The 2014 FJR1300 - Woo-hoo!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What bumper and what bags? There was nothing attached to the side cases. They lock on and come off just like they did in my '08.

I have photos of the screws holding the little bumpers on. How do you post photos?

I have photos of the screws holding the little bumpers on. How do you post photos?
Do you mean the rectangular rubber caps on the ends of the metal pieces that the side cases slide onto when you install the cases?

No. The long bumpers on the outside of the side cases. Most years these were black rubber. 2014 is silver looking.

The other day we (ZOOOM AGAIN & I) looked inside the bag and there were what looked like (3) rivets holding them on. Those rivets turned out to be hex screws.

No. The long bumpers on the outside of the side cases. Most years these were black rubber. 2014 is silver looking.

The other day we (ZOOOM AGAIN & I) looked inside the bag and there were what looked like (3) rivets holding them on. Those rivets turned out to be hex screws.

Over on st-owners they are discussing whether they could set up a "Group Buy" from Yamaha. That's funny right there I don't care who you are.
smile.png

When the ST1100 and ST1300 guys are this excited over a Yamaha that says a lot about the FJR and about how disgusted they are with Honda.
And that is exactly how the FZ1 guys feel about Yamaha.

I can understand some people not liking the stock seat, or wanting an improvement. BUT when I hear, "That's the most torturous device ever put on a bike" it makes my bullshit meter go crazy. The person is either a whining liar, or has never ridden very many bikes.
Let em try a stock VFR seat. Apparently Honda thinks wood is an appropriate seat padding.
biggrin.png

Was out to two Yammy dealers today and one had a root beer FJR on the floor, just got it uncrated, the other had a black 'E' on the floor and a root beer in the crate already sold (guy traded his '12 in)...... it was not the 'E', apparently the black one is... I coulda swore when I first looked this up, the rooty beer was to be the E.......

Officially the website says colour is Metallic Brown, but the word musta spread fast... both dealer guys called it root beer, as apparently are the Yammy head office guys......... and it does indeed look like root beer, and it indeed looks real nice. It should have been the 'E', don't know what they were thinking on the black......... looks very plain.

Last edited by a moderator:
No. The long bumpers on the outside of the side cases. Most years these were black rubber. 2014 is silver looking.The other day we (ZOOOM AGAIN & I) looked inside the bag and there were what looked like (3) rivets holding them on. Those rivets turned out to be hex screws.
Oh! Yes, they are hex keyed screws and the trim piece they hold on to the side case is chromed with "Yamaha" on it.

Don't get all "I'll show YOU!" on us....it's been rubber for 9 years. You bought a mutant motorcycle.

Whatever it is, it sure doesn't look screwed on. Pretty sure it's just a "chrome-ized" piece of plastic or rubber glued on just like all previous years.

bag2_zpsc14f4b44.jpg

Edit: Perhaps it IS screwed on from the inside. That's like....a MAJOR improvement ! (?)

Enough to make me itchy to buy one!

Don't get all "I'll show YOU!" on us....it's been rubber for 9 years. You bought a mutant motorcycle.
Whatever it is, it sure doesn't look screwed on. Pretty sure it's just a "chrome-ized" piece of plastic or rubber glued on just like all previous years.

bag2_zpsc14f4b44.jpg
LOL. Nope, it is screwed on! There are three hex-keyed screws holding on each Yamaha Emblem.

Re 'Group buy' over on ST-owners.com:

Speaking as one who is coming off an ST1300, the choice is pretty simple- I could replace my 03 ST1300 with an identical bike with no miles on it, but if I want something NEW I heve to look at a different brand/model.

My 03 ST with 120k miles would be good for at least another 100k, so there is no reason to buy a new one, even if I was not looking for anything different.

You just have to be ready to switch brands/models when your needs change.

bag2_zpsc14f4b44.jpg

Edit: Perhaps it IS screwed on from the inside. That's like....a MAJOR improvement ! (?)

Enough to make me itchy to buy one!
Thinking it may have looked better with the black rubber piece as previous models, and the reflector needs to go.

Who's good at Photoshop to change the "bumper" to black and change the silver side covers to red?

Radio Howie

Even with me posting a link to the photo I took and telling you that's it's a hex screw, you still doubt me? What's up with that?

Radio HowieEven with me posting a link to the photo I took and telling you that's it's a hex screw, you still doubt me? What's up with that?
He's probably just red with envy.

LOL "Red with envy"

That's probably true.

The whole reason we were investigating this was because I don't like the chrome I like the black.

I'm with you, Iris. I think the black looks better too.

I bet you could just order a pair of them from an earlier year and glue them on there to cover the holes. Before you order them just measure the black ones on your '05 and make sure they are the same size and shape. They sure look like they are.

If you do replace them you can always set the original ones aside in case you decide to sell the bike later. Then again, if you kids keep your new red ones as long as you've had the blues, resale value is of minimal importance! ;)