That Center Stand Video

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sidestand down, bike in 1st, rock it forward off the centerstand. No sweat.
Unless it happens to fall away from you....
I'm holding the grab rail with my right hand, left hand holding bars straight, and it doesn't go anywhere. I've never even been close to having it fall away from me.

Last edited by a moderator:
So here is the Video. It is not much cause I have gotten better at it. I have found that handle under the bike and that is probably easier to use. And I don't know how to make the little clicky thing so I will post a link.

Hey, I'm still impressed!

But ya did make it look easy! :thumbsup:

I'll admit when I first got the feejer, i had a helluva time getting it on the centerstand, but now it is cake. Pretty much on the centerstand whenever I leave the bike now.

Though thanks for sharing your technique, even though it seems to be much harder than to do it the "proper" way.

Chris

Rob, I am impressed. I wish I could do it that way. I'm thinking gas stations.

When i tried your method, as soon as I put my weight on the stand lever, the bike started leaning the other way. Fast! Whew!

There's more to this than meets the eye.

I can pretty much just use my leg muscle and weight but had to apply front brake to hold me there while I adjusted. The side method works better though now that I know where that handle is. Way better than lifting the bike with the luggage rack. Damn bike is heavy you know. As for getting off the stand sitting on it a d rocking it forward seems best on the AE. Can't really put it in first gear lime someone was saying. Only problem is I am a bit Leary after I nutted myself doing it this way.

I'm holding the grab rail with my right hand, left hand holding bars straight, and it doesn't go anywhere. I've never even been close to having it fall away from me.
B, b, but...why take it off the centerstand unless you're going to ride it, and why take the extra step to take it down before climbing on?

B, b, but...why take it off the centerstand unless you're going to ride it, and why take the extra step to take it down before climbing on?
Somehow just not comfortable rolling it off the centerstand while seated, since my feet don't reach the ground till it's down. Move it to the sidestand, mount, start, ride.

Somehow just not comfortable rolling it off the centerstand while seated, since my feet don't reach the ground till it's down. Move it to the sidestand, mount, start, ride.
Ahhh, that makes perfect sense....I wouldn't do it from the seat either.

I know it's common sense.... but....Always make sure the bike is on level ground before deploying the center stand!

And yes.....I did not use common sense! (once) :angry:

Always used to do this on my V65 Magna.

Never had the nuts to try it on the FJR til I saw this video.

Piece of cake after a few tries. Just remember to put the side stand down. Ouch, that left a mark. :stunned:

I have seen comments like "put a GL1800 on a centerstand and you'll find out how easy the FJR is", but the GL1800 has a reverse gear that makes centerstanding easy.
wtf are you rambling about? the reverse gear isn't used to get a stock wing on the center stand. the moment you begin you're lifting the rear wheel off the ground and any traction you might have had is lost. it's not a fwd vehicle.

it's leverage not strength that does the job. use your leg to drive the center stand into the ground. don't try to lift the back of the bike into the air.

As for getting it off the center stand: on the bike, feet on the pegs/hands on the bars, rock the bike forward and after it comes off the center stand, dab the brakes to keep it from rolling into anything, left foot down. Robert's your Dad's Mother's other Son.

YES!!! Man, that was annoying.
FF to 3:19 and then throw your computer out the window.
Dude, pot, kettle. Good thing no one recorded your NAFO speech, that went on for-ever.

;)

I normally mount the bike and rock it off the centerstand and ride away. I will add that moving it from the center stand to the side stand in the garage, you might want to watch out for your toe getting crushed if you have the side stand down when taking it off the center stand. There have been a few reports of that happening. I only came close once, but it will wake you up! :)

I know it's common sense.... but....Always make sure the bike is on level ground before deploying the center stand!
If the ground is slightly uphill, the FJR will pop up on the center stand very easily. :rolleyes:
If the ground is down hill in front of the bike it is very hard but comes off the stand very easy. I guess it is a matter of preference as to if you want it easier to get on the stand or off

I have seen comments like "put a GL1800 on a centerstand and you'll find out how easy the FJR is", but the GL1800 has a reverse gear that makes centerstanding easy.
wtf are you rambling about? the reverse gear isn't used to get a stock wing on the center stand. the moment you begin you're lifting the rear wheel off the ground and any traction you might have had is lost. it's not a fwd vehicle.

Robert's your Dad's Mother's other Son.
I saw that but wasn't going to take the time to point it out. Now a 2 wheel drive FJeer would be great. think of the traction in the corners. Also not sure about that dads mom's son thing but I am my sisters 2nd cousin.

I try to do it the "traditional" way, and it is difficult. I have seen comments like "put a GL1800 on a centerstand and you'll find out how easy the FJR is", but the GL1800 has a reverse gear that makes centerstanding easy.
The reverse gear in a wing don't help unless you have a power park center stand.

I try to do it the "traditional" way, and it is difficult. I have seen comments like "put a GL1800 on a centerstand and you'll find out how easy the FJR is", but the GL1800 has a reverse gear that makes centerstanding easy.
The reverse gear in a wing don't help unless you have a power park center stand.
Damn, beat me to it.

Hey, how about a power centerstand on the '09 FJR? :D