Switched 12v near the handlebars?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would really suck to get your bike stolen while your phone is under the seat charging.
Or it could be a blessing if you have Prey installed on your phone because you can then track the location of your bike. My wife loves to lose stuff, so I make sure Prey (free app) is on her phone so I can locate it when she forgets it somewhere.

But back on topic; there's some nice low profile usb outlets that plug into cigarette lighter outlets and sit flush to not take up too much room in the glovebox. I think I've even seen dual ones, but I have a single plugged into mine that allows me to charge stuff. The glovebox lid easily closes on most cords.

I finally opened up the fuse box to diagnose. Yeah, it had a 1.5 amp fuse, no wonder it was blown. So replacing that put power back in the 12v port. I ordered a fuse block and I read about someone switching it off their tail light wire, so I'll use that and then add a relay so I can power the fuse block directly from the battery.

I have this double USB port plug in the glove box now, it provides good power on both ports.

s-l225.jpg

I ordered this one from ebay, but it'll be here from China sometime next month, and I don't know if it'll fit or not. Still, for $5, I'll try it.

s-l225.jpg

My glove box was another issue, the latch broke so the previous owner held it shut with packing tape. I read about someone else having a magnet on theirs so I went that route with a magnetic cabinet latch. Now I can open it easily, and it stays closed when it should.

I'll paint that little metal plate black so it won't bother my OCD so much. It looks like crap, but only when you look at it.
cheesy.gif

I'm trying to get things sorted, There's a Prescott AZ ride coming up November 10th-12th and I'll be riding down there to meet some other riders for the weekend. Having the glove box functional again and having power there is good. I still need a good switched wire in the front for my cell phone charging purposes, OR I could just use a different RAM mount on the left that doesn't have a USB port, then plug in the phone into the second glove box USB port.

I also need to clean the rest of that tape crap off there, I used some WD40 and gave it a lick and a promise, but now it's time to clean it up.

I need to buy some more 3M ADHESIVE REMOVER.. it's expensive at about $16 for a spray can, but it works like nobody's business.

20171022_105005.jpg
20171022_104854.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I also installed a USB port for phone charging soon after getting my ‘14 which would trickle my battery dry when sitting in the garage. Keep my bike on a trickle charger 24/7 when not riding & problem solved. 3 years on on my original battery & still cranking fine. (For AZ that’s a small miracle).

Some do drain the battery slowly, and some don't . The ones that drain it have to be on a switched power source, or like you're doing, charge it every night.

Even riding it daily, I could tell that it cranked over slower in the morning and took longer to start. I'll just get power someplace that's already switched and it won't be a problem.

FTL900: There are 4 USB ports on that adapter. Make sure your four devices won't overload the circuit's fuse or wire rating.

FTL900: There are 4 USB ports on that adapter. Make sure your four devices won't overload the circuit's fuse or wire rating.
For some reason, the ports are marked G G I I.. don't know what that means. I won't be plugging much in there tho, the 2 ganger I currently have is probably sufficient.

Phone charger while riding, and a small GPS speedo while riding. I think that just about summarizes all my needs. Just noticed it says .5 to 2.1, so the output power is divided by the number of outlets in use.

s-l1600.jpg

For future reference, they make usb cigarette lighter plugs that sit flush when space is at a premium like our glovebox:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M6QODH2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have tried those flush jobs in the past, but I've had less than great power output results. The silver one I have now was labeled 2.1 and 1 amp on the USB ports, but really they're both charging at 2.1. Probably drops to 1 on each port if I use both ports. It's pretty much a crap shoot anyway, no matter what they say the power output is going to be, I don't believe it until I can test it.

Which brings me to another great tool.

On my Android, I downloaded and installed the GALAXY CHARGING APP. (You don't have to have a Galaxy) But you can turn on a little charging output number that tells me what rate I'm charging at. Here you can see 300 at the top center in red. (you can change the color, and you can drag it around the screen to anyplace. I just chose red and keep it in the top center.)

Screenshot_20171024-150026.png

That's very useful, because if I'm charging at 300ma while using BT and GPS, my phone will slowly go dead. On a good USB adapter and cable, I'll get 1800ma charging rate.

So I can keep tabs on how well my phone is charging, and I also use this to measure other USB ports and cables- either one can slow you down, and when I find slow ones, I toss them out and replace them. In this case, it read 300 because I was just plugged into my computer USB port and using a cheap cable I brought to work.

Did a Google Search for the "G" and "I" labels: found nothing.

Did a search for the USB charger model number SA08-IG and was directed to this URL. Relevant notes from that website, complete with Chinesey-syntax:

4 USB port car charger

4-USB 2.1A Output Car Charger

Special Tips: The charger is 100% match original Apple charging cable to use .

Model : MPZD-SA08-iG

Car charger manufacturer, car charger supplier, iphone charger supplier, Samsung Galaxy series charger.

USB car charger supplier, car USB charger manufactuer ,iphone USB charger ,Samsung USB charger etc.

Features:

● charge iPad, must be connected to the output port USB1-2

● charging Samsung Galaxy Series Tablet , must be connected to the output port USB3-4

● Output port USB1-4, can charge iPhone & iPod ( Apple phone, Apple player , Samsung mobile phones and other mobile phone, etc. )

Function: can charge iPad, Samsung Galaxy P series Tablet PC and Galaxy series phones iPhone, iPod, USB standard charging cell phones or other electronic products

4 USB output , 5V 2.1A, iPad and Samsung Galaxy simultaneous charging

Load capacity: 2.1A remained steady output , fast full iPad or Galaxy tablet

4-USB Car Charger 2.1A Output

Compatible with:

● iPad, iPhone & iPod Series ( rechargeable Apple Tablet PC , Apple phone, Apple player , etc. )

● Samsung Galaxy Tab Series & Galaxy S Serie ( rechargeable Samsung Tablet PC , Samsung mobile phone, etc. )

074f189674.jpg

All of that to speculate that the charger output is 2.1 amps total; so 1 amp each if 2 devices are connected. The G and I labels must be for "Galaxy" and "iPad".

Note that the USB adapter in my glove box shakes loose about once a month. The iPhone pings a noise related to "charging / not", which clues me in to adjust it -- after wondering a dozen times, "What is that pinging in my Sena?"

With the bike's vibration, this charger will shake loose more easily due to the relatively large (and heavy) portion that is outside the support from the socket. That, in addition to the fact that it is only 2 amps total would make me steer away from that particular product. I would stick with a smaller plug that just has one or two USB out jacks. Note - if you find a device that will put out significantly more than two amps, don't use it as it will pop the fuse to the 12V socket.

Did a Google Search for the "G" and "I" labels: found nothing.
Did a search for the USB charger model number SA08-IG and was directed to this URL. Relevant notes from that website, complete with Chinesey-syntax:

4 USB port car charger

4-USB 2.1A Output Car Charger

Special Tips: The charger is 100% match original Apple charging cable to use .

Model : MPZD-SA08-iG

Car charger manufacturer, car charger supplier, iphone charger supplier, Samsung Galaxy series charger.

USB car charger supplier, car USB charger manufactuer ,iphone USB charger ,Samsung USB charger etc.

Features:

● charge iPad, must be connected to the output port USB1-2

● charging Samsung Galaxy Series Tablet , must be connected to the output port USB3-4

● Output port USB1-4, can charge iPhone & iPod ( Apple phone, Apple player , Samsung mobile phones and other mobile phone, etc. )

Function: can charge iPad, Samsung Galaxy P series Tablet PC and Galaxy series phones iPhone, iPod, USB standard charging cell phones or other electronic products

4 USB output , 5V 2.1A, iPad and Samsung Galaxy simultaneous charging

Load capacity: 2.1A remained steady output , fast full iPad or Galaxy tablet

4-USB Car Charger 2.1A Output

Compatible with:

● iPad, iPhone & iPod Series ( rechargeable Apple Tablet PC , Apple phone, Apple player , etc. )

● Samsung Galaxy Tab Series & Galaxy S Serie ( rechargeable Samsung Tablet PC , Samsung mobile phone, etc. )

074f189674.jpg

All of that to speculate that the charger output is 2.1 amps total; so 1 amp each if 2 devices are connected. The G and I labels must be for "Galaxy" and "iPad".

Note that the USB adapter in my glove box shakes loose about once a month. The iPhone pings a noise related to "charging / not", which clues me in to adjust it -- after wondering a dozen times, "What is that pinging in my Sena?"
Wow, that's a lot of info.. thanks!! Mostly it'll be my Galaxy S7 plugged in there, with an occasional Sena recharge, so i don't guess it matters which port I use.

With the bike's vibration, this charger will shake loose more easily due to the relatively large (and heavy) portion that is outside the support from the socket. That, in addition to the fact that it is only 2 amps total would make me steer away from that particular product. I would stick with a smaller plug that just has one or two USB out jacks. Note - if you find a device that will put out significantly more than two amps, don't use it as it will pop the fuse to the 12V socket.
No, that won't HAPPEN!! HA HA HA!!! I just replaced my blown 1.5 amp fuse, and I put in a 100 AMP FUSE!!

IT'LL NEVER BLOW, THE BIKE WILL MELT FIRST!!!!

100_amp_fuse.png

FTL900 posted: I just replaced my blown 1.5 amp fuse, and I put in a 100 AMP FUSE!! IT'LL NEVER BLOW, THE BIKE WILL MELT FIRST!!!!
Ha, ha, ha, ha , ha!
omg2.gif

No shit; it might.

For some reason, the ports are marked G G I I.. don't know what that means. I won't be plugging much in there tho, the 2 ganger I currently have is probably sufficient.

Phone charger while riding, and a small GPS speedo while riding. I think that just about summarizes all my needs. Just noticed it says .5 to 2.1, so the output power is divided by the number of outlets in use.

s-l1600.jpg

For future reference, they make usb cigarette lighter plugs that sit flush when space is at a premium like our glovebox:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M6QODH2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have tried those flush jobs in the past, but I've had less than great power output results. The silver one I have now was labeled 2.1 and 1 amp on the USB ports, but really they're both charging at 2.1. Probably drops to 1 on each port if I use both ports. It's pretty much a crap shoot anyway, no matter what they say the power output is going to be, I don't believe it until I can test it.

Which brings me to another great tool.

On my Android, I downloaded and installed the GALAXY CHARGING APP. (You don't have to have a Galaxy) But you can turn on a little charging output number that tells me what rate I'm charging at. Here you can see 300 at the top center in red. (you can change the color, and you can drag it around the screen to anyplace. I just chose red and keep it in the top center.)

Screenshot_20171024-150026.png

That's very useful, because if I'm charging at 300ma while using BT and GPS, my phone will slowly go dead. On a good USB adapter and cable, I'll get 1800ma charging rate.

So I can keep tabs on how well my phone is charging, and I also use this to measure other USB ports and cables- either one can slow you down, and when I find slow ones, I toss them out and replace them. In this case, it read 300 because I was just plugged into my computer USB port and using a cheap cable I brought to work.
What it actually says is Output: 5 Volts DC, 2.1 Amp