Tech Weekend VIII pre planning

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With four weeks to go til tech day Owosso, I need to get organized and get a checklist together.

My time is sandwiched between leaving work (usually around 6:30pm-7:00pm) on Friday and being home Sunday morning for Mother's Day. The most sensible thing for me is to leave Cleveland early Saturday morning to arrive in Owosso about 9:00am. Then leave no later than 5:00pm and head back home.

The original plan was to have steel braided brake-lines installed, flush/refill the forks, and synch the throttle. But any setback, particularly with doing the brakes could throw my schedule off.

So an alternate plan is doing my electrical farkles instead. I need to wire up my lights with dimmer, heated seat, heated grips, and tail lights into an AP-1 fuse-block.

I'm fairly certain that should be doable. I'm planning on getting some 12g wire. What else should I bring? Soldering iron?

Also I'm thinking of getting the leads with a relay from Eastern Beaver or Centech to make wiring easier and allow for switched power.

Thanks, Steve

Awesome - we get to let the smoke out of something!!!

what else is on the agenda? I'd like to flush and fill the brake fluid on my bike - I have a mityvac to bring, but this can take a back seat to getting pista's bike buttoned up for the trip home.

With four weeks to go til tech day Owosso, I need to get organized and get a checklist together.
My time is sandwiched between leaving work (usually around 6:30pm-7:00pm) on Friday and being home Sunday morning for Mother's Day. The most sensible thing for me is to leave Cleveland early Saturday morning to arrive in Owosso about 9:00am. Then leave no later than 5:00pm and head back home.

The original plan was to have steel braided brake-lines installed, flush/refill the forks, and synch the throttle. But any setback, particularly with doing the brakes could throw my schedule off.

So an alternate plan is doing my electrical farkles instead. I need to wire up my lights with dimmer, heated seat, heated grips, and tail lights into an AP-1 fuse-block.

I'm fairly certain that should be doable. I'm planning on getting some 12g wire. What else should I bring? Soldering iron?

Also I'm thinking of getting the leads with a relay from Eastern Beaver or Centech to make wiring easier and allow for switched power.

Thanks, Steve

It may be a challenge for Steve's bike...... need one crew on the forks (bushings and seals too?), another on electrical, and best know which brake line goes where ahead of time (hopefully not ABS). Do the brake lines while the forks are off........

I am bringing the Wee to add mostly plug and play farkles, plus fork springs and emulators (no bushings or seals). Ez stuff to start on Friday.

I need to add a power wire from my fuse block to my air horn relay and see someone do a TBS and check the valves. Anything else I watch or help with is just gravy...

If it's just a flush an fill the forks will be a breeze.. Can't tell by his info it's it's an ABS bike, that could add time.

However it could all get done if shit don't fall into the fan..
tonguesmiley.gif

It may be a challenge for Steve's bike...... need one crew on the forks (bushings and seals too?), another on electrical, and best know which brake line goes where ahead of time (hopefully not ABS). Do the brake lines while the forks are off........I am bringing the Wee to add mostly plug and play farkles, plus fork springs and emulators (no bushings or seals). Ez stuff to start on Friday.
So this bike is fairly new to me as I bought it last fall and plan on keeping her around for a long time.

I've never been a part of a "tech day" and I'm very grateful to be getting help with my bike

But I also don't want to hog up resources that would hinder other guys from getting their bikes worked on.

So if time allows this is an idea of what I'd like help with:

1. Forks need the 9 year old OEM fluid flushed and refilled. Then new springs dropped in.

(Bike has only 6K miles with no signs of leakage on it so I will hold off on seals and bushings til next year.)

2. Check the steering head nut for correct torque.

3. Throttles synched.

4. Electrical stuff installed and wired up.

Finally, is there any advantage to installing my WynPro block off plates or should that wait til the first valve check? With the low mileage, no need for a valve check yet.

Any need to worry about the splines needing greased?

BTW, I will hold off on the steel braided brake-lines for now. The bike is an '05 w/ABS and running all those lines appears to be quite a challenge.

It all looks doable Steve. I'd hold off on the WynPro's till the valve adjustment. Only because it does take a little time to clear things out.

The lines? I'll let the big wigs decide.

If I can make it, I'll be happy to help with wiring and soldering. That's right in my wheelhouse. Really don't need any work done to my bike, but I'd like the chance to help somebody out since so many have helped me.

But its a big if. All depends if I can work something out for someone to watch the offspring. I'll probably be a "the day of" decision.

I'd like to also do a fork flush, radiator flush, replace lights simple stuff...

As for the fork oil will I need to get my own or is there enough for a couple bikes and all I need to do is throw some money in the pot? And as for the coolant should I plan to bring that up too or is there an auto zone or something nearby?

Last edited by a moderator:
I will bring Carbtune, spare electrical supplies (anybody got spare smoke containers?), steering head tools, air impact, etc.

I vote we not do the stainless lines as that is a job that should be done all by itself with lots of time.

Crumpadump, I'd say coolant flush at a valve check......... but if it's an '08 and never done, should do..... I have spare coolant (an overabundance).

Forks will need cartridges removed to flush..... can do without changing bushings/seals...... bring fork oil!!

WynPro plates are better done with valve cover off and on the bench........

I think Yamafitter may have an item or two for the list, but we'll get started that stuff on Friday.

Good call Ray, I got to thinking and it could be a very busy day. Hell we might not have time to wreck anything of Andys, just fix it!

And Tom never brings his bike... I suspect he doesn't like getting snowed on nor wet.
haha.gif

There's half a gallon of Rotella, and Coolant out here, maybe a pint of fork oil.
Damn, we must have drank that stuff last time!

Man oh man! There are going to be some happy kampers at this weekends gathering..

Look at all the swag!

swag004_zps6e04d253.jpg

swag005_zpsfe5e16c7.jpg

I'm not going to open any of these as I want to be surprised too!

Thanks go out to Bill, Ray, Tom, and Bungie. You guys are da kings!

Sent.. Don't want to put it out here amongst the rif raf ya know.. I mean you just never know with some of deez guys.
tonguesmiley.gif

After talking to guys at SEOR, I need to check splines and with all the charter on here about front ends I also want to check the steering head nut. (I already found 4 loose screws on the locks on the side cases) These are instead of adding the power wire, which I can do on my own later.

Sounds like I may need to start Friday and finish Saturday, if that's an option?