The 2014 FJR1300 - Woo-hoo!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wlfman - It was never actually in inventory, that's why it wasn't showing up for you. Honestly I kind of lucked out by even finding a dealer that had one on order already from Yamaha.

Dan

So I take it that the PDP deposit required that was running for 2013 has been abandoned this year? Or did your dealership just have an employee that put down the deposit for you (in advance)?
rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Honda-Yamaha of Memphis sold their first 2014 FJR today, to be delivered later this month, also making the first-ever FJR purchase for me.
Mike in sales, Emily in accounting and John in the warranty department talked to me as if I was the only customer of the day today, when in fact I knew the reality was they were all extremely busy folks. I sincerely look forward to meeting them in person later this month in western Tennessee.

Dan
hope you have it in time to bring it to EOM so we can drool on it.

I don't know about you Ionbeam but it looks like a 2014 FJR is in my future. The wife just gave her blessing today. Now to talk price with my dealer.

Tom

NOBODY bothered to tell me about the 14. I had to find out about it over on the FZ1 forum... and I'm "the" one who has been "waiting for red" all these years. Now I can start taking up donations.
rolleyes.gif

-Roger

Excuse my ignorance, but what/where is EOM?

Eastern Owners Meeting:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/149898-eom-2013-maggie-valley-nc-20-22-september-2013/

Excuse my ignorance, but what/where is EOM?
EOM = Eastern Owners Meeting at Maggie Valley, NC 20-22 September 2013

Click >>HERE<< for the Forum super decoder ring.
Thanks. Doesn't look like I'll make that. My wife and I are heading to northern Arkansas 9/27. Need to test drive the new Sargent seat.

NOBODY bothered to tell me about the 14. I had to find out about it over on the FZ1 forum... and I'm "the" one who has been "waiting for red" all these years. Now I can start taking up donations.
rolleyes.gif

-Roger
Roger, sorry you missed the broadcast dude, but it was like everywhere.
lol.gif
I see you are in TN. You should check out https://www.nashvilleriders.com. They have a lot of news on that site. Unfortunately, I'm not able to donate to your New FJR Fund at this time due to the fact that my own FJR Fund still hasn't reached the $10K mark!
sadsmiley.gif

Well, even though you get only one color, the new Candy Red is very nice!

Yamaha has announced the EU equivalent of the ES for Europa as well: over here it is called the 1300AE, and will be sold in addition to the A and AS model. Colors available for the 2014 are Black and Magnetic Bronze (so no very nice new Red variation over here...)

Find below the official Yamaha Press release info: I take it the specs are exactly the same as for your ES...

PRESS RELEASE2014 FJR1300AE

12-9-2013

Yamaha has expanded its sophisticated long-distance tourer range for 2014 with the addition of the FJR1300AE. This new model, which sits between the FJR1300A and FJR1300AS in the range, offers riders an even greater overall motorcycling package as well as a superior ride quality thanks to Yamaha’s advanced electronically-adjustable suspension system. Debuted for 2013 on the FJR1300AS with its clutchless gear shift system, the FJR1300AE now makes this system available to customers who prefer to have a standard gear box system.

The electronically-adjustable suspension system is designed to enable riders to vary the suspension’s performance to suit both the road’s surface and the load carrying requirements. With a choice of four main settings, the rider can be confident that no matter what the conditions, the Yamaha FJR1300AE will deliver the best possible set-up and ride quality.

By simply selecting an option via the easily located handlebar-mounted switch, the rider can select ‘One-Up’, ‘One-Up with Luggage’, ‘Two-Up’ or ‘Two-Up with Luggage’ suspension settings. The choice is then confirmed by a clear indication on the instrument panel. In addition to these four main settings, the system also offers the rider a choice of ‘Soft’, ‘Standard’ or ‘Hard’ damping for each setting, giving a total of 12 pre-defined suspension set-up options.

For even greater flexibility, settings can also be managed manually, allowing the rider to match the most precise setup requirements.

As the system is linked to both the front and rear suspension systems, any alteration is made in conjunction with the damping and preload on both front and rear systems and a balance is maintained to deliver smooth and consistent handling performance.

In order to fit the electronically-adjustable suspension to the bike, the FJR1300AE has new upside-down forks, updating not only the bike’s look but also its performance. The new forks contain independent damper mechanisms, splitting the compression and damping adjustment between fork legs. The compression damping mechanism is located within the left fork while the rebound damping is housed in the right fork – a system that is currently used on the Yamaha YZF-R1 as well as the Yamaha YZR-M1 MotoGP bike.

Separating out the damping forces between the fork legs is critical to the operation of the electronically-adjustable suspension as it allows the system to offer a wider and more accurate range of damping settings. The two distinct damping systems reduce the fluctuation in hydraulic pressure within the forks, helping to optimise the damping valve’s performance during hard and sustained use.

With the introduction of the 2014 FJR1300AE, Yamaha have further enhanced the long-distance capabilities of one of the most established sports tourers in Europe. Not only does the FJR1300AE come with class-leading engine and chassis performance combined with outstanding comfort levels, the electronically-adjustable suspension system significantly improves its already excellent ride quality.

12-9-2013

By simply selecting an option via the easily located handlebar-mounted switch, the rider can select ‘One-Up’, ‘One-Up with Luggage’, ‘Two-Up’ or ‘Two-Up with Luggage’ suspension settings. The choice is then confirmed by a clear indication on the instrument panel. In addition to these four main settings, the system also offers the rider a choice of ‘Soft’, ‘Standard’ or ‘Hard’ damping for each setting, giving a total of 12 pre-defined suspension set-up options.

For even greater flexibility, settings can also be managed manually, allowing the rider to match the most precise setup requirements.

As the system is linked to both the front and rear suspension systems, any alteration is made in conjunction with the damping and preload on both front and rear systems and a balance is maintained to deliver smooth and consistent handling performance.

In order to fit the electronically-adjustable suspension to the bike, the FJR1300AE has new upside-down forks, updating not only the bike’s look but also its performance. The new forks contain independent damper mechanisms, splitting the compression and damping adjustment between fork legs. The compression damping mechanism is located within the left fork while the rebound damping is housed in the right fork – a system that is currently used on the Yamaha YZF-R1 as well as the Yamaha YZR-M1 MotoGP bike.
Its hard to tell without more information but this ES appears to be a warmed over BMW EAS with a couple of more damping options. It appears you are always going to be locked in to Yamaha's pre-determined damping combinations and will not have the ability to fine tune the damping in the shock separate from the fork and will not be able to adjust the compression damping separate from the rebound damping at either end. Unfortunately, damping forces change as the oil breaks down and temperatures change and this happens at different rates between the shock and fork. Even if the damping is perfect when the bike is new its not going to stay that way very long and the suspension's inability to adjust to changing conditions is a big negative.

I have ridden 7 bikes with electronic suspensions (4 BMWs and 3 Ducatis). The BMW ESA suspensions were junk and 2 of the Ducatis gave a harsh ride on every setting although it may have been possible to manually adjust the settings using a menu and a lot of trial and error. The 2013 Ducati I rode had the new semi-active Skyhook electronic suspension and it was pretty good....but not as good as any of the 4 bikes I have sitting in my garage. The maintenance costs and long term reliability of ES systems are a big unknown but is hard to believe that they will be as trouble free as their conventional rebuildable counterparts.

rolleyes.gif

-Roger
Roger, sorry you missed the broadcast dude, but it was like everywhere.
lol.gif
I see you are in TN. You should check out https://www.nashvilleriders.com. They have a lot of news on that site. Unfortunately, I'm not able to donate to your New FJR Fund at this time due to the fact that my own FJR Fund still hasn't reached the $10K mark!
sadsmiley.gif
I understand. Cool web site. Thanks! It looks like there's plenty of time left to get an ES since they probably won't be available here until November. You know, the best part for me is that my wife would actually support me walking in and buying one even if she knows we can't really afford it. But, that's why she won't let me sell the FZ1, 'cause she knows I'd have to have the FJR then. Too bad my bike isn't worth all that much now.

-R

12-9-2013

Its hard to tell without more information but this ES appears to be a warmed over BMW EAS with a couple of more damping options. It appears you are always going to be locked in to Yamaha's pre-determined damping combinations and will not have the ability to fine tune the damping in the shock separate from the fork and will not be able to adjust the compression damping separate from the rebound damping at either end. Unfortunately, damping forces change as the oil breaks down and temperatures change and this happens at different rates between the shock and fork. Even if the damping is perfect when the bike is new its not going to stay that way very long and the suspension's inability to adjust to changing conditions is a big negative.

I have ridden 7 bikes with electronic suspensions (4 BMWs and 3 Ducatis). The BMW ESA suspensions were junk and 2 of the Ducatis gave a harsh ride on every setting although it may have been possible to manually adjust the settings using a menu and a lot of trial and error. The 2013 Ducati I rode had the new semi-active Skyhook electronic suspension and it was pretty good....but not as good as any of the 4 bikes I have sitting in my garage. The maintenance costs and long term reliability of ES systems are a big unknown but is hard to believe that they will be as trouble free as their conventional rebuildable counterparts.
Thanks for the feedback, that disappointing information. I was very excited to see this offered on the FJR. OTOH, I'm reluctant to paint a broad stroke over BMWs ESA as being "junk". Granted BMW of late has not had the best reputation but I'd be very interested to hear more feedback from people who have ridden bikes, any bikes, with ESA.

Thanks for the feedback, that disappointing information. I was very excited to see this offered on the FJR. OTOH, I'm reluctant to paint a broad stroke over BMWs ESA as being "junk". Granted BMW of late has not had the best reputation but I'd be very interested to hear more feedback from people who have ridden bikes, any bikes, with ESA.
After I test rode a K1300S and K1300GT I spent hours on the Internet trying to find out exactly what the ESA did (or didn't do) since BMW does not publish any information how it works. What I finally found on the K1300 Forums was that BMW uses a neoprene sleeve in conjunction with a spring to give 3 different "spring" rates for the 3 preload options on both shocks (front and rear) and has pre-determined damping selections for each setting. However, the Comfort, Normal, and Sport settings makes a small change to the rebound damping on the rear spring only. I could feel a difference between the 3 damping settings but would not call it an improvement and the overall ride quality was disappointing on both bikes on every setting. ESA is a $900 option at purchase and costs $3800 to replace after warranty. I have never read a magazine review that had enough guts to criticize ESA but about 40 percent of the owners on the Forums that commented on ESA were disappointed or had plenty to say, especially those who replaced the ESA with quality units from Ohlins and Wilbers. I have also ridden the K1600GLT and K1600GT and while both bikes give exceptional rides on smooth surfaces, I think that is in spite in ESA rather than because of it.

I think the active electronic suspensions which are supposed to change the compression and rebound damping settings on both ends depending on road surfaces and other factors have a lot of potential if the reliability matches the performance but I have only ridden one and while it was a vast improvement over the others, it still is not any better than good aftermarket suspension.

I'm disappointed that Yamaha has again put conventional forks on the 1300A and forced customers to buy electronic suspension in order to get inverted forks. I think the ES will probably be undersprung on both ends resulting in a plush ride at moderate speeds on smooth surfaces but still be at the back of the pack in handling comparisons with the competition. If it turns out to be an improvement over what I have then I will buy one but I think that is wishful thinking.

Does anybody else have an experience with this type of suspension? Cuz if MCRider is the only input provided here, it doesn't look very good for this potentially exciting option...