Sylvania Silverstar Headlights?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

tmtoys

Hey Mike,

Are these the bulbs your using?

What's the model number for the headlights?

I think the Silverstars are well worth the cash spent and a great farkle. The H4 is the one for the FJR. It's also listed in the fitment book.

Here's my opinion.

They are THE WORST bulbs I've ever wasted good money on. Oh yeah...they're nice and bright. Until they burn out 2 months later. And at $20 apiece, nowhere near worth the money!

I have an $18/pr cheapie HID wannabe bulbs in mine for over 2 yrs now, and they're still going strong. And I still get compliments on how bright they are.

I tried those Silverstars in the wife's SUV with the same results. I originally thought it was just the H4 application, but 9006 and 9005 are just as bad.

Of course, everyone's experience is different. This is from my personal experience handling the bulbs surgically while installing them.

They're just not worth that kind of money if they don't last long. You're better off just finding a cheap set.

Last edited by a moderator:
FJRandy - if your bulbs went out after two months you should have contacted Sylvania and they most likely would have sent you another pair. They had a bad batch that burned out quickly and it burned some customers on them but those who called got new ones.

Had them in my car for over two years and in the bike for over two months. I will look for and post the part number when I get home today.

Osram Silverstar here. Happy with it. Bought it based on some independent study done in Great Britain a while ago. If I find the article I'll post it later.

I've been using Silverstars for years.

Couple years in my Jag, a year in my Mustang GT, and a month in my FJR (the motorcycle only versions)

I run Silverstars in my cars foglights too.

So I run

(2) 9005's Jag Highbeam

(2) 9006's Jag Lowbeam

(2) H3 bulbs Jag Foglight

(2) 9007's Mustang headlamp, dual filament

(2) 800/900 series for fog (37watt)

(2) H4 dual filament for the FJR

Just under $300 for just bulbs!!

Silverstars for me too. In the Explorer for a year, the FJR for about 6 months. Make sure you get the "ST" version for the bike which is the heavy-duty, motorcycle specific version. About 24.00 a pair on ebay last time I looked.

Bounce, that's really good and accurate information on the blue lamps. The only item that's not addressed is the design voltage of the lamps. If you overdrive a filament lamp by 10% you increase the amount of lumens by 30%. However, following the first law of thermodynamics (you can't get something for nothing) the life is reduced to 1/3 of the normal life.

While I haven't looked at the various lamps, I wouldn't be suprised to find that the lamps producing "more light" have much shorter life.

Personally, I'm quite happy with the stock headlamp setup, but I don't do the ironbutt thing. If I did, I'm sure I'd go the HID route where you can get large effeciency improvements that you can take in either reduced wattage, or more light depending on your personal needs.

Jim

I'm sure I'd go the HID route where you can get large effeciency improvements that you can take in either reduced wattage, or more light depending on your personal needs.
Now if your ever thinking HID, Ive had the pleasure of witnessing some HID Hella's on a BMW GS and boy they are the shiznit for making daylight out of a dark highway. :good:

my silver stars where great (BUT) they burned out way too fast. switched to Phillips vision plus and so far life is good. they have been in for about 4k miles

Personally, I'm quite happy with the stock headlamp setup, but I don't do the ironbutt thing. If I did, I'm sure I'd go the HID route where you can get large effeciency improvements that you can take in either reduced wattage, or more light depending on your personal needs.
Good point. The problem with the otherwise excellent OEM lighting is the sharp cutoff of the beam pattern. Nice when riding straight or in well lit areas. Heal over into the left-hand curve on a dark road and you'll be flying into the unknown.

I'll second the opinions of those who said the Silverstars burn out too quickly to justify the cost. I had one in my Kawi Nomad and it didn't last through a single season. And, yes, I was using the motorcycle specific H4 version. AFAIK, they're crap but YMMV. Since I didn't keep the receipt, I gave up on trying to get Sylvania to replace it.

I'm running PIAA Xtreme White Plus Antivibration H4 bulbs (PIAA Part #70456) (which I bought before I read the article on blue bulbs posted here) in my FJR. When these burn out I'll have to revisit the issue. For the moment, they look cool and are too much of a PITA to swap out.

Cheers,

Jim