SW Oregon Shortcut?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesW

JamesW
Reaction score
In late April I will be heading back to the Seattle area from Gold Beach Or. located SW corner of Or. on the coast. North of Gold Beach a bit there is a forestry road #33 that branches off and heads NE. Past a little town(?) named Agness I would take a right fork on forestry road #23 and go on toward Galice and then Merlin and then on a few clicks to the I-5 corrider, is this viable/workable? The Gazetter legend calls it a major connector, I am thinking it must be paved?

There is a paved forest service road that goes from Gold Beach over to Galice. It is worth taking. There are a few short (<100 yds) gravel sections, most are 100 feet or less. The view is beatiful and the road is fairly good.

IIRC, one of the main landmarks along the road is Bear Camp.

What is the Gazetter and I'm pretty damn sure it is mistaken...?
It is the DeLORME Atlas&Gazetteer, they are detailed topographic Maps of whatever state you chose to buy. Barnes&Noble, and Borders have them on the shelf, usually. Fascinating books.

Been on this road many times, at least a few times a season, one of my favorites and it has some wonderful options ...ie north from Agness up to powers etc

here is a taste on this ride report ....and I can provde a bunch of info and more details of the area if you wish. truly a hidden treasure.

BTW, this ride report just shows from Gold beach to Agness as I went north to powers ...but I've got others that show the rest, I'll dig them up

...anyway, meanwhile, just past halfway down page 4 on this trip report (CLICKY)

copy21.JPG

copy26.JPG

copy30.JPG

Been to Agnes by Jet boat a couple times. One of my planned explorations this year was to fing routes from Gold Beach East to the Wolf Creek, Powers and/or Glendale. I'd love any suggestions for dual sport riding John, or even all-pavement in that area.

I have vacationed with the family twice for a week at a time in Gold Beach; I've explored some roads with the FJR and some in 4x4 pickup, but not enough.

That area is just south of the semi-established Trans-America Trail. Slides, bears (yeah, I had a standoff with a cub near Glendale while I was on the FJR), deer and other obstacles like snow in winter or pot growing operations need to be considered. The logging roads are not always well maintained.

EDIT: Just read your full ride report RenoJohn: Very nice and gorgeous pictures. I've been on most of those roads in Oregon, but usually just to drive through, and never down to Gold Beach that way. I'll fix that this summer. Many thanks.

I still want to find a more Easterly route from Agness through the Siskyou to Glendale and/or Wolf Creek area. The Rogue River around Wolf Creek is gorgeous. Anybody that wants a treat at fairly reasonable prices must stay at the Wolf Creek Inn. It has a great chef, history as the oldest Inn in the Pac North wet, and it was a favorite of Clark Gable and Mary Pickford among others. Owned and renovated by the State of Oregon!

Thanks for the thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
the only thing to watch out for on that road is the rafting trailers, those guys like to travel fast. Close to Merlin side is a great water hole for asummer dip, h8dden but right on the road.

In late April I will be heading back to the Seattle area from Gold Beach Or. located SW corner of Or. on the coast. North of Gold Beach a bit there is a forestry road #33 that branches off and heads NE. Past a little town(?) named Agness I would take a right fork on forestry road #23 and go on toward Galice and then Merlin and then on a few clicks to the I-5 corrider, is this viable/workable? The Gazetter legend calls it a major connector, I am thinking it must be paved?
It is shown as a paved road on my atlas map. I may ride it when I attend the get to gather in Eureka.

There is a paved forest service road that goes from Gold Beach over to Galice. It is worth taking. There are a few short (<100 yds) gravel sections, most are 100 feet or less. The view is beatiful and the road is fairly good.
I would love to get details on the route from Galice,

The sign in Agness makes me want to stop there.

Also would like to check out or stay at Wolf Creek on the way.

I was just went through Merlin last week. Nice seanic area.

I hope to get back there this summer to criss-cross the coast range in several places.

So much riding to do, so little time.

-GL

I would love to get details on the route from Galice,

The sign in Agness makes me want to stop there.

Also would like to check out or stay at Wolf Creek on the way.

I was just went through Merlin last week. Nice seanic area.

I hope to get back there this summer to criss-cross the coast range in several places.

So much riding to do, so little time.

-GL
Check out the Wolf Creek Inn. Cool old B&B/Inn run by the State. You don't have to stay there to eat there. It isn't on the menu but if you ask for the lumberjack breakfast you get a ton of food.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like we're going to make a last minute trip up the coast from Santa Barbara to Bend later this week. I read RenoJohn's report and this thread. Can anyone give me an update on the route between Grants Pass and Gold Beach via Agness on my FJR and wife's Vstar 1300?

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Grants+Pass,+OR/Galice/Agness,+OR/Gold+Beach,+OR/@42.5231775,-124.4245412,9z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m26!4m25!1m5!1m1!1s0x54c57a231cfb16a5:0xcba25ba08e5112d4!2m2!1d-123.3283925!2d42.4390069!1m5!1m1!1s0x54c50d76cd242097:0xa440eb93fcc0b139!2m2!1d-123.59611!2d42.5697199!1m5!1m1!1s0x54c524e7e09b261d:0xd3cf472751839fda!2m2!1d-124.0575!2d42.562778!1m5!1m1!1s0x54dace49bf9ae73d:0x121195079f68806d!2m2!1d-124.421774!2d42.4073334!3e0

Did the Mail Boat ride back in the 60's....

Happy to see that it is paved now. About ten years ago it wasn't; I spent 20 miles on the VFR in deep pea gravel going up and down the grades and curves and it sucked royal @ss.

I can't speak to the road you posted the link to.

Festar and I rode the Crescent City to Grants Pass road and enjoyed every mile of it.

QUOTE (JamesW @ Mar 4 2010, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is shown as a paved road on my atlas map. I may ride it when I attend the get to gather in Eureka.
I did ride this road in 2010 and I wish to tell you that most of it was like a narrow paved trail. It did have frequent short sections of gravel. It is not a shortcut because you don't dare go too fast on it.