Tank side Protector for Gen II

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawrence

Reaction score
I'm looking for something to cover the sides primarily, so my riding suit doesn't scuff the paint the upper portion of my legs (slight scuffing already starting after 2k miles in last 2 months). I've seen Premier Accessories clear cover - which would be fine. I've also seen (but don't know where to buy) similar, though in black. I'm thinking such adhesive sticker/self-adhesive type protectors might work better for me than a leather (ette) style Tank Bra/cover

I have a Magnetic Tank bag, but I'm not really worried about protecting the top of tank from it (rarely used, and didn't scratch my Connie)

So far, I've come across

- https://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/Tec...Kit_p/13009.htm $45 or one of their Surface Shield packages ($50- 55 or up to $83 including side bafs)

- https://www.mag-knight.com/Tank%20Bra.htm Magnetic ~$100 for gloss black color-matched

- https://www.thetankslapper.biz/buy/totalpro...ion/yamaha.html $50

oh - just found https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/lofiversion/...php/t17986.html - guess that is a strong NOT recommended, though I then saw earlier comments that were positive ??

(Yes I did a google search of this site - but saw conflicting info, so I thought I'd put out my criteria {below} and see if there is a current consensus for a Gen II bike

I'm not interested in something like Bagster.

Recommendations/thoughts. Have some items that were good/okay (tankslapper?) gone bad over time?

$50 sounds like a more appropriate price, but I hate buying junk. I'd rather buy a good something once, rather than junk many times, though I'm a bit cheap by nature, so always trying to balance out these 2 inclinations. It should look good, though I value function (and being cheap) over form. I kept my Concours for 15 years. I expect to keep this FJR for a long time as well, so a permanently attached rubber pad woudl work as well.

Thanks in Advance

right up front I admit to being cheap...and liking to come up with my own solution rather than buying something manufactured when that is possible.

I had some 8x10 in sheets of thin magnet around here from a previous project. I sprayed one side with black non-skid paint I also happened to have on hand. I then cut them out to approximate the indent in that part of the tank. I also did a single small piece for the part of the tank closest to my belt buckle when I'm on the bike.

Here are some pictures. On the bike on the street you can't really tell they are there. In some light they do show up. When I need to clean the tank I peel them off and then reapply. Results: so far, so good.

P1000219-1.jpg

P1000220-1.jpg

P1000221-1.jpg

Just looked at your link to the magknight. I like the look of that but the sheets I have are not that large and are about 1/32" thick so they won't adhere and make those bends/curves. But I like the look of the magknight. On the other hand for me it would be overkill, the area magknight covers is way generous for where my knees contact the bike the way I ride.

Lee

I ran into the same problem last year on my 07 FJR. I tried the Premier Accessories clear cover and had nothing but problems.

Ended up using TechSpec Gripster tank grips (www.techspec-usa.com). The grips cover the side areas of the tank normally hit by the knee/leg. I opted for the snakeskin type which has a good grip flat black rough surface. The grips are a heavy duty rubber pad that is removeable and reuseable. I also opted for the center tank cover of the same material for a total price of about $51.00 for both the two side pads and center pad. These are well made grip pads that will last a lifetime of tough use.

Tested the grips on a 3000 mile trip throughout the southwest US wearing my Aerostich Darien pants and they worked great. No scuffing, no problems, and look OEM.

Check out the website for photos of the various grip pad options.

I'm looking for something to cover the sides primarily, so my riding suit doesn't scuff the paint the upper portion of my legs (slight scuffing already starting after 2k miles in last 2 months). I've seen Premier Accessories clear cover - which would be fine. I've also seen (but don't know where to buy) similar, though in black. I'm thinking such adhesive sticker/self-adhesive type protectors might work better for me than a leather (ette) style Tank Bra/cover
I have a Magnetic Tank bag, but I'm not really worried about protecting the top of tank from it (rarely used, and didn't scratch my Connie)

So far, I've come across

- https://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/Tec...Kit_p/13009.htm $45 or one of their Surface Shield packages ($50- 55 or up to $83 including side bafs)

- https://www.mag-knight.com/Tank%20Bra.htm Magnetic ~$100 for gloss black color-matched

- https://www.thetankslapper.biz/buy/totalpro...ion/yamaha.html $50

oh - just found https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/lofiversion/...php/t17986.html - guess that is a strong NOT recommended, though I then saw earlier comments that were positive ??

(Yes I did a google search of this site - but saw conflicting info, so I thought I'd put out my criteria {below} and see if there is a current consensus for a Gen II bike

I'm not interested in something like Bagster.

Recommendations/thoughts. Have some items that were good/okay (tankslapper?) gone bad over time?

$50 sounds like a more appropriate price, but I hate buying junk. I'd rather buy a good something once, rather than junk many times, though I'm a bit cheap by nature, so always trying to balance out these 2 inclinations. It should look good, though I value function (and being cheap) over form. I kept my Concours for 15 years. I expect to keep this FJR for a long time as well, so a permanently attached rubber pad woudl work as well.

Thanks in Advance

I too am looking into the same thing....I had the tank slapper on my SV for 8 years and it worked well....the only problem is that it did stain and after a few years it turned black...I could have simply peeled it off and started with new stuff, but the bike wasn't the prettiest so i just left it on...it did its job very well, the paint underneath did not fade and it was not harmed after 30K miles...

I am searching for something for my FJR, and I started cheaply and purchased the uncut sheets from Aerostitch. They are the static cling kind, sort of like tank slapper, but you need to trace and cut....well, that was real messy for me, as I am not even able to cut or draw a straight line :)

Now I am searching for a pre-cut kit...I have decided that I need someone to install for me, to save me time, frustration and make it look professional. I am currently looking at Venture Shield....the certified installer in my area said he could do the full body protection kit and a few custom cuts if needed for about $350 installed...he will come to my house and do it in my garage too....I have opted for this pricey option, but i feel it will be the best material and will be done right....If i do it myself, i am sure after messing up so many times and having to reorder pieces I will probably be at the $300 mark in no time :)

Here is the link to the kit finder: Venture Shield Kits

GOOD LUCK!!! and please let us know what you choose, how it installs, what the final product is like and your overall satisfaction is with it...

Robert

I agree also on the TechSpec products, have the Snakeskin version myself & like it. They will do custom cutting also, I designed my own top panel that pretty much eliminates any possibility of tankbag marring.

The Premier kit came with my FJR and was never installed. I've used the 3M paintguard material which is very good. The premier material is from Avery or some company with a name like Avery. The stuff stinks. Yes, it goes on fine and is pre-cut, but it scratches very easily so it looks like scratches in the paint. Yes it does protect the paint so I'm not pulling it off but, look for a product made with the 3M material.

Last edited by a moderator:
+ 1 on the TechSpec products. Outstanding product. I got the fusion surface. Didn't like the look of the snake skin. I got mine because I found that I would slide forward under hard braking and load up the bars, making slicing thru the corners ever more difficult. Be sure to be well above 80F when applying it, it won't stick otherwise. DAMHIK

I wasn't worried about a few scratches, my bikes not ghey :lol: