The Price of Holiganism

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supertankerm60a3

Reaction score
OK, months ago I bought a set of bags that had been damaged in a accident. I sanded them and gave them a fair coat of silver and clear. I found that the right one had the retaining prong jammed out of place by about a 1/4". I tried to get it back where it belonged but on dice. So I trimmed it off by the aforementioned 1/4", seemed to fit OK, as well as the left one at least.

Fast forward to today...

Coming home after dropping off my daughter and cross the main street. It has a rather high crown so it is always fun to blip the throttle crossing the crown front comes up, (18" or so) drops down, lots of fun. I look back and there is the right bag tumbling along the road. D'OH!! The worst of the damage is the derrned thing took a chunk of the fender out at the front mounting hole! So it is time to paint it again and get rid of the boot marks too, and extend the locking tab a bit. And maybe look up the cost of a rear fender.

That was being considered as plan B. I was just really surprised because the bags stayed on just fine over 25 miles of rough, wash-boarded dirt road last year going from hywy 58 to hywy 166 on the Soda Lake road. Obviously, the pin would be the strongest retaining system.

Drill a hole thru the lower mount and it's tab and run a pin thru. Has worked well for others here.
+1

New 10 and I pinned them and the Givi while still 0 miles on the bike. About 6 bucks in parts at Ace Hardware, and 10 mins time.

I just read all I could and saw the tip got the hardware and did it. No worries, and no hassles doing it, or taking the pins out to remove the bags.

Well worth the little money and time to do.