of water. Oh well, live and learn.

The last part of the ride started at 9PM and ran up the coast back home. This time I had the wind screen up and was hunched behind it to get out of the cold. My neck was Killing me!! By the time I got home all I could do was swallow a prescription strength dose of Naproxin and collapse.

All told it was a great day!! Average mileage was 47.5 MPG for the three tanks of fuel I used.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was a high mileage and busy day! I'll be doing a 705 mile day tomorrow from home to Salmon, ID. It will be hot, but not triple digits. I really don't enjoy the 100+ degree days of riding. Sounds like you were hot 1/2 day and cold the other half.

Thanks for the report.

Last edited by a moderator: