The brown pipe mystery

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motoquest

Reaction score
I have an 07 FJR that I purchased 2 years ago from a local dealer. I have put 1k miles on the bike and in that time the header has turned blue and the mufflers are starting to turn brown. I figured someone had taken off a power commander and disconnected the O2 sensor. I was in the process of selling the bike so I took it to the dealer to it checked out and confirm the problem. Well they said the checked and there are no computer codes/errors with O2 sensor and that there is no problem with the bike. Normally i trust the this dealer and have used them for over 5 years but it just seems really weird that I am getting discolored pipes without something being wrong.

So questions

1) they say bikes come in with discolored pipes all the time and it isn't something abnormal. thoughts? Its hard to believe some people go 50k miles and don't have this issue and I have it at 8k

2) What could someone have done to the bike and then removed before they sold it that would cause this? If they had installed a power commander, wouldn't things have gone back to normal when no power commander and stock pipes?

Input appreciated!

I have an 07 FJR that I purchased 2 years ago from a local dealer. I have put 1k miles on the bike and in that time the header has turned blue and the mufflers are starting to turn brown. I figured someone had taken off a power commander and disconnected the O2 sensor. I was in the process of selling the bike so I took it to the dealer to it checked out and confirm the problem. Well they said the checked and there are no computer codes/errors with O2 sensor and that there is no problem with the bike. Normally i trust the this dealer and have used them for over 5 years but it just seems really weird that I am getting discolored pipes without something being wrong.

So questions

1) they say bikes come in with discolored pipes all the time and it isn't something abnormal. thoughts? Its hard to believe some people go 50k miles and don't have this issue and I have it at 8k

2) What could someone have done to the bike and then removed before they sold it that would cause this? If they had installed a power commander, wouldn't things have gone back to normal when no power commander and stock pipes?

Input appreciated!
A) Cat's have been removed?

B) Been dragraced several times?

C) Rich fuel condition

Other than that I have no clue!

Dave

A) Cat's have been removed?

B) Been dragraced several times?

C) Rich fuel condition

Other than that I have no clue!

Dave
a) that is an interesting question. didn't know motorcycles have cats?

B) the discoloration has only happened since I have owned the bike and after 1k of riding. other than hauling my fat ass around it hasn't been abused or really past 5k rpm

c) i agree it could be a fuel issue but the O2 had no codes?

Use and forget the color. Works great! (Clickable pic)

Well good news and bad news

Bad news

I was going to sell it because I haven't riden it much and could use the money for a part time business however I didn't get anyone really interested

Good news

I've got a low milage FRJ with traction dynamic/penske suspension and I'm going to start having a freak'n blast!

I am just want to doublecheck with the board that there isn't something I really need to log into before I start getting out on the bike again. The dealer says its in perfect shape but just wanted to post here for sanity check.

The pipes can get red hot when under throttle, especially with diminished cooling conditions. The surface of the pipes chemically reacts with the heat to oils and other contaminates in the air or rain spray. That's why fingerprints get so ugly. Polish mechanically removes the top surface layer, which is why you don't want to over-do the polishing.

In other words, ride it and be happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
The pipes can get red hot when under throttle, especially with diminished cooling conditions. The surface of the pipes chemically reacts with the heat to oils and other contaminates in the air or rain spray. That's why fingerprints get so ugly. Polish mechanically removes the top surface layer, which is why you don't want to over-do the polishing.

Hmm, a little light just came on. The first summer I got the bike I did a lot of riding in 100 degree/high humidity weather. I probaby had a total of around 430 pounds on the bike. Do you think riding for an afternoon with that weight/temp would have caused the discoloration. The only issue is the bike engine temp stayed in normal range...

The dealer recommended Blue-job. Does Simichrome do a better job?

When I saw the title "The Brown Pipe Mystery" I was expecting a possible adult film review. :huh: Carry on gentlemen.

A lot of the bikes that you see that don't have blue pipes have heat shields that hide them. Another words quit worrying about it and ride.

Hmm, a little light just came on. The first summer I got the bike I did a lot of riding in 100 degree/high humidity weather. I probaby had a total of around 430 pounds on the bike. Do you think riding for an afternoon with that weight/temp would have caused the discoloration. The only issue is the bike engine temp stayed in normal range...

The dealer recommended Blue-job. Does Simichrome do a better job?
I used Blue Job on my Triumph Tiger and it didn't do a bit of good. Go for the Simichrome. :)

That is disuse tear rust. It happens when a vehicle sits in the garage and cries all over itself because it only gets ridden 1000 miles in two years. Especially when it hears tales of other bikes going that far in a single day! Make it stop crying on itself so it stops rusting. :p

Color of the pipes, color of the pipes. Looking for that on the list of stuff on the bike I give a shit about......

Still looking......

Not finding it.......

Oh, here it is, right after "Never got the third lock from the original owner."

How many miles were on it when you bought it? But 1000 miles in two years? I think the color is corrosion..... :lol:

*snip*

it just seems really weird that I am getting discolored pipes without something being wrong.
Long runs at high RPM's will turn pipes all sorts of pretty colors. I like the way mine has aged.

And if you don't ride like that, have you loaned the bike to anyone? Do you have a son that knows where you keep the key? :)

Ahh, semi chrome paste, my winters were spent polishing the crap out of my HD pieces with it back in the day! But Damn have you seen the price of the crap now, Whats it made of, rare white bat poop? Good stuff, but takes some elbow grease to do it right!

Do you know how much you could get for bottled white bird poop if you put an HD sticker on it? :D

a) that is an interesting question. didn't know motorcycles have cats?

B) the discoloration has only happened since I have owned the bike and after 1k of riding. other than hauling my fat ass around it hasn't been abused or really past 5k rpm

c) i agree it could be a fuel issue but the O2 had no codes?
You are supposed to twist the throttle. Go ahead, twist it to the stop (and hold on tight).

Don't worry about the color of the pipes.