The '06 Question No One's Asked

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A newbie to this site, but not to cycles. I have 3 BMW's and have been fascinated by the FJR1300AE to the point that I have one on order (May '06 Ughhhh).

While slow-speed manauvering not something to dwell over, no clutch (control) makes me wonder how you 'feather' clutch let's say in a U-turn. For example, I will use myself rather than the stating that is the correct way. Other than my K12S the other 2 have dry clutches. Don't want to abuse those dry clutches so slow-speed maneuvering is accomplished at idle speed (about 7-8 mph GPS noted) and 'gingerly applying rear brake. This can sometimes put you on the edge of stalling which of course is not very good with a 850 lb KLT . . . so, worse case you feather the clutch.

Am I to presume that to keep control of bike you always want some power to the rear wheel, that the throttle will be sensitive enough and matched to the clutch that very slow speeds will be attainable.

Anybody's answer to your question, my own included, can only be interpreted as being opinion, not fact...unless someone who works for Yamaha and has actually driven a 1300AE speaks up.

I assume this is where the clutch "lever" now resides (or might it be a component of the unified braking system?). Looks like it might meet up with the clutch hydraulic line from the pic of the other side.

doohickey.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"FJR1300AS’s (euro model) amazing journey-enhancing technology - YCC-S, or Yamaha Chip Controlled Shift."

"YCC-S is an electronically controlled clutch-less shifting device that reduces hassle and fatigue, so you can get on with on really enjoying the ride. YCC-S uses a dedicated ECU to deliver quick, perfect shifts every time. It’s up to you whether you shift with handlebar-mounted switch or conventional foot lever. The FJR1300AS also features heated handlebars for all-year-round touring comfort."

Hey guys ...like I said earlier...

...The ABS system sends wheel speed signals to one

or more of the on board computers, and the TPS or Throttle Position Sensor

returns a variable voltage signal to the Engine Control Unit to let it know what you

want to do.The AE Shift Control Processor (YCC-S) will use both of these signal

inputs as well as engine speed and simply run a "duty cycle" control voltage to the

clutch engagement actuator solenoid. That will control the amount of hydraulic

actuation needed to take place in any given situation.

In plain terms ...it will work as smooth as silk and all your worries will be

completely unfounded as the first model test feedback filters through to us.

This technology really is a simple concept and will work.

Anyone remember the old stick shift automatic VW? It used a standard clutch disc

assembly without the clutch pedal. Very different system but similar idea.

RB

My wife's Mercedes and my Airstream Motorhome/Mercedes/Dodge Sprinter have upshifting/downshifting at will by moving shift lever left or right; works like a charm. I think in the Porsche it's called 'Tiptronic', Formuala One has it too. Am I to presume it's the same on the FJR1300AE???

Tiptronic transmissions have intelligence built in (automatic upshifts and downshifts at times). This doesn't. It's all operator controlled.

"YCC-S is an electronically controlled clutch-less shifting device that reduces hassle and fatigue, so you can get on with on really enjoying the ride.
Thank God. I was really getting tired and bored with all that tiresome rider control stuff. Now if they could just install a camera and remote control inputs I could do it all from my Barca-Lounger.

I figure i'll get bashed for this, that's why i mostly read and keep my comments to myself. But...... I'll give Yamaha the benefit of the doubt and assume this tranny works flawlessly and becomes thee trend setter in the M/C world. I don't like having the extra 60 pounds that this bike will carry, I don't like that it doesn't have a 6th gear that allows me to cruise at 85-90 down the hwy at lower rpms ---> no vibration. Make it faster and lighter. Put a good rear shock and quality fork damping in from the FACTORY! As an aside ..is this a case of adding the technology because we have it or because people are clamoring for it?

I was recently in N.C. and swapped back and forth with a friend on his ZX12. please.. don't even talk to me about the performance of our bike,,re handling (stock forks and shock)...pwr... compared to what ? an ST1300, that's saying a lot. Look the way BMW is going.. faster is better/always. so now your Yamaha is going to have it's ass kicked by a BMW?

Enough bashing, I like my FJR very much and I ride it alot. Commuting to work, riding long distances and sport riding in the mtns..gps and all the goodies but it could be better and making it heavier with no significant performance enhancements is a turn off to me.

I'll be curious what Honda has coming down the road . I read somewhere about a 1000cc VFR trying to put Honda back on top of the "Best of" where the original VFR was for years. :clap:

Stock,

The FJR has an overdrive 5th gear already!!! The ’06 has an overdrive 5th gear also! The ratio was changed from .954 on the ’01 –‘05s to .929 on the ’06. That will drop your RPMs in top gear by a little over a 100 RPM cruising at 70.

Yamaha could give you an 18 speed transmission! Unless they make a significant change in the gear ratio at the back of the bike it doesn’t matter how many speeds the tranny has! They could drop 5th gear all the way to the low .8’s but you will have no oomph at those rpms.

A 6 speed just gives your more gears closely spaced. Perhaps you would like 7 or 8 speeds? Better get the AE if you like shifting that much!

If you want to really drop your cruising RPMs call Gary McCoy at University Motors and have him order up a Yamaha Venture Royale (‘86–‘93) rear end for you (about $400). Swap it into your FJR rear end. It will take your rear ratio from 3.66/1 down to 3.33/1. You will gain 400rpm at 70mph. First gear will now feel almost like 2nd when you are taking off but 70 is just a bit over 3500. You will need to downshift if you want to do any spirited passing.

:super1:

See that's just what i meant, about mostly reading. A smartass reply like yours. What the f. are you spouting off about? You know what i meant . When i'm racking up 8-900 mile days at higher speed the vibration on my 04 sucks/// could be better. Your wiseass answer is friggin disgraceful. by the way get f..ked!

A smartass reply like yours. What the f. are you spouting off about?...Your wiseass answer is friggin disgraceful. by the way get f..ked!
:jerry: :help: :trinibob: :hyper:

That said, just tacking on a 6th gear won't get the job done. The rear gear needs a lower ratio (more numerically aggressive) and the wide ratio 5 speed would get changed to a close ratio 6 speed. Typically the first 3 gears will be power gears, 4th will be a very mild overdrive that will still pull hard with 5th being a moderate overdrive and 6th a heavy overdrive that may not pull redline.

Alan

See that's just what i meant, about mostly reading. A smartass reply like yours. What the f. are you spouting off about? You know what i meant . When i'm racking up 8-900 mile days at higher speed the vibration on my 04 sucks/// could be better. Your wiseass answer is friggin disgraceful. by the way get f..ked!
Dang. You need a thicker skin my friend. Your reply was uncalled for, and a bit over the top. Not everybody is going to agree with you and you need to be able to accept that. MN05FJR's response wasn't all that bad.

Relax.....

Breathe......

Think nice thoughts.....

My comments from the Brit board:

What all you guys are saying is correct about the weight gain along with the 'value added' goodies (or baddies depending on your point of view), however I've never known a manufacturer of this level of machine lighten them up or de-content the machine. Auto manufacturers are always bumping a model up into the next class or adding weight by increasing size or adding content or those 'value added' features nobody asks for... I mean look at the ST, RT, VFR, Wing, FJ, etc, etc, etc. Unless it's a pure sports machine I really don't think the manufacturers will concentrate on weight. Hell neither do we, for that matter! All the kwap I've added to the bike to improve tour-ability have probably added 20 or so pounds. And remember Yamaha did "listen to the owners" when designing the 'new' FJR - though I don't remember anyone asking for E-Shift, but I am guilty of favoring linked brakes...
This is all part of the evolution of the breed... They are simply trying to follow the group of potential owners and as this is a growing segment of the market here in the States they'll want the bike to appeal to the most potential buyers. Granted, they might lose some of us old school owners, but they'll prolly gain that many more, too.

Then again, that new Connie looks interesting...

Oh, I wasn't offended, merely annoyed. ;)   Thank goodness for smiley faces, otherwise I might take that last comment the wrong way. <_<   And, I really wish you would consider a stint at the blackboard - I have all these spitballs ready to go...  :fuck:
EXACTLY!!! 'Nuff said. :clap:

Oh, I wasn't offended, merely annoyed. ;)    Thank goodness for smiley faces, otherwise I might take that last comment the wrong way. <_<    And, I really wish you would consider a stint at the blackboard - I have all these spitballs ready to go...  :fuck:
EXACTLY!!! 'Nuff said. :clap:
Sorry, but all this going back and forth about what people don't know and what people do know seems time wasting to me. I thought this sight was so all could observe and learn? My goodness, I guess I would be considered one of the idiots since I am just learning all the mumbo-jumbo slang for the bike world out there? :beee:

However, after seeing the new FJR, I began having a fast paced heart rate and could hardly wait to show my husband. Now he is afraid I will want one before the 05 I just bought is paid off.

My comments from the Brit board:

What all you guys are saying is correct about the weight gain along with the 'value added' goodies (or baddies depending on your point of view), however I've never known a manufacturer of this level of machine lighten them up or de-content the machine. Auto manufacturers are always bumping a model up into the next class or adding weight by increasing size or adding content or those 'value added' features nobody asks for... I mean look at the ST, RT, VFR, Wing, FJ, etc, etc, etc. Unless it's a pure sports machine I really don't think the manufacturers will concentrate on weight. Hell neither do we, for that matter! All the kwap I've added to the bike to improve tour-ability have probably added 20 or so pounds. And remember Yamaha did "listen to the owners" when designing the 'new' FJR - though I don't remember anyone asking for E-Shift, but I am guilty of favoring linked brakes...
This is all part of the evolution of the breed... They are simply trying to follow the group of potential owners and as this is a growing segment of the market here in the States they'll want the bike to appeal to the most potential buyers. Granted, they might lose some of us old school owners, but they'll prolly gain that many more, too.

Then again, that new Connie looks interesting...
God it pains me to say this, but.........

Well said TWN!!!

Stock,
The FJR has an overdrive 5th gear already!!! The ’06 has an overdrive 5th gear also! The ratio was changed from .954 on the ’01 –‘05s to .929 on the ’06. That will drop your RPMs in top gear by a little over a 100 RPM cruising at 70.

Yamaha could give you an 18 speed transmission! Unless they make a significant change in the gear ratio at the back of the bike it doesn’t matter how many speeds the tranny has! They could drop 5th gear all the way to the low .8’s but you will have no oomph at those rpms.

A 6 speed just gives your more gears closely spaced. Perhaps you would like 7 or 8 speeds? Better get the AE if you like shifting that much!

If you want to really drop your cruising RPMs call Gary McCoy at University Motors and have him order up a Yamaha Venture Royale (‘86–‘93) rear end for you (about $400). Swap it into your FJR rear end. It will take your rear ratio from 3.66/1 down to 3.33/1. You will gain 400rpm at 70mph. First gear will now feel almost like 2nd when you are taking off but 70 is just a bit over 3500. You will need to downshift if you want to do any spirited passing.

:super1:
+1

I have tried to stay out of this 6 speed thing but...............

What I was allways told was you need more gears if you have a small power band (My FJR doesn't). They put more gears if you need to row the gearbox to keep it in the powerband. The only other reason to put in a 6 (or 7 or 8 or 500) speed gear box is marketing!

The way to change the RPM at crusing speed is with the final drive ratio.

Let the bashing begin! :bleh: :D

Jeez Stock. I wasn't trying to be a smartass! If I was I would have started off with something like, "You st.pid f..k!" which based on your reply to my comment seems to be entirely plausible.

Hopefully we can have some nice banter around the board in the future. Till then, :fuck:

My apologies for misunderstanding your comment:

"Perhaps you would like 7 or 8 speeds? "

Sometimes sarcasm in person with the attached smile that goes with it is easier to interpret. Thank you for the explanation about the gear ratio. I still stand by my comments regarding the other issues. Suspension, weight, hp.

regards

Steve