The other shoe has dropped (kindof)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Topspeed

Reaction score
I started reading this forum a couple weeks before I got my 07 fjr and I gotta tell ya I was a bit nervous about dropping it after all the threads I had seen on that subject. Especially, since I'm 5'8 and definitely can't flat foot the thing. But I told myself I would be extra careful and not let it happen to me. And I was oh so careful, always making sure the sidestand was fully down, planting my feet solidly at stops, etc...

9.5 k later and I hadn't dropped it at all! Then I got careless :( I had just installed a bike pro on my utility trailer and of course had to test it out by putting the bike in it. Everything fit fine, so I backed the fjr out and down the trailer. No sooner were the bike and I on back on the pavement then it starts to fall towards the right. Oh @#$% no! It tips over about half way to the right then just stops! :blink: What the....

Turns out my highway peg on the right side was fully extended and was propping the bike up! I righted the bike, all the while looking around furtively to see if any of the neighbors had seen ( I was on the street and it was the middle of the day after all!) Whew! no one around! So I nonchalantly got on the bike and rode it round the block a couple of times. Got back to the house and did a quick once over. Wait, what's this? My highway bill mounting plate is bent, as is the lowest bolt that holds it in! I do a more in depth survey and thankfully no further damage was done. The bolt head is slightly bent but not the whole bolt. Been keeping an eye on it ever since for leaking fluids of any type and still nothing.

So, in the end I found a new sidestand for the bike! and to the right no less.

Damn you are lucky!!!

A new highway peg bracked will cost less than painting a fairing, replacing a mirror, and the clutch cover.

I like happy endings. The one time my bike fell out of a stand, the helmet hitting the wall prevented the fairing from hitting ;) I a new helmet anyway :)

Be careful about cramming them bolts on the peg brackets too much.

Also, if the bent bracket bothers you, take it off put it in a bench vice & straighten it out. Been there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good idea Luvtoride! I was just about to go out straighten it out using a hammer and my drive way :p Your way will probably entail much less damage to my driveway lol.