The Curse of Odot

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are two 6mm socket screws that attach the head to the block, separate from the main head bolts under the valve cover, at the extreme right-hand side of the head.
How ------------- do you get those ----- out???

IF I can get to them, I'm yanking the head off this weekend to survey damage and start making plans to either resuscitate or euthanize the Silver Streak.
I used a 6mm allen wrench, with the long end down in the bolt head. Attach a 6mm socket with extension to the short end for more torque.

Can't lower the motor none? Damn, I'd like to know how the hell they get em out..

:jester:
That has me wonderin', too. Maybe just pull the front engine mount bolts and pivot the motor down and forward???

---Seems logical enough just need to support motor.. Ah I see help has arrived!

Maybe have to pull the driveshaft at the u-joint to prevent over stressing the joint.

----- I stressed a joint once... had'a put it in a pipe afterwards..

Stressed my "joint" once.. Had'a see a Doc :dribble:
:jester:

I used a 6mm allen wrench, with the long end down in the bolt head. Attach a 6mm socket with extension to the short end for more torque.
You're a better man than I am, SS....

I can't even SEE the front bolt. Maybe better access after I R&R the headers and radiator.

Thanks for the tip.

Howie ~

Making any progress?

Rooting for you, my man! Looking forward to some good news for a change :rolleyes: (Good news being a relative term after all the crap you've been through lately.)

Hang in there!

Don

NEW SKOOTS FOR SALE EVERYDAY.....JUST CALL OR COME IN....WE'LL SET Y'ALL UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

even floridians.

Howie ~Making any progress?

Rooting for you, my man! Looking forward to some good news for a change :rolleyes: (Good news being a relative term after all the crap you've been through lately.)

Hang in there!

Don
Started taking "stuff" off the bike over the weekend to prepare for pulling the head. It's quite the daunting task. AND it's hard to stay motivated considering the level of difficulty. Just getting to some of the attachments closely approaches the "impossible".

I'm taking it slow and sure.

"Real Life" has reared its ugly head with the return of one of the kids moving back home (with her unemployed husband) and the prospect of ANOTHER one showing up to move home any day.

Right now, the garage contains one complete bike (thank you ZRX), one dead Yamaha, with parts scattered hither and yon, and NOW, monumental piles of detritus shipped in by daughter #2. I'm lucky to even SEE the FJR amongst all the crap.

Some days I feel positive about restoring the Feej to its rightful spot as #1 in the stable.....other days, I consider selling it as a "parts bike" in classifieds. Maybe that way I can recoup a couple of $K.

Keep the bike and fix it. You raised the kids once you don't have to again. Make sure the chore list for the unemployed one is real long. :rolleyes:

Good luck with a very difficult decision.

I've got a set of PAIR cover plates packaged in a Priority Mail box with your name on it, just in case.

Keep the bike and fix it.
That's my primary thought

You raised the kids once you don't have to again. Make sure the chore list for the unemployed one is real long. :rolleyes:
Unfortunately, ALL of them are unemployed. :blink:

I have no problem with them failing, living under a bridge in an old refrigerator box, begging for quarters on the street, etc. The issue is "mom".

Moms will always be moms. Even when their kids are 32, 23 & 19 years old, respectively.

Whatcha gonna do?

Good luck with a very difficult decision.
I've got a set of PAIR cover plates packaged in a Priority Mail box with your name on it, just in case.
I hope to take you up on your extremely charitable offer one day, but if you have someone come along who "must have" a set, don't wait on me.

Appreciate the thought, though.