Tailbone Injury

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zenwhipper

Reaction score
About 2 1/2 months ago I 'somehow' hurt my tailbone. I was sailing and when the boat heeled to port and we went to the high side I sat on a cleat (yah I know way to go!). It didn't feel bad at the time, but by the next day - it was really quite sore. I don't think its fractured or otherwise too serious just because the pain comes and goes. After riding the FJR for a couple of hours - its sore. If I sit at work too long, again sore. But, after a night's rest... all is better. Anyway - any doctors in the house? How long does a TB injury take to heel?

Grazi

ZW

Talk to beeroux about this. He managed to break his ass a couple of years ago. Well, I don't know if he technically broke it, but he was a 'broke ass' for a while. :p If I remember right, it takes a real long time to heal. Very little blood flow to that bone, so its a long and slow healing process.

When I was in my early 20's I got what Army physicians joking referred to in those days as the "jeep disease." My tail bone was sore and my physician said it wouldn't get better until he could do some surgery. That seemed to be the concensus, so I scheduled it.

The day before the scheduled surgery my wife got T-boned in her Karman Ghia by an LTD, and I cancelled the surgery to take care of her.

I never got around to rescheduling. Instead I just took my tailbone for a long soak in a hot tub whenever I needed to.

I guess this went on for a couple of years, and it finally returned to normal without ever undergoing the knife.

As the other poster noted, circulation in that area's not great, and so healing is slow. I guess soaking in a hot tub improved circulation... or maybe it was like a cold, i.e., "if you don't take any cold medicine, the cold will last for a week and a half, but if you take your cold medicine, the cold only lasts for about 10 days."

My granddaugter had a hairline fracture of the tailbone and it took her a very long time to recover. She was a ballerina at the time and it played havouc with her dancing. They told her to avoid any activity that would aggravate it. I am sure that is not what you want to hear. There was nothing medically they could do for it. Good luck.

Ok. sorry.....but i gotta ask...you broke your butt? Does it have a crack in it? Just kidding. My twin brother injured his tail bone about seven years ago. He said it was a pretty lenghthy healing process(@ 5 months) before it stop hurting when he sat. He said that he believes it has authoritis in it because, even now, it gets sore now 'n then. Any hooo.....Hope you heal up quickly!

I injured my tailbone about 3-4 years ago when I wheelied over at a high rate of speed. I literally could not sit down for 2-3 days after and I was in some serious pain. I went to the chiropractor and he x-rayed it and said there was no fracture. Still to this day when I get off my bike or sit for very long it is extremely sore. I commuted to work for the past 2 years over 350 each driving a car and I am sure this hasn't helped the situation either. One of these days I am going to have to go to the doctor and see if there is something they can do for it. For now I just suffer through it..... Good luck. Not a fun injury...

You need to get your ass to a doctor. Some folks have a tailbone with a spur that won't heal without surgery. Suck it up and go to a doctor.

The only fix I know of,is to the mc seat,not your butt.Have you ever looked at some of these aftermarket bicycle seats?They are split down the middle so you aren't squashing tender parts(scrotum).Most custom MC seat modifiers,use an electric meat carving knife to shape the foam.I'm sure they could come up with a nice looking seat that will incorporate that design.You'll for sure have something to talk about every time someone see's it.

Yep; busting your tailbone is an unhappy injury. There are a variety of maladies which could be responsible for this type of pain, but from your explanation, it's possible you have broken it, or dislocated it. Either can mean a long wait for it to heal - sometimes years. It can be a bad deal for a cyclist, but there are treatments available, if the pain persists.

See an orthopedist.

Friend of mine hurt his tailbone a few years ago riding on the dirt. He began wearing those padded bicycling shorts under his gear. To this day he still wears cycling shorts and swears by them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, one of the most painful injurys I've ever had and one of the longest to heal. Last spring I had to replace a portion of my basement floor (long story) any way I had been using a sledge hammer that had the handle cut off to about 2ft. The hammer was standing up on the floor right behind me when I quickly nelt down and hit the end of the handle with my tail bone. It hurt so bad I damn near cried. Only in last couple of months has it been pretty much pain free. One of those donut pillow seats saved my ass. Good luck

boomerang, sorry to admit it, but I laughed my ass off reading your post. Woulda been funny as shit to see, but painful as hell to experience. :w00t: :waaa: :waaa:

3 weeks ago I wrecked pretty bad on my dirt bike, numerous injuries to my ankle, knee, and my ass.

Of all of these injuries, my tail bone seems to be the slowest to heal.

I went dirt bike riding last weekend, hurt like hell. I probably wouldn't have gone but the trip had been planned way in advance and will prbably be the last for the season.

Nice to know I'm not the only one to slowly heal in that area.

Rectum? Hell it nearly killed them.......... :huh:

Well...i got a busted tail bone for doing nothing but sitting too much. Terrible commentary on life huh? Sit in the car to work, sit in the chair all day, sit in the car on the way home...you get the drift. I have been suffering for quite some time and it really sucked after about 50 miles on the FJR seat. Since I like sitting on the FJR seat, i had to take this issue to a serious second level. BTW - I was really hurting. I finally had two nurses pry the crack of my ass open why the doctor shot the tail bone area full of cortisone. This was two weeks ago and I'm a new man. Took the bike for a near 700 mile round trip this past weekend and while I cramped up in all sorts of places, tail bone was fine. hallelujah. Odd to see this question posted so soon after I went through all this. I think the humiliation was worth it...unfortuantely one of the crack prying nurses happens to live in my town so I imagine I will see her all the time now. Maybe she won't recognize me from the normal meet and greet position.

I think the after market seat is the way to go, I just couldn't figure out how to tell Mr. Seat Maker how I wanted it done. My boys sure could have used a break by the 650th mile or so, all mushed up against the tank.

I hurt my tailbone couple years ago. Same thing took a hard hit on the south end but it didn't hurt for a few days, then i could hardly sit down. It took about a year and a half before I ride a bike or cage without any pain. I did go see a DR. he told me to suck it up, even if it was broken they couldn't do anything about it. :(

Good luck but you are in for a painful lenghty recovery

Well... the Doc put me on an NSAID, one per day prescription. Seems to be helping just a bit. I have been on it for two weeks. I'm far from cured - what is still going on is if I sit on the tail bone for long periods (> one hour) then it gets inflammed and painful. (Curiously enough, if I sit straight up, then I have no issues, its only when I slouch). This usually goes away in a few hours if I stop what I'm doing that makes it hurt. Freakin' aye - its really annoying! :angry2:

Thanks for the comments.

Scott