Super-Visor sun visor

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahamlin01

Reaction score
After painfully riding into the sun again, I was searching for a decent visor. B)

Has anyone tried this product - Super-Visor? Like it? Don't like it?

Thanks

closeup.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I use 2 cents worth of black electrical tape. Tape it across the top of my visor and then add another strip extending it half again as much. Have had the current tape on for about 8 months or so. Takes all of about 45 seconds, costs virtually nothing, and work!

I didn't think of electrical tape - I will try that.

(I heard of using the plastic sheets for window tinting. I thought of taping it off and spray painting the top 1.5 inches black)

Thanks

I use 2 cents worth of black electrical tape. Tape it across the top of my visor and then add another strip extending it half again as much. Have had the current tape on for about 8 months or so. Takes all of about 45 seconds, costs virtually nothing, and work!

The things you learn here :clapping:

I hadn't even thought about using tape :blink:

Gunny.

If you RainX the shield before using the electrical tape, it comes off very clean and easy. Just did that coming back from WFO and it worked GREAT! Just one strip properly placed is about all you need, however I had two of them overlapped. I was even able to strip them off on the run to get back to that "full face" field of vision once the sun was high enough not to blind me going east in the morning.

After painfully riding into the sun again, I was searching for a decent visor. B)

Thanks

closeup.jpg
I havehad one of these for about 6 months and have found it to be excellent. Tried the tape method, but always felt it was intruding into my vision. The visor can be unclipped if the sun is not a problem which then gives you your full vision back. I also found it aided the cooling in my helmet as there is a channel type arrangement that directs air into the front helmet vent. I bought an extra set of clips for my second helmet so that it could be transferred from one to the other. Its very well made and I have ridden with visor up without any issue. ;)

I have one, one its third helmet now. Love it. It's a bit hard to get properly located but, other than that, it works great. Its best feature is that it actually casts a shadow over a portion of the visor, which provides a slit of totally glare-free plastic to look through. You can't get that with tape, but if twenty bucks is more important than crystal-clear vision when riding into the sun, as GZ would say, "Whatever..."

FWIW - I use 1" wide blue painter's tape. Comes off easier than electrical and leaves no residue.

Tape's advantage is that it's movable. I take a piece about 10" long, fold the ends over so it can be moved/removed, and stick it at an appropriate level on my helmet screen.

Try cycletips.blogspot.com for more tips.

Have uesd the sunvisor for about 5 years and wouldn't be without it. Keeps me from having to use sunglasses.

Jim

I've been using an Arai XD since I've had my FJR. It's the MX type helmet that also has a visor.

https://www.araiamericas.com/helmet_details.asp?model=XD

Works very well for my 68 mile morning and afternoon commute (both into the sun)!

With my V-Stream windshield, I usually leave the visor open and do not need earplugs any more.

dcarver has an Arai XD too, to which he's added a neat little LED light module under the visor for night-time map reading. Pretty cool!

Thanks everyone. I think I am going to buy one, and in the meantime, try tape as needed. Some of you have said it is a good, well made product, which is really what I was wondering. Glad to hear good feedback.

Thanks again, and ride safe.

Allen

I think I am going to buy one, and in the meantime, try tape as needed. Some of you have said it is a good, well made product, which is really what I was wondering.
Make sure you rough up the helmet face shield with some steel wool before applying the double-sided tape that attaches the visor. Many shields have a coating for rain shedding that will not hold the tape well.

Allen, I've used a couple Super-Visors (my & s.o.'s helmets) -- hers, I followed the directions explicitly and it's worked excellently and as-advertised; mine, I modified and installed differently and it's great, too. Good products, imo.

BTW, do you happen to know Mike Swider in Colchester? PM me if you do, okay?

John

i use eletrical tape but i put it on the bottom of the sheild. then with the shield open it works perfectly and doesn't obscure any vision open or closed.

derek