The ONE Picture Ride Report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
July 2016

Every heard somebody say “I’m about to come uncorked”? I liken that to a champagne bottle. The contents are under extreme pressure, begging to be let out. The wrapper is removed, followed by the wire tie. At this point, something has got to give. As the cork is wiggled, the contents start the path of least resistance. Finally, the cork flies and immediately thereafter is the explosion. As fast as it starts, it’s over and things return to some sense of normalcy.

It’s been one of those kind of weeks. My Assistant Director and right hand man was on vacation. Everybody deserves a vacation, but when your stable only has a few horses, everyone counts. From the word go on Monday and through the end of the week, I was running like a headless chicken, putting out proverbial fires left and right. At times, it seemed like a blur. My A/D earns his money, that much I was re-assured this week.

Of course, the usual vocational B.S. doesn’t stop either. Weekly meetings, deadlines, reports, phone calls, an endless electronic sea of emails, and just about anything else you can think of. At one relatively large gathering of colleagues, I’m struggling to keep my shit together. My phone is blowing up, I haven’t had lunch yet, and this guy is foaming at the mouth and for the love of Pete, he simply will not stop his dribbling vomit. I faked a phone call, excused myself, and by the grace of the all mighty, saved myself from going postal.

Needless to say, when the whistle blew on Friday, there was no rest for the weary. Down here on the Gulf Coast, at this time of year, the yard work will not relent. The grass needs cutting and the beds weeding. In an act of total stupidity, earlier in the week, I told SWMBO that I would help clean the house this weekend. We did a little horse trading and even a round of “rock, paper, scissors” to divvy up the chores. I got bathrooms and the floors. Could be worse, I guess.

I get home Friday and start inside, before moving out to the sauna to cut the grass and clean up the yard. Two hours later, I’m sweating like a hooker in church. No joke – I could not be more wet if I jumped in a swimming pool with my clothes on. I turn the box fan on in my shop and sit down next to the FJR with a cool glass of water. The fan is blowing against my stinky wet torso and providing a little evaporative cooling in the humid shop. I look over toward my bike and I’m thinking “Boy, I’d sure like to go for a ride tomorrow”.

About then, the skies unzipped and a heavy summer shower dumps on top of me. In 5 minutes, the temperature dropped 20 degrees and it felt like Mother Nature turned on the air conditioner. I took my shirt, socks, and shoes off, and stood in the driveway like a little country boy, cooling off in the rain.

Refreshed, I toweled off in the carport and walked into the house with one word clearly on my mind – BEER. I grabbed a cold one and mosied to the bathroom. As I reflected back on my week, I remember thinking “well, at least it’s over. I’ve got the rest of the weekend to play, to do whatever I want!!”

Not so fast, Pants.

Out of the shower, I grabbed another cold brew and moved toward the office to sit down at the computer and relax. SWMBO comes into the office and politely declares that we are double dating with my sister and her husband. We are going out to eat and then walk next door to a small bar that has team trivia. Oh joy, just what I friggin need. I’m not totally shocked. She did mention something about this earlier in the week. I just hadn’t heard much in the last day (or perhaps I wasn’t paying much attention), and I figured it fell through. I love my sis and BIL, and they are great company on a double date.
It’s just I was so looking forward to about 3 more brewskies and some snacks, followed by a simple quiet meal and maybe some boob tube. Besides – I hate trivia games. I don’t remember any of that crap.

Oh well, no point in sucking my thumb. What’s done is done. I put a shirt on and some sandals and of we go. We had a great time. Food was delicious, and I tried a couple of new beers at the trivia bar. Our team (Tequilla Mockingbird) did pretty good, even though it was obvious we were sitting in a crowd of intellectuals. I even contributed; getting two questions correct for our team the others had no clue about (German word for light beer that also means Grocery Store – Lager, Where is the rock group ABBA from – Sweden).

By the time we got home, I was pretty tired and had mostly written off the ride for tomorrow. I figured I would wake up whenever I felt rested, and whatever happens after that we will just have to see.

This morning, I’m woken up about 5:30 am rested and hearing a different kind of bird peeping on the back patio in the daybreak light. The nest of 3 cardinal eggs have hatched during the night and the momma is peeping at her triplets. I made some coffee and watched them in the low light for a few minutes. I walked out the front door to get the newspaper and was pleasantly surprised to feel the temperature just a little bit cooler than it normally is. That frog strangler rain yesterday evening did a nice job of cooling things off.

Inspired, I decided to gear up and go for a ride. As I taxi out of the neighborhood, Green Onions by B.B. King comes into my ear buds. The catchy organ rip gets me moving and excited about the ride. I turn onto the highway and twist the wrist. I have NO idea where I’m going. I decide to play a little game of “left/right/left/right”. I ride the road I’m on until I either get to the end of the road, a stop sign, or a signal light, whichever comes first. Then I turn left. At the end of that road, next stop sign, or next signal, whichever comes first, I turn right. Then left. Then right, and so on….

The game takes me well out to the west of the city in the sticks. The summer crops are in full swing now in the deep south. The milo is headed out on top of the plant, and from what I can tell, no cow is going to go hungry this winter. Soybeans are set on the plant, and harvesting for these is only a couple weeks away. The sugar cane is tall, perhaps 6 feet or higher now. But the stalks are thin and it will be a few months before the sweet juice inside them is ready for processing. The rice fields are dry, having been drained for a couple of weeks. The rice is ready to be cut now. The nutty aroma emitted by the dried rice plants is very nice, coming up through my helmet.

I quit playing my game and started riding more familiar and desirable pavement. It’s still very early in the morning, and the roads are basically desolate. The temperature is slowly rising, but so far it’s not too bad under my mesh jacket. Yesterday’s rain has cleaned up the roads very well – plenty of grip all around today on my worn, but not worn out Michelin PR2s. I run through several small towns: Ridge, Rayne, Crowley, Eunice, and Mamou. Each town is basically quiet, except at the convenience stores where people are buying supplies and fuel for either their work day, or as in my case, play day.

Just outside Mamou, I roll up on the intersection of State Hwy 1161. What an unbelievable blessing!!!! This is one of my favorite roads in the entire region. Basically a freshly paved farm road, Hwy 1161 has some very high speed banked sweepers that are wide open with great visibility. Just off the intersection, I pull off and stop to drink some water.

IMG_2684_zpsw2drb1dz.jpg

A couple of farm hands are hacking on an old rice combine across the way. On my side of the road, a dried rice field is swaying in the light breeze. Down the road in another field, I can see a handful of cows having breakfast on some tall grass.

Refreshed, I gear back up and hit play on my MP3 player: AC/DC – Thunderstruck. Oh yeah, that’s the right song and the right road, baby. I’ve had a hell of a week. It’s time to uncork this bike right here, right now!!!

I crank the volume up and run the big girl up the gears aggressively, shifting at about 7,000 rpm. By the time I get to the first curve, posted 40, I’m running 65-ish and my crotch is up against the tank. I lean the bike over in 3rd gear and the suspension plants beautifully. The road is clean and wide open. No cars coming, no dogs, no nothing. Past the apex, I twist the throttle hard as Brian Johnson starts verse #1. I get a rush of adrenaline as the bike is pulling hard. For the next 4 miles, I hit the high speed sweeper with the precision of a Moto GP racer. My lines are absolutely perfect and it’s like somehow the bike knows what I am thinking. At times, I add a smidge of counter steer to the bars and she flops over with huge confidence. For 2 or 3 curves, I’m treated to Angus’ solo and it fuels me like some kind of high octane race gas. At one point as I’m accelerating out of a very fast left hander, I glance down to the speedo. I lifted my eyes back up to look through the next curve before I could accurately read my speed. All I remember is that the first digit was a “1”. Enough said…..

Too soon, the curves end. I pull up and back off the throttle. The bike slows down well below “going to jail” speed and after about 1 mile of straight pavement, Hwy 1161 dead ends at the intersection of Hwy 29. The boys are wrapping up their song and quite appropriately, I’m feeling pretty electric. I’ve got a little tingle in my fingers and my heartbeat is elevated. I turn the music volume down and immediately start to calm. I turn right on Hwy 29 and set the GPS for home. Of course I know how to get there, but I like gadgets as much as the next guy. It was a very nice and easy 50 miles to the house.

The cork is out now. All pressures are back to normal.

Stay thirsty, my friends……

Last edited by a moderator:
I really hadn't planned on posting a picture, but I love the the format of this ONE pic ride report. And do not want to violate integrity of the concept.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that the above story by Pants is so freaking awesome. I feel like I was there with him or have had the exact same experience before. The songs are different but the emotions are duplicate. Joey, as others have said, you can write my friend!!

It all started when Wifey asked if my bike could make it to Florida to see my buddy who lives there. I tell her this is one of the greatest machines ever made. A true innovation known as a "Sport Tourer", it can go anywhere, anytime, at any speed. (She seems impressed). Truth be told, this was the first real road trip. I had no F-ing clue what I was doing. Multiple nights in campgrounds, variances in road types, crossing the barrier from day tripper to "big time" tourer. I am leaving in a T-shirt and jeans. (I have Wolverine work boots on though). No way I was gonna let her know that I was the novice on this trip. Just "fake it til you make it" has been my motto before.

The picture says little to the imperceptive but to the addicted it says "everything". Multiple ram mounts for GPS and camera capture the open road of the Illinois/Indiana border. Heading to Jacksonville via the Dragon. I was a real LD Rider. I have never been further than 250 miles from "home" and this trip will be at least 1200 one way. My God, what am I thinking enters my mind as the heat of the day starts. 90.5 degrees the digital temp is registering around 3:30pm. Heck, I don't even have a riding jacket at this time. I stop by Cycle Gear in Indy and tell them I am going on tour and need a jacket since I am now a serious rider. I am not sure what is more dilusional, my gear/equipment choices or my perception of myself.

Purring along at 74mph is sublime as no cops care about four over and Illinois at the time was still 65 on interstates. DAMN, I am a lawless Rebel. Indiana was 70, completely wreckless speed just across the border!! Lol.

My GPS is a cheap car version, but I got it on an X-grip, so I am almost an Iron Butt rider. (Not).

I have earbuds stuffed into my helmet and a cord running out to my phone since I will be riding so far. (I can barely get my bladder and candy butt to make it to the next fuel stop.)

I am not a real rider yet, barely above the Harley crowd, but I want to be a real rider someday.

Well, after a few years, I think I have made a few miles to not have to fake it anymore.

Again, Joey- you are the the man when it comes to ride reports--great or small!

I rode to the city square to visit the farmers market, and get a sausage roll for breakfast from the Australian Bakery there. It was only 10AM and it was brutal in the sun, especially in riding pants (everything else was on the bike) and I had just had enough, wanted to get back to air conditioning. Once back on the bike, however, and especially in the shade, the air moving thru the mesh felt great. Then I noticed it was clouding up, so I turned around and headed North to pick up a tag for a local picture game outside of a science museum. It was about 30 miles of interstate, and although traffic was fairly heavy, it was running a consistent 80-ish (70 posted) so it was a nice cruise. After picking up the tag, I also snagged this pic with an old Cat 797 (I think) which is an interesting piece of equipment if you care to look it up. Then headed a little further North before getting back on the highway towards Atlanta. I jumped off and cut across to avoid heavy Southbound traffic due to construction, and rode a few roads I'd not been on before. The sun was back out and the temp was climbing, so rather than stop for lunch, I just came home, cracked open a cold one, and ate something I'd picked up the day before.

Life is good - especially on two!

cat_zpsdsvwvdbx.jpg

This is a one picture, whole weekend, ride report:

Like Joey Pants, I had a pretty crappy week at work this week, as has been a pattern lately. Our inept sales people are making our service lives miserable, and having to deal with the new design engineers in Japan is becoming tiresome. I took 1/2 day of vacation time on Friday afternoon so I could hook up with FJReady and his friend Rick from work for an RTL (ride to lunch) to the Wahoo's Eatery in Wilmington, Vermont. A great little road side stand for locally grown, grass fed burgers on Rte 9 just east of the "center" of Wilmington and the intersection of Route 100. Russ and Rick work together in Wilmington, MA, so they call these Friday afternoon rides the Wilmington to Wilmington.

We met in Townsend, MA, then continued across Rte 119, to Hinsdale, NH then up Rte 63 to Rte 9, and took that across to Wilmington, VT. For those not familiar with it, Rte 9 can be a fun ride. It is mostly big sweepers, but changes elevation considerably as you cross the spine of the southern Green Mountains. There are a couple of truck lanes that allow you to pass any slow moving cars, and it isn't too difficult to maintain ~ 70 mph with some judicious (and legal in VT) pass on the double yellows.

After feeding on the tasty burgers, we hopped on Route 100, which is the scenic road that runs N-S on the east side of the Green Mountain range the entire length of Vermont. It can get busy on spots, but is a pretty ride even when slow. To avoid the congestion in the busy intersection town of Ludlow (Okemo ski area), we bailed out at Rte 11 in Londonderry, and headed back to the east, jumped on Rte 103 in Chester through Rockingham to the Bellows Falls river crossing.

NH and VT are separated by the Connecticut River for most of their common border. (but they are separated in many others ways by more than the river) Getting back and forth between NH and VT in the southern 2/3rds means having to cross the big Connecticut, and there are limited number of places to cross, so you have to plan accordingly. It's kind of like making border crossings into Canada, except without the nasty (American) customs agents.

Once in NH I led the boys onto Rte 123 east from Walpole and we ran up the riverside section that was washed away (and subsequently rebuilt and improved) back during Hurricane Irene. Ever since being rebuilt it has held up well, and is a short but twisty delight, with unusually open (for New England) sight lines all the way from the village of Alstead to Lake Warren in South Acworth. We only had to make one Vermont pass on a slow moving soccer Mom (honest, Ossifer, I thought we were still in Vermont!)

The biggest pleasure was to find that they had just finished repaving Rte 123 from Lake Warren all the way to route 9 in Stoddard, two long sections that were seriously in need of work (previously reported elsewhere). The pavement was so fresh they had not yet painted the lines and still had the little plastic square markers nailed to the center line. We didn't hit too much traffic, and the other two guys haven't ridden that road nearly as much as I have over the years. Some good riding fun was had by all.

By the time we split up in Manchester (what we locals call ManchVegas, the biggest city in NH) the heat was pretty bad. It had been bearable until we hit the traffic and lights, but the other guys only had about 45 minutes more of Rte 101 highway to get them over to Hampton on the coast, their final destination that evening, and I was just 5 minutes from my garage.

Saturday was too damn hot to ride. I smoked some meat instead and hung out waiting for a cord wood delivery. That night we had a rippin' good thunderstorm come through, and just like in Joey's story the temps dropped nicely.

Sunday morning was cool and the air had dried out nicely. I checked the Tag-o-ramas on ADVriders and all of the local tags were either too far, uninteresting, in limbo, or I had been the one that placed it. So rather than riding the FJR again, on Sunday I loaded up the GPS with the routes and tracks for "The Hampster Ride", and hopped onto the Vstrom for a little dirt roads fun.

The Hampster is similar to the more famous "Puppy Dog Ride" over in Vermont, but runs N-S the length of New Hampshire. It is a series of linked together dirt roads and rural paved roads, suitable for big-bike dual sporting. The beefy ManStrom is perfect for this kind of riding, especially with the Big Block Shinko knobbies I have on it right now.

I had ridden some short sections of it previously, but I wanted to follow the entire southern half of it to test out how well the GPS route (which I had a hand in creating) agrees with the official track logs. With the zumo 660 that I have on the 'Strom I can run the route for "turn by turn" prompted directions, and have the track log being passively displayed on the map in the background. It worked out really well, and the routing was pretty much perfect.

I jumped onto the route where it passes through Wilton at about 9:30 AM, and rode it for the next 4 1/2 hours straight; over 150 miles of mostly dirt, up to the north side of seasonal Long Pond Road through the White Mountain National Forest, and crosses the Appalacian Trail, to where it intersects with Rte 116 up in Benton, NH.

It was a wonderful solo ride. The air stayed clear and cool, the dirt roads were in great shape with the previous night's rain keeping the dust down and not too many deep puddles to ford. There weren't all that many bugs out even in the deeper wooded areas, and the bike was singing along nicely between my legs.

For a good part of the ride I was noticing the fresh tire tracks of another rider ahead of me. From the acceleration patterns it was pretty clear that he was riding the same route that I was, and in the same direction, but I had no idea how far ahead of me that he was. After following him for several hours, I finally caught up to him at the Upper Baker Pond in Orford, where he had pulled over into a shady spot to take a break. I waved as I rolled by, but did not stop to chat. I knew that he was likely enjoying his solo ride through the woods the same as I had been. But of course he didn't yet know that we were riding the same route. I'm sure that he figured that out pretty soon after as he followed my tire marks for a while.

The Strom's range is about 170 miles, and I had filled up in Wilton just before getting dirty, so it was about time to go looking for some fuel anyway. Plus it was now after 2 PM and I was a few hours north of home. Looped back south to Warren (where the Redstone Missile is) for gas, and then rode all familiar 2 lane roads back south to the barn, just in time for happy hour with the missus.

I didn't stop for too many photos yesterday but got the idea that I would post one here. This is Stevenson Pond at the side of Orfordville Rd in Lyme, NH. Some sharp eyed NERDS may recognize it as it was the dirt road I used to drag the crew down on the Greens and Whites rides that we had many moons ago.

What a pleasant spot. What a beautiful day.

IMG_1061.jpg

Another great ride day, and this one completely different from the one on Friday.

Sometimes we just have to stop ourselves from all fretting and frittering over what happens at work and be thankful and appreciate the good fortune we have, to be able to get out and enjoy our lives so fully, however we choose to do that.

Here is a picture from Saturday. I left Ohio Thursday morning, rode over rt 50 to Clarksburg and took 250 south to Waynesboro to pick up the BRP. 50 miles into the BRP I realized I had cords showing in the rear tire, so over to Lynchburg, VA where I had a new one installed. It had to have went flat, cause it had plenty of tread when I left. Then I made it to Fancy Gap for the Night. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday I rode all around the Smokey Mountain area and stayed at Microtel in Maggie Valley. One night I even ran into some fellow FJR owners heading to NAFO. This picture is my favorite from the trip, Saturday at Deals Gap was surprisingly empty. Not very many bikes at all. Entire trip was 5 days, 7 states, and 1600 miles.

1224538_zpslellvsht.jpg

March 2015

John and I rode up to the Ozarks to meet some loony tunes from the mid west. One dude from Indiana, another from Illinois, and a 3rd from Iowa. Now what the heck would two Cajuns have in common with these guys? All 5 of us found each other in Harrison, Arkansas and in an instant, it was like we knew each other for years.

The motorcycle does this. It's like some kind of conversational icebreaker that each of us finds comfortable. Forget politics, religion, philosophy, family matters, food taste. Forget everything. Who gives a shit? The dude rides an awesome motorcycle and he had balls enough to meet me halfway and share some miles. That's plenty enough for now. Let's ride and see where this goes.

We had a wonderful weekend. Of course the ride was awesome. The weather is good, the bikes are great, and the roads in the Ozarks during the spring are fantastic. Up there, at that time, I'd have fun riding a donkey by myself. But at the stops, the good gets better. Conversation flows effortlessly. Everyone is talking with excitement. Each of us can hardly get a word in edgewise. We are 5 middle aged men giggling like 5 year old kids in an armpit farting contest.

It was so cool, man.

Breathe deeply and slowly boys. This is as good as it gets.

crooked%20and%20steep88_zpsj1ythxie.jpg

Stay thirsty, my friends....

IMG_1990_zpsas4rtk4l.jpg

We are in Huntsville Tx today for my daughter's wedding, I had to go hit some of the local roads while we are here, they are a treat compared to what we have back home, nothing like Colorado of course, but will have to do for today. I had a bambi trot out of the woods and pause by the side of the road right in front while I was doing 65 mph, yikes! no way to stop in time, but a with a couple of brief blasts from my Stebel horn it made her bag ass back into the woods. Whew, crisis averted this time. Didn't get a picture of bambi, but did get this one, in this heat I'll take any shade I can get.

TN-129 isn't quite as twisty as US-129, and not nearly as busy. Plus its 220 miles closer to home. Oh, and the headlights are "on" on my 2016, not that you can tell even slightly off-center. This is an interesting sign in Petersburg, TN:

GPS_Is_Wrong_zps8zxubrbc.jpg

Fall 2013

John and I have been wandering for a few days now. We've found our way past Tennessee and continue northeast into the southwestern tip of Virginia, riding generally in and out of the Cumberland Gap. In my 48 years, this is only the 2nd time I've touched Virginian soil. I know where I am on the map, but I have no idea where I am in the non-geographic sense of the term. I have no clue regarding what there is to do or see in these parts. The reality of this is extremely rewarding to us. John and I have absolutely no where to go, and all day to get there. We are free to let our minds wander. To take in the environment as it is presented to us, and to appreciate it for what it is - beautiful and exciting.

As we ride along this valley, with a 4000 foot mountain range as a backdrop to our right, I get such a warm feeling of peace in my soul. I get this feeling often on the bike, usually when I'm far from home on an adventure. Truthfully, I really can't believe that I'm doing it. I'm actually wandering this beautiful country on my motorcycle. I'm seeing the world through my helmet visor. The view from there is so vastly different from that which I see without my helmet. Outside the helmet, sometimes things just don't seem right. There is always an extraneous factor that clouds the view, and interferes with the judgment and the experience. But behind the helmet visor, everything seems just right. I'm alive and happy. I'm appreciative of my many (MANY) blessings. The world gives me exactly what I give it. Nothing more, nothing less - it's a fair trade and I'm very satisfied with it. It's spiritual, really. There's no other word that does it justice. My spirit is totally immersed in the now, and it's wonderful.

I'm sure Mr. Jessie's mill was hopping way back when. For now, all that's left is a road. John and I were so blessed to find Mr. Jessie's road that day.

cgdaythree31_zps27644453.jpg

Stay thirsty, my friends.

IMG_3096_zpskch47moe.jpg

Was hit by a deer just outside of Bonner's Ferry, ID. Doing 60 MPH when the jihadi deer came out of the brush at full speed and smacked into my front wheel at the axle on the left side. Stayed on two wheels but veered into the oncoming lane for a moment. A car was there, but it reacted quickly and moved to the shoulder. Spousal Unit was behind me and said it looked like half the deer vaporized and the other half slid in front of her and then off the right side of the road. No injury to me, the bike and my left leg were covered in deer gore, front fender was shattered, auxiliary light mount was mangled but the bike was rideable. Put 1,000 miles on it up in Canada before making it back to the Outpost.

Wow! Helluva guardian angel you've got there!
angel.gif
That is very true. It all happened so quickly it is hard to fathom. In the same instant I saw the deer (came out of brush that grows right next to the road at full speed), felt pain in my thumb from the handle bars being jammed back, felt moisture on my left leg (deer gore) and saw that I was in the wrong lane. It would have turned out differently had I not had both hands on the handlebars, had Spousal Unit been following too closely and hit the carcass, and had it been a bigger animal. Spousal unit thinks it was a yearling and under 100 pounds.

NERDS at Stowe VT. Almost all rides either start by going north through Smugglers Notch letting you know it's going to be a fine day of riding or returns through Smugglers Notch letting you know it has been a fine day of riding. If you are unlucky enough to return to Stowe from the southern end, it takes you past Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream -- another way to finish a fine day of riding. (What the picture doesn't convey is the very steep upward elevation change.)

IMG_2836a-XL.jpg

NERDS at Stowe VT. Almost all rides either start by going north through Smugglers Notch letting you know it's going to be a fine day of riding or returns through Smugglers Notch letting you know it has been a fine day of riding. If you are unlucky enough to return to Stowe from the southern end, it takes you past Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream -- another way to finish a fine day of riding. (What the picture doesn't convey is the very steep upward elevation change.)
[img=[URL="https://photos.smugmug.com/Travels/Stowe-16/i-rqkM7X8/0/XL/IMG_2836a-XL.jpg%5D"]https://photos.smugmug.com/Travels/Stowe-16/i-rqkM7X8/0/XL/IMG_2836a-XL.jpg][/URL]
That day we had the added pleasure of riding it northward in the a.m. (I'm out of sight just around the rock in the picture above) and southward on our return to Stowe, our bellies full from a delicious lunch at 158 Main in Johnsonville VT with bread still baked today in a monstrosity of an oven dating back to the 1940s of 50s. They also use the front of it to advertise their daily specials.

DSCN0545_zpsf1gfdd0f.jpg

My sidekick this summer at the famous Mi Vida Mine in Utah. Wonder what's more dangerous, the structure or what came out of that mine...hmmmmm.