Suzuki salesmen drooling over my '05 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBIII

Reaction score
I went to the Suzuki stealer today to buy the V-Strom knuckle guards for winter riding on my FJR and couldn't get any service. When I remembered my cell phone was in my tank bag I went outside and the entire sales staff of 5 was standing around my '05 FJR pointing at the GPS and radar detector and other farkles. When I told them I needed the knuckle guards from the V-Strom they actually unbolted it from a floor model and started to install it on my FJR. They stopped when it didn't bolt right on and told me that if they had 50 FJR's they could sell them in a week. According to the salesmen, it has everything one could want in a sport-touring bike...a big engine, big touring bags that come off to reveal a sport bike underneath. Too bad they are stuck selling GXSR's because only a small part of the motorcycling community wants a knee dragging machine.

HTF do you edit the title. I do know how to spell drooling

Last edited by a moderator:
HTF do you edit the title I know how to spell drooling

Have 'em work on "endige" while they're at it, take advantage of the Xmas 2 fer one offer.

Hey radman, not to sidestep the post in question, but could I ask the meaning of your avatar? God bless, Painman. <><

Suzuki salesmen drooling over my '05 FJR
I hope you asked them to clean that crap off before you left, drool marks look like ass on the feejers paint. :D

I even edited your drolling, I mean drooling. ;)

Suzuki certaintly didn't reveal much. What displacement the engine is. Keeping the manual clutch with an automatic shifter is a smart move. Yamaha's AE I think should have also done so. ;)

Throttlejockey, engine displacement of the Suzuki is 1100cc.

Yes, I'm put off the new FJR by the full auto clutch. Suzuki have the right idea and the right reasoning for retaining manual operation as a rider option.

Not sure I like the blue "mood" lights on the Suzuki, but I assume these can be switched off.

Can't wait to see one in the flesh!

Well here is another iteration on transmissions! The stratosphere is a beautiful bike. 6 cylinders narrower than an equivalent 4. Auto or manual trans. Don't think it is a cvt, yet it is automatic. Not like the AE as AE is not automatic. Manual mode probably works like a speed shifter. Dam it is a good looker!

thank you FJRZON for the heads up on this bike.

if SuziQ does produce the Stratosphere for US consumption, it will certainly be a welcome addition to the sports tourer constellation.

I'll certainly consider it worth a look or two. :clap:

BTW Some people (me) might like the little lights on the tank, others won't -they know that- definitely a switchable item. B)

Can someone explain in semi-technical terms why the Suzuki six engine doesn't need a balancer but the 4 cylinder engines need one?

The January issue of "Cycle World" has a feature on this machine with an explanation to your question plus info on the selectable mode transmission.

I like the idea of the camera built-in to the headlight to record rides for enjoyment afterwards. Pretty nifty.

Can someone explain in semi-technical terms why the Suzuki six engine doesn't need a balancer but the 4 cylinder engines need one?
An inline six has a built in balancer-the two extra cylinders. In an inline 4, the two center cyls share a point degree wise on the crank-IE they rise and fall together, the two end cyls ditto. This creates imbalances known as rocking couple and a few others. The additional two cylinders fill the gap, so to speak, which counters the forces a four is imbued with. Car fours have a flywheel to help dampen these forces-we have none. They have vibration absorbing mounts-we have direct to frame mounting. Be aware most info you see concerning sixes refer to V-6's, a whole different animal than an inline. Best I can do on short notice. :p

Edit-article helps understanding

https://www.aa1car.com/library/2003/eb10330.htm

The in-line six 4-stroke (and the similar 3-cyl 2-stroke) has overlapping strokes due to the 120 degree positioning of the crank throws. As opposed to the paired stopping and starting at the top and bottom of twins, a few triples, and fours. In-line sixes (and their cousins -- 2-stroke 3-cyls) can be wonderfully smooth. And, like "rad" says about the flywheel -- the beautifully smooth CBX has no flywheel.

The in-line 6 in my BMW M3 (car for those who only think bikes) in wonderfully smoothe at even 9000 rpm. It is 'naturally" balanced.

The 90 degree v twin in my Ducati does the same thing for the same reason--it,too,is "naturally" balanced.

They are both fun as hell!

I prefere touring on my FJR but,for blasting around,the others are better.

An inline six has a built in balancer-the two extra cylinders. In an inline 4, the two center cyls share a point degree wise on the crank-IE they rise and fall together, the two end cyls ditto. This creates imbalances known as rocking couple and a few others. The additional two cylinders fill the gap, so to speak, which counters the forces a four is imbued with. Car fours have a flywheel to help dampen these forces-we have none. They have vibration absorbing mounts-we have direct to frame mounting. Be aware most info you see concerning sixes refer to V-6's, a whole different animal than an inline. Best I can do on short notice. :p

Edit-article helps understanding

https://www.aa1car.com/library/2003/eb10330.htm
Thanx RM, that makes sense. It also explains why the wifey's old BMW straight 6 and the V6 in her crap '95 Camry run so good (and sound like a sewing machines).

I have the CW mag article and the bike looks OK, I like the half naked look. The front faring looks like an effective forest rat rake, but I doubt it would last longer than one kill :D