The ONE Picture Ride Report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
September 2017

Mike and I have been touring together for many years and thousands upon thousands of miles. He's a good friend and a great rider. Within the last year, I've met Mike's friends Randy and Tom, who are also good riders. We've enjoyed a few day trips together and each time we ride, Mike and I egg them on about how cool it is to go somewhere farther. Late in the summer, we realize they cannot be teased any longer. So I suggest a long Labor Day weekend ride to Arkansas. The Ozarks are a wonderful place to bring a rider for the first time. The roads are fantastic there and the traffic should be manageable this time of year.

We'll do 5 days, which is enough time to take your time and yet feel like you've been somewhere. I suggest camping, but Randy and Tom aren't ready for that, so Mike makes reservations at hotels in Mountain View and Jasper, which will put us smack dab in the middle of the good stuff. We start a group text about 3 weeks out and I can tell those two are really getting excited. Randy is a planner, so the weekend before we leave, he invites us to his house to go over the game plan. Out of respect, Mike and I appease him. I want him and Tom to be comfortable and feel safe with us. But we've ridden Arkansas at least a dozen times. We don't need a map, let alone a plan.

Of course it never fails. As go date gets closer, the weather turns to crapola. Not too cold thankfully, but there's a cool front coming through our region and it's going to be rainy at first. Randy gets nervous and suggest we cancel. But I convince them to keep an open mind. I know the weather forecast changes frequently, often for the better. On Wednesday, the front is approaching, but if we can get through Thursday, the rest of the weekend will be great. Mike and I convince the others to take a chance. Shoot - we all come into this world wet. We'll be just fine.

We leave home in rain gear and riding very conservatively as the wind is strong and the rain steady. We ride most of the day in the wet, but I adjusted our route a bit westerly to put us through the front and by mid afternoon, the roads are drying and getting very curvy.

For the entire weekend, we had an absolute blast. We laughed until we cried. We drank good beer and decent Tequila. We ate what we could find and it was plenty good enough. We stopped and sniffed, and we walked on a few trails to get the blood pumping in our legs.

And we rode Arkansas like it should be ridden.

I made great day loops through all of the best roads. That is not hard to do in northwestern Arkansas. You could hardly make a mistake on those roads. And they were all in terrific shape with very little traffic. Tom's 650 V-Strom was a little underpowered, but I convinced him to not take any chances passing slower traffic and he settled in very well. There were no oopsies, tip overs, mechanical issues, or anything of the slightest inconvenience.

It was well beyond painless. It was quite joyful, to be honest. Seeing those two discover those roads under those conditions was so cool. We would stop on the side of the road and I would see giggling under their helmets before we even turn the ignition keys to off. We would walk to the overlook and I could hardly get a word in edgewise.

"How cool was that section back there?"

"Boy, these roads grip!!"

"Did you see me hanging it out on that one curve?"

"Man, THIS is what riding a motorcycle is supposed to be...."

(Pants) "Hold on guys. We haven't gotten to the good part yet. Wait till you see Hwy xxx!!"

And on and on and on.....

We were 7 year old boys stuck in 50 and 60 something year old bodies. Not a care in the world. No where to go and all day to get there. There was no discussion about work, bills and payments, troubles, or anything of the like. No thank you - there is not room for that this weekend. We've got way too many miles to cover instead.

After a particularly spirited run up Hwy 123, I pulled off at Sam's Throne to let the adrenaline wean down. We walked a quarter mile on the trail to the overlook. Take a long look and burn it into your memory, my friends. Because I'm gonna tell ya, you can take resolve. It doesn't get any better than this. You've reached the pinnacle. I hope you have the courage to realize it.

Big%20Kids-X2.jpg

Stay Thirsty, My Friends....

IMG_7627.jpg

Titus Canyon (don't know it? Google up) last Friday night on my KLR with 3 other dualsports.

This night ride has been in the planning for 8 years. After this photo it was coasting out into Death Valley in the full moon with no headlights or music, just silence and the sound of the gravel under the tires.

Best ride of my life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kevin [Panamn] has put many smiles and miles on his '07' motobike. As one of his many friends, I got to be along on a lots of those miles. And he sure as hell isn't slowing down. This picture was taken this summer.

23550982_10155898042254628_8494770509648084729_o.jpg
Speedo is 5 over actual speed?

That will help save you from tickets.
wink.png

Bugnatr posted: Speedo is 5 over actual speed?
"But officer, Bugnatr said the speedometer is 5% over actual speed, and I am sure it's registering kilometers per hour ..."

Kevin [Panamn] has put many smiles and miles on his '07' motobike. As one of his many friends, I got to be along on a lots of those miles. And he sure as hell isn't slowing down. This picture was taken this summer.
23550982_10155898042254628_8494770509648084729_o.jpg
That was taken on 200 headed towards Great Falls passing a group of ten Motor homes and 18n wheelers pulling the Bushtec. I had been following for to long going out Missoula thru curves. I was thinking of not making the pass because I wanted to take this picture but that thought didn't last long. :)

About 40 miles out Great Falls a tie wire pieced the sidewall of the trailer tire and I had to pull the tire and ride into Great Falls with the wheel and tire in my lap. I'd like to give a shout out for Steve at Steve's Sports Center, he didn't have a tire but his staff called around and found me one at another shop. The other shop wouldn't mount it till the following Wednesday as this was Friday June 30th with the 4th being Tuesday so he told me to bring it back and had his guys mount it. While his guy was mounting the tire he took me into his office and showed me pictures of a early 50' Chevy custom pick-up he built. Still some good guys out there! I made my Aunt & Uncles 50th anniversary on Saturday and back home Monday to celebrate the 4th with family at home.

Spousal Unit and I went for a ride last Sunday; a bonus for this time of year in Montana. It was 34 degrees when we left our place but soon rose to the 50s and was in the 60s part of the way. This was taken in the Jefferson River Valley about 15 miles south of where the Jefferson and Madison Rivers join to create the Missouri River.

This was taken in the area of the Jefferson River where Cole Boehler's remains were found in May 2106.

BD5_E5_E4_F-_F0_DE-4_D43-8_EF4-_D1198_B59_BDE6.jpg

Titus Canyon (don't know it? Google up) last Friday night on my KLR with 3 other dualsports.This night ride has been in the planning for 8 years. After this photo it was coasting out into Death Valley in the full moon with no headlights or music, just silence and the sound of the gravel under the tires.

Best ride of my life.
Same place, different day. February 2014 I was there with some ADV RIDER guys on my plated WR400. Later I sold it because I wanted e-start, then after that I bought (and much later sold) a WR450 that was very pretty but getting to be too much bike for me. I loved the wheelie-on-command power, but my TTR250 was so much easier to ride.

IMAG1600.jpg

Taken on day 2 of our 16 day vacation of 2017 in Minnesota west of Alexandria on I-94.

Mileage%20zoom-2-XL.jpg

We went to the Canadian Border On US-191 to finish off a trip we started in 2015 then hit all 5 national parks in Utah and the Grand Canyon.

Total mileage for this trip was 5883

April 2012

I'm starting to get into moto camping now. I've had a few one-night trips with Mike relatively close to home, and it's been great. But now, it's time to try something a little farther away from home. Mike is close with the Honda ST guys and they are having some kind of "ArkanSTOC" gathering in the foothills of the Ozark Mountains this Spring. He asked me to go with him, and I agreed.

I was nervous. Until then, I always stayed fairly close to home camping. I figured if things turned to holy crap, I could run to Mama. But this was 600 miles away - I can't run home from this. I've been dreaming about this kind of trip. Sometimes you just have to face your demons. Look them straight in the eye and declare "I'm not scared". Even if you are lying, fake it until you make it.

It was terrific! The dogwoods were blooming in the mountains and Spring was definitely in the air. I met a lot of the ST dudes and to this day, some of us are still in touch. I learned a lot about motorcycle touring that weekend, as many of those dudes had several hundred thousand miles under their belt. And the fact that we got drunk didn't hurt things much either.

Lake Dardanelle, Arkansas. This is what sport touring means to me.

IMG_1062-X2.jpg

Stay Thirsty, my Friends....

Pants, that don't look like your bike! Nice shot.

A few years back I headed out on my own over to Montana & Wyoming for a seven day run, first two nights were nice but the next three were wet and nasty!

I can spend all day on the bike in the rain and if I'm with friends I can even camp. But camping in the rain by yourself? Not me, a good bottle of Rye and a hot shower with a poor thread count is me. Three out of me seven nights were in a motel, don't really live up to the name Panman do I?

Toasting you tonight Pants.

Titus Canyon (don't know it? Google up) last Friday night on my KLR with 3 other dualsports.This night ride has been in the planning for 8 years. After this photo it was coasting out into Death Valley in the full moon with no headlights or music, just silence and the sound of the gravel under the tires.

Best ride of my life.
Same place, different day. February 2014 I was there with some ADV RIDER guys on my plated WR400. Later I sold it because I wanted e-start, then after that I bought (and much later sold) a WR450 that was very pretty but getting to be too much bike for me. I loved the wheelie-on-command power, but my TTR250 was so much easier to ride.

IMAG1600.jpg

We don't get snows that are fun to play in very often in upstate South Carolina. In 2010 we got two of them. And a plated WR400 is a whole lot more fun to take for a spin around the neighborhood in the snow than a FJR is.

39393053381_af012fb300_b.jpg

January 2014

I'm almost to the Ouachita Mountains in Arkansas. No, not the Ozarks. These little elusive gems are located in the southern part of the State and while at about 2500 feet they are never going to win any popularity contest, they still qualify as legitimate mountains. Perhaps most significantly to me is the fact that they happen to be the closest mountains to my home, approximately 300 miles away.

A man that lives his life 24 feet above sea level, by definition, lives his life in two dimensions. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's just that, at times... the view is limited. A wanderer and an adventurer seeks the overlook. He wants to see things from a distance. There's a little Voyeur in all of us. The subject is a matter of perspective, I suppose. A view like this puts things in scale for a man like me. It reminds me that in the grand scheme of things, I'm not as big and tough as I think I am. It gives me an opportunity to reflect on the way the world really is - wide open and ripe for the taking. Not in a selfish way, but rather in a respectful and appreciative way. When I look at mountains, no matter how high, a feeling of excitement comes upon me. I want to know what's on the other side, and on this side all at the same time. Riding toward it gives me something to look at and look forward to. Roads can't be built straight up to the top and down the other side. They swirl around the mountain and they do it in a very curvy and twisty manner. And looking forward to that on a motorcycle is about as good as it gets.

I see you back there, my three-dimensional, tree-covered, glorious friends. Hang tight, I'll be there in a little while....

IMG_4769-XL.jpg

Stay Thirsty, My Friends....