The FJR can't cruise

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrunDog

Reaction score
I ride by myself about 50% of the time, the other 50% with friends or neighbors who all ride Harleys.

Normally, when I ride by myself, the bike feels great. No hesitation, no herky-jerkyness, just smooth buttery goodness. Go, stop, it is all just so easy. But when I ride with my Hardley Ableson buds, the ride seems less smooth, less easy, less... I dunno... fun!

Well, it finally dawned on me yesterday when riding along the beach in tow with my HD buds, one in front, one behind: the FJR can't cruise.

Basically stated, slow, lazy riding is not manageable on this bike. It is meant to do things quickly. Accelerate, brake, snick-shift, etc. The put-put-putting along that is required of the cruiser set is just not possible on the feej without all kinds of throttle snatch transitions and clunky transmission action. Maybe it is a flywheel thing, but damn, I don't like working hard to make the ride smooth. The only way I could deal was to fall back to the last position, and have fun by myself. Accel up tp the group, fade back, swing side to side, etc. They must think I am wacko!

I guess I need new friends.

-BD

Yeah, preferably TurboDave. He's always going somewhere.

:lol:

Do your Harley buds actually make bars a ride destination, or is that just an urban legend?

The other day, I was with pillion, and trying to take it cruisey, and the bike was lurching at low, constant RPM's at the bottom of second gear. Eve asked if it was OK. I told her it just doesn't know how to go slow.

The hotter the wheather the faster I seem to go too. You sound like you are on the right bike for your likes!

Basically stated, slow, lazy riding is not manageable on this bike. It is meant to do things quickly. Accelerate, brake, snick-shift, etc. The put-put-putting along that is required of the cruiser set is just not possible on the feej without all kinds of throttle snatch transitions and clunky transmission action. Maybe it is a flywheel thing, but damn, I don't like working hard to make the ride smooth. The only way I could deal was to fall back to the last position, and have fun by myself. Accel up tp the group, fade back, swing side to side, etc. They must think I am wacko!

-BD
Dont know about the friends issue, never had any myself but I agree. in fact i find that going slow makes me nervous and I 50 pence in corners more.

Then again, maybe its me :(

Keep your friends. If they are happy with what they are riding and you are happy with what you are riding, just make adjustments; maybe you just need to drop down one gear (and let the feejer sing a little).

I just sold my cruiser, 2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic - to buy my FJR. My cruiser was silky smooth and loud as shizit bobbing around in town with the other cruisers - it did well on the highway too - but without a fairing and windsheild it was never much fun - I always felt like a punching bag being beat up by the wind and turbulence.

The FJR is my 1st sport/touring bike and I head her out straight for long stretches of highway and pick up some twisties along the way - cruising along at 70-75mph never felt so good - and swinging corners without smoking your heels is a big plus - the Vulcan rode so low I would drag a board getting out of my driveway.

I've only had my FJR about 6 weeks and 1,700 miles - but I'd say she a nimble speed machine and I with my experience on both on a cruiser and FJR I'd seem to agree with you that the Feej isn't all that much fun when chugging along with the cruiser group.

I'd say you need new riding friends. I have a couple of motorcyclist friends who ride Harleys and I never have a problem...however, they do RIDE their bikes, not just putt along to impress the onlookers.

The FJR is meant to be a spirited bike. Comparing the FJR to a Harley is like comparing a thoroughbred and a plow horse. Both horses but entirely different animals. Personally I like Harleys and think they are good bikes for cruising the city but give me the FJR for spirited riding in the country.

I think you might be making a mistaken observation. An FJR CAN cruise at any speed you choose from a walk to well over 100mph in comfort and safety. Although I have no idea what your friends ride like, I would find it much safer to walk through Baghdad naked, alone and carrying an American flag than riding in a group of HD riders.

A quote from the 1930's - "Harley Davidson made of tin, ride'em out and walk'em in"

A quote from an illustrious member of this forum -"98% of all HD's are still on the road, the other 2% made it home."

Far too many HD's run on alcohol, not the engine, the rider. Don't believe me, look at the bikes parked outside of the bars near your favorite riding areas.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know what you are talking about. Most hd people don't ride. They putt around. Once on a ride with my wife and other hd riders my wife splits off and I stop her and ask her what's up? She says she might as well be home sitting in front of a fan for all the fun she is having putting along the highway at 50mph. What I ended up doing was finding a sport bike group and riding with them. It takes me an hour to meet up with them but at least they ride, both distance and speed. Find some additional friends/riders or you will not enjoy the excellent bike you bought. Everett ps semper fi

I'd say you need new riding friends. I have a couple of motorcyclist friends who ride Harleys and I never have a problem...however, they do RIDE their bikes, not just putt along to impress the onlookers.
Exactly, mike.

My buddy and I did a "leisurely" 300+ miles yesterday... me on my (HD) and him on his Busa (read 180+ hp). I would guess we averaged 70-75 on the highways and around 55-60 on the byways. Mixed riding and Fun. He favored me and removed one spark plug so I could keep up :blink:

Me? I don't give a sh** what you ride, so long as you ride and enjoy the road. Two wheels are what matters (IMO).

Lennie

Ha! This reminds me of the time the HP pulled me over for speeding. After the warning, he decided to follow me for some miles. The speed limit was 35 mph. Try THAT on an FJR!

Ha! This reminds me of the time the HP pulled me over for speeding. After the warning, he decided to follow me for some miles. The speed limit was 35 mph. Try THAT on an FJR!
That is one of the occasions when a cruise control is invaluable.