The 2014 FJR1300 - Woo-hoo!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find it interesting that Mama Yama was able to raise the stakes in what I call the "affordable Sport-Tourer" segment without changing the platform. Which to me validates the fundamental "goodness" of the FJR design. Frankly, we should give Mama Yama kudos for getting it mostly right the first time, and for being smart enough to upgrade to better technology without breaking the bank on a brand new design.

From a business perspective, it looks brilliant too. Motorcycle preferences wax and wane. The last few years, it's been big Dual Sport bikes, but you are already seeing those bikes sitting in the showroom floor longer than they did two years ago. A butter knife isn't always the best solution for cutting steak, and a Dual Sport, while very capable, just doesn't provide the same satisfaction as a great Sport-Tourer on curvy roads. Maybe it's time for the Sport-Tourer to rule for a while.

And that ...COLOR...!

I'm more of a function over form person, liking a color is nice but not a fundamental requirement. I like black a lot -- on someone else's bike so I can admire a pretty, shiny clean machine. I'm kinda sitting back and waiting to see if the new electronic suspension really delivers. There were few things I liked during the time I spent touring on a BMW K1300GT but I did like the electronic suspension a lot (and the HIDs were awesome). If the new electronic suspension can provide performance like an aftermarket system it is likely there will be a Gen III coming to my driveway soon. Time to start pricing out a farkle list...
Can you elaborate a bit on your k1600 experience? I test drove a K1600GT last weekend and liked it a lot. My plan was to trade in my '08 FJR for the BMW in the spring. Now with the update to the 2014 ES model, (and the RED), my decision gets tougher. My FJR has been 100% reliable - not sure I can count on the same reliability of the BMW if what I read on their forums is true.

... few things I liked during the time I spent touring on a BMW K1300GT but I did like the electronic suspension a lot (and the HIDs were awesome)...
Can you elaborate a bit on your k1600 experience? I test drove a K1600GT last weekend and liked it a lot. My plan was to trade in my '08 FJR for the BMW in the spring...
K1600GT = Apples; K1300GT = Oranges Even though it doesn't relate to the K1600GT -- * seat space was less than the FJR * 6 speed gear spread only ensured that there was lots of shifting to get performance, didn't like the gear spread/spacing * performance was no better (or even slower) than the FJR (!) * riding position was not best for traveling and not best for sport riding(1) * hated the clutch feel(2) * seat to peg spacing was cramped for the passenger * bigger looking bags on the outside was compromised by indents to clear the exhausts * overall driving experience was icky * lacked soul -- + HIDs were great + on the fly adjustable suspension +/- the thin seats turned out to be better than the FJR's stock seat, but was still a long way from being a Russell +/- windshield protection, better than the FJR for wind, worse for weather protection

(1) >90% of my traveling was on hair pin, sweeper, switch-back roads. (Now, how fun was that? Grins3) Travel time was vastly increased because the corners held down my speed. Some roads had signs warning about the number of deaths. Switching the suspension into the Sport mode was a requirement, the Standard suspension mode made the motorcycle's handling inadequate to ride on these roads.

(2) The clutch went from fully disengaged to fully engaged with a lever travel distance of 1/8" from the handle bar. It might have been unique to this bike. From the time my grip started to relax on the clutch lever it started to engage the clutch and in almost no lever travel at all the clutch was fully engaged. I have never stalled a motorcycle or been unable to gracefully pull away like with this bike. Even after a week it was a struggle to manage the clutch. The shop says that there was nothing wrong or unusual about the clutch action. I can guarantee the K1600 isn't like this or all the 1600 owners would be bitching about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting how the experience can be different from appearance. I rode with some Canadians in AB, about 6 FJR's in our group and a K1300GT. I followed the K bike for quite a while and kept thinking that if the bags weren't different and exhaust, I'd swear I was following an FJR. Breaking, corner speed, exit speed--all seemed a dead match. I thought "wow" one bike's just a copy of the other....

I'm more of a function over form person, liking a color is nice but not a fundamental requirement. I like black a lot -- on someone else's bike so I can admire a pretty, shiny clean machine. I'm kinda sitting back and waiting to see if the new electronic suspension really delivers. There were few things I liked during the time I spent touring on a BMW K1300GT but I did like the electronic suspension a lot (and the HIDs were awesome). If the new electronic suspension can provide performance like an aftermarket system it is likely there will be a Gen III coming to my driveway soon. Time to start pricing out a farkle list...
Can you elaborate a bit on your k1600 experience? I test drove a K1600GT last weekend and liked it a lot. My plan was to trade in my '08 FJR for the BMW in the spring. Now with the update to the 2014 ES model, (and the RED), my decision gets tougher. My FJR has been 100% reliable - not sure I can count on the same reliability of the BMW if what I read on their forums is true.
I have 2 friends w the K1600-GT and both have experienced zero problems. On the 1600 website there is a bunch of problems as u mentioned (water pumps, switches, driveline lag. Late '13s seem to be better, BMW does make changes/fixes (revisions) on the fly.

I was like you, but I took a 2 hour test drive. Took it through the ringers, rode it hard and soft. Fell in love with it upon return. After getting back on my FJR right after my 2 hour Beemer adventure I had lost my big smile that was once had on my face. Went back the next weekend to order one, handed over my $500 (non-refundable) deposit. The bike came in about 10 weeks after in Gray. Upon picking it up, both my g/f and son said that color was "butt ugly". Crap! I was hot and heavy to bring it home but once they called it "battleship gray" I resubmitted my order to the Montego Blue. I also heard thru the grapevine that the Angel Eyes were going to have an upgrade to intensity so they could be used as DRL's (The moving HID gets turned off automatically etc.). Where there's good, there's bad... and this bike has very poor visibility (to oncoming traffic) with the main projector headlight on. DRL's to me are now a must on this bike and so far it has been "the deal breaker".

So I sit, still awaiting the D.O.T. approved DRL system on the K1600's. Dealer says could be first production '14's or even 2nd and nothing is guaranteed. So I'm on hold basically... unless I bail of course!

Since the announcement of the FJR ES, I have been having second thoughts on my ordered K1600 ride. Yes, I will lose my $500 depo, not too big a deal as the difference in costs is still way less going with the new FJR. My big Yami benifit (to me) will be the less maintenance factor. Will I have just as big of smile with the new FJR? I would hope so but that feeling of the K1600 after about an hour of getting used to it... was really, really good awesome. The balance of that big bike made it feel lighter and more nimble than my Feej. Will the '14 close this gap? No, but the lighter load on my wallet might help offset it :) I'm keeping my '09 AE no matter what. I probably won't get sex from my g/f in about a month... but it will be worth it!

Good luck with your decision. It's not an easy one for those of us who got hooked by the big Bavarian magnet.

Honda-Yamaha of Memphis sold their first 2014 FJR today, to be delivered later this month, also making the first-ever FJR purchase for me.

Mike in sales, Emily in accounting and John in the warranty department talked to me as if I was the only customer of the day today, when in fact I knew the reality was they were all extremely busy folks. I sincerely look forward to meeting them in person later this month in western Tennessee.

Dan

Honda-Yamaha of Memphis sold their first 2014 FJR today, to be delivered later this month, also making the first-ever FJR purchase for me.Dan
Congrats Dan, you won't be disappointed! We'll of course, expect a full report and pics...!!

--G

Honda-Yamaha of Memphis sold their first 2014 FJR today, to be delivered later this month, also making the first-ever FJR purchase for me.
Mike in sales, Emily in accounting and John in the warranty department talked to me as if I was the only customer of the day today, when in fact I knew the reality was they were all extremely busy folks. I sincerely look forward to meeting them in person later this month in western Tennessee.

Dan
Congratulations on your upcoming delivery.

You're gonna love it - and probably wish you lived a bit farther south in a few months.

Glad the USA non ES and ES versions are red and do not look this bad!!!
2014_FJR1300A_VDOM1_CA_1.png

mmmmmmm. chocolate coated fjr.

Mmm.jpg

When they asked me what would keep me from buying one I told them " It's black!" Don't take this the wrong way, I like black bikes and cars. I'm just too fussy about trying to keep it clean and I know that I can't own a black vehicle for that reason.

I feel the same way about Black, but a motorcycle is so small compared to a car it's not an issue about keeping it clean.

Dan
The 2014s are going to be arriving in middle America this Fall? Wow! I would have expected early next Spring. Maybe I better do some calling around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, evidently they are around now. I don't know how many - this one dealer in particular only had one of the 2014's coming into TN as of yesterday, Sept. 10.

Dan

Dan
Mind sharing what their OTD price was?

Right on, Dan. Congrats on the new ride. I bought my 2013 from them. Nice, simple and no nonsense. Good folks. Enjoy the new FJR and, yes, we want details as soon as they're available. :)

Thanks guys - definitely will post photos here immediately. The bike's not even been shipped from Yamaha yet, as I was told yesterday, Sept. 11.

OTD price was $14,788.43. This includes the 48-month YES plan - unlimited mileage. Price does not include state registration or state sales tax, because I'll pay that separate when I put Pennsylvania plates on the bike.

Dan

Thanks guys - definitely will post photos here immediately. The bike's not even been shipped from Yamaha yet, as I was told yesterday, Sept. 11.
OTD price was $14,788.43. This includes the 48-month YES plan - unlimited mileage. Price does not include state registration or state sales tax, because I'll pay that separate when I put Pennsylvania plates on the bike.

Dan
Congrats Dan.... thats awesome......

I didn't see in your post if you went with the ES model ?!??! I assume that without tax included that you did.... ??!?!

Sorry - should have clarified better. I got the "A" model - non ES. That's the only one the dealer had on order.

Dan

Dan
THANKS for the info. I had been checking their website "New Inventory" and they never showed one (nor does any of the other dealers I've checked). I'm looking at getting one in the next couple of months.