The green, green grass of Don Quixote's home

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwhite518

Reaction score
It's the time of year when the hills are green. Let's go check it out before it all turns brown again. We'll meet in Clayton and ride the backroads of the Altamont area. See the windmills up close! Cows too! It's a loop route, only about 100 miles, but now's the time to do it.

Meeting place:

Starbucks

2922 N. Main at Treat Blvd

Walnut Creek

Gather at 8:30 AM.

Kickstands up 9:00 AM.

My cell is 510-701-5118 for last minute updates.

Lunch

Skipolini's Pizza in Clayton

1033 Diablo St

Clayton

Route Map

Disclaimer: It's been pointed out to me that Morgan Territory Road is a bumpy, potholed, debris-strewn goat track. Yes. Yes, it is.

Riders as of 3/21/08

jwhite518

james burleigh

rockwells

ditbwc

seadog (ST.N)

nny (ST.N)

261922234_Lu2MM-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the time of year when the hills are green. Let's go check it out before it all turns brown again. We'll meet somewhere in Concord (exact location TBD), and ride the backroads of the Altamont area. See the windmills up close! Cows too! It's a loop route, only about 100 miles, but now's the time to do it. I'm taking suggestions for lunch locations in Brentwood or Oakley.
Who's in?
What's the deal with Don Quixote? The Windmills?

Sorry, I won't be able to do it (dang it!). :(

I'll be floating in a panga near San Ignacio, Baja Del Norte, petting some grey whale calves on that day! :p

You are correct, sir.

The Green, Green Grass of Home = a country song. Listen to Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison.

Don Quixote = windmill guy.

Put em all together and you get a motorcycle ride that goes through green grass and windmills.

OK it's a clumsy name, but the ride will be fun. Perhaps not as fun as relaxing in Baja, but not bad for Contra Costa County.

Count me in, Sancho. I'll look for a Starbucks or equivalent with bathroom and gas station near that intersection. Depending on turnout, we can also do Jame's and Fang's home, and then I can lead y'all the nice quiet back way onto Marsh Creek Rd. I will forward to James II. (I enjoyed that little San Leandro twisty getting to Redwood Rd.)

Don Quixote's home / ....See the windmills up close!
LOL,

Oh, my good ol' buddy Don Quixote! ...the only bastard I know crazier than I am. The guy could have taught Hunter Thompson a thing or two about adventure.

We often pillage the nevada desert (don and I) in search of windmills but we never seem to get past the peyote.

Me thinks I might have to sharpen the spear and charge some windmills with you guys. .....hmmm

24.jpg

Don Quixote's home / ....See the windmills up close!
LOL,

Oh, my good ol' buddy Don Quixote! ...the only bastard I know crazier than I am. The guy could have taught Hunter Thompson a thing or two about adventure.

We often pillage the nevada desert (don and I) in search of windmills but we never seem to get past the peyote.

Me thinks I might have to sharpen the spear and charge some windmills with you guys. .....hmmm

24.jpg
Dude -

That SOB's in ATTGATT! Lookit' the size of those clodhoppers?

Good one, Johnny Reno! :D

Final bump-a-rena. Now's the time for you fence-sitters to join the party. You know who you are. Weather's going to be beautiful on Saturday.

I would like to join up for the ride ill be heading from west sac.Aaron
So what time do you have to wake up to get to Concord from Salem, OR, by 8:30? :blink:

You will take 80 west, merging onto 680 south at the tail end of Fairfield (past the Budweiser building). Keep an eye out for the merge; it's easy to miss.

After you cross the Benicia Bridge (note the new suspension bridge, first of its kind built in the US in decades), take the Treat Blvd exit in Concord. Turn left at the signal at the bottom of the off-ramp. Immediately get into the left-turn pocket to enter the small shopping center on your left. Starbucks dead ahead.

I live in Concord and go to Sack-a-Tomatoes all the time. From central Sacramento it will take you (depending on velocity :rolleyes: ) and hour to an hour and 10 minutes. Saturday morning will be wide open. Wear your mittens (oh, never mind; you're from Oregon, where they have real weather).

Looking forward to meeting you.

Jb

You will take 80 west, merging onto 680 south at the tail end of Fairfield (past the Budweiser building). Keep an eye out for the merge; it's easy to miss.
Aaron,

The 680 ramp is the 2nd off-ramp after the truck scales.

The first off-ramp (1/4 mile after scales) is Suisun Valley Rd, then the 680 ramp follows another 1/4 mile or so. JB is right, if you don't know the area it's easy to drive past. IF you do, go to Red Top Rd. and go under the freeway and head back West.

You guys have a great time today....and be safe!

[SIZE=8pt]As opposed to "be good"....I know summa youse![/SIZE]

Aaron,

The 680 ramp is the 2nd off-ramp after the truck scales.

The first off-ramp (1/4 mile after scales) is Suisun Valley Rd, then the 680 ramp follows another 1/4 mile or so. JB is right, if you don't know the area it's easy to drive past. IF you do, go to Red Top Rd. and go under the freeway and head back West.

You guys have a great time today....and be safe!

[SIZE=8pt]As opposed to "be good"....I know summa youse![/SIZE]

Thanks, Mad. Have fun on your ride today. Hope to see you and the Sac crowd again soon.

Latest posts