Tapp USB

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw this in Canadian Tire up here in the great white north and bought one. It is in my toolbox because it isn't the easiest thing to try and mount. The weatherproof cap will only fit if the socket sticks up about 1/2 inch so not the best to try and fit in one of the dash panels. I may end up putting it in the front pocket and using it to charge the cell but that's where the lighter socket is so am I any further ahead? I suppose I could electrify my tank bag and use it in there. :huh:

If you have a GenII you can just use a cig/usb adaptor and run the cord (thin) out of the glove box. Stays water tight even with something in it. Small profile. Mostly a question of convenience. Do you need it all the time or just some of the time.

Having USB on the bike is becoming more useful as many devices are able to charge from USB. I opted for the 12V charger for my phone with a USB port molded into the socket side of the cord. You can charge your phone and provide USB power for charging headsets or other devices.

I saw this in Canadian Tire up here in the great white north and bought one.

Did you find that same one or just something like it? Can you post a SKU?

After a quick look, all I found was this:

Looks like it would be an easy panel mount and is only $9.99, :) but no specs are given. :(

Thats why I posted this thread, new and cheaper winter farkles to install,from those in the know. :rolleyes:

I saw this in Canadian Tire up here in the great white north and bought one.

Did you find that same one or just something like it? Can you post a SKU?

After a quick look, all I found was this:

Looks like it would be an easy panel mount and is only $9.99, :) but no specs are given. :(
Nope, the one that I have looks like the original posted. The one you pictured looks like it might in fact be easier to mount.

The problem with the original posted is that there is no "nice" way to finish off the mounting. It has to stick up out of the panel in order to use the weather cap and the outlet itself (which contains the voltage converter) is kind of large so would be awkward to fit inside the dash anyways. I wish that I still had the package but I'll take a pic of the unit and post it as an FYI.

-worney

Now this is getting interesting.

Take a look at TAPP-VS™ USB Power Port Victory Motorcycle Saddle Bag Mount Kit at link Using the original outlet and mounting it to the cover of a trunk or saddle bag with a quick disconnect.... hummmm.... But, Do I really need it?

If you have a GenII you can just use a cig/usb adaptor and run the cord (thin) out of the glove box. Stays water tight even with something in it. Small profile. Mostly a question of convenience. Do you need it all the time or just some of the time.
That's what I do and it works just fine. And those low profile cigarette outlet to usb adapters can be had for $1.04 delivered on ebay (what I paid for the one I bought). Seems like it would cost more in shipping from China, let alone the cost to produce it but that's what they're selling for. :yahoo:

My install

TAPPUSBport.jpg

I bought a cheap (a few bucks) plug that goes into the lighter socket - protrudes less than an inch. It has two USP outlets on it. and hides away completely - no wires.

If you run an iPhone most 12v-USB adapters won't make the grade. The majority of them only have 500 ma output and the phone reqires 1000 ma. I run Motionx GPS as a poor man's SPOT system and need power to the phone at all times. I started with a Griffin USB cig. lighter adapter in the "glovebox" but was not happy with the cable hanging out all the time.

OK. Found one of these in Princess Auto's Surplus section today :yahoo: $6.99 item number #8405235 see it here. It may be a knock off because it doesn't say Tapp anywhere and there is no fuse holder or terminals on the ends but other wise it looks identical and in the Q and A section of the website it says that it is 12V in and 5V out. Thought that the Canadians might like to know.

allright you guys! just because I got the bike paid off is NO reason for you to start talking about inexpensive and useful gadgets one can easily add to the bike. I'm onto you! :p

(thinking of building a panel into the glove compartment now, dammit)

allright you guys! just because I got the bike paid off is NO reason for you to start talking about inexpensive and useful gadgets one can easily add to the bike. I'm onto you! :p

(thinking of building a panel into the glove compartment now, dammit)
Watch 'em like a hawk, Phugeda..... some of this lot will have ya led down the path to the darkside if you cut them any slack.... ;)