The Recall Ignition Switch - What's new about it?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where does the white wire go to? Is it connected to the red or brown wire at the harness?

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic job Brodie! Simply fantastic. And that should be worth another adult beverage of your choosing... ;)

I'm not a big fan of that solution from Yamaha. For the current to split equally between the white and red circuits the resistance has to be identical in each circuit. If the contact surface of either circuit gets a little dirty adding a tiny bit of additional resistance current will be diverted to the other lower resistance circuit.

Maybe it'll be fine if one circuit carries 70% of the current and the other carries 30%. If the resistance of each circuit is almost identical in the beginning it'll likely change after many switch operations.

But, they may have added enough of a margin so it won't be a problem.

For those of you that had a new ignition switch put in before this recall and are cursed with two sets of keys...

I looked at the recall switch before my dealer service department installed it, the security screws were loose and their drive heads were still intact. The instructions are for your mechanic to drill out the security screws to your original ignition switch and extract it's lock cylinder. The mechanic then installs your lock cylinder into the recall switch and secures it with the provided security screws. The screws are tightened until the heads shear off. There is no reason to not perform this step - other than ignorance, laziness, or an effort to speed up the job.

If you are told that you will be getting two sets of keys -
do not accept it!
Have your service manager read the instructions to you.
If they still insist on giving you new ignition keys -
RUN AWAY from them!
Don't EVER go back!

Find another dealer to do your service work. I'm sure someone on this forum in your neck of the woods can direct you to a reputable dealer.

This happens (or should happen) to every recall switch...

IMG_0021.jpg

If you have been using two sets of keys and wish to revert back to one set, here is your golden opportunity to have it done.

When the lock cylinder is extracted from your ignition switch, your mechanic will have two of them on his work bench - yours and the recall one. If you give him the original bike key - the one that fits the gas tank, saddle bags, and seat lock, he may be able to mix and match the individual tumblers from both locks to match it. If he has several recall kits at his disposal your chances are even better. The tumblers are captured within the assembly but will extract with a slight tug by a pair of pliers, or a push from underneath. Don't loose the spring. This is when it's good to be on favorable terms with your service department.

IMG_0014.jpg

One more thing, the recall switch is a complete unit in itself. The keyhole door is brand new. If yours is bad, you will be getting a new unit with the recall switch. The picture below shows the keyhole door module, it's a light press fit in the cover tube...

KeyholeDoor.jpg

If the recall repair is done right there is no reason for this keyhole door to be extracted, the one from the recall switch will be used. The only item from your original ignition switch used over will be your lock cylinder.

Hope this helps.

Brodie
😊

Last edited:
Brodie,

I must thank you very much for your efforts to do this!!! You are certainly a giving person to donate your time so that the rest of us may learn and be happy that the recall may be genuinely effective.

Thank You! :specool:

You Da Man! I'd been holding off, not really seeing the importance of spending the time to get my bike in to the shop. After seeing that melted plastic it's been moved WAY UP on my priority list. Thanks mucho!

I want to add my thanks to you also for your efforts. You are definitely an asset to this forum. Your report is very detailed and easy to understand even for a technically challenged person like me. Ride safe.

Brodie, great work and I personally appreciate the time and effort you have put into this.

All, this is a great board. My bike is in the shop right now getting its new switch. When I brought it in yesterday, I mentioned the key situation to the service clerk taking my order. He called me back about an hour later and told me the service lead said there would be an extra charge for retaining the original key. I almost hit the ceiling but I kept my cool and told them to go read the entire text on the service bulletin and show me the key situation is not included. They called me back soon afterward and told me everything was as I said, they apologized to me, and they would make the repair and I would use the original key.

If not for this board, I think I would have paid for not changing the key.

Thank you board.

Ron

I'll add my thanks Brodie. Your harness will stay on the bike, and I now have answers to many of the questions that have been bugging me. Can't say enough thank you's. Any time we meet you mention what your drinking and I'll buy one or two for ya!

Thanks for the great write-up! I had my new switch installed on Tuesday. The only difference I noted from yours was a red stripe around the keyhole. I asked the tech about it and he said that was the new switch.

Anyway, I've got the bypass and the new switch so I should be good to go! :yahoo:

Great write up, I dropped my FJR last week and they had it back to my within 4 days. Once I brought it in they keep it, saying for safety reasons. While it was in, I decided to have them check the head set on it since I have seen a front end vibration. They found it was loose so back to normal and all seems well.

Dave

Thank you Brodie! Wonderful job on the relay fix and new switch breakdown.

I might be out your way in Sept. If I am going nearby, I will certainly contribute to the Brodie beverage buy. And just think, if everyone here bought you a beverage for this job you could drink free for a while. :D

So-

just to get this straight-

you had the recall work done, then disassembled the ignition for enlightenment and documentation. :blink: :blink: :blink:

Analysed the differences and posted them :dribble: :dribble: :dribble:

:love:

I"m feeling warm and fuzy

:wub:

So-just to get this straight-

you had the recall work done, then disassembled the ignition for enlightenment and documentation. :blink: :blink: :blink:

Analysed the differences and posted them :dribble: :dribble: :dribble:

:love:

I"m feeling warm and fuzy

:wub:
Hey Dick

I hate to break it to you,

I know it's going to crush you...

You're not my type!

Sorry

:p

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts