The Recall Ignition Switch - What's new about it?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brodie,

Thanks for showing this, I just got mine done today, I asked about using the same tumbler for the key and they said no problem, they said thats what Yamaha said to do, so for those that have 2 keys the dealer should have used you original tumbler, I'm still keeping the harness I made in just to be safe.

Sensei-much obliged for the sacrifice. I still have mine to do, hopefully the "gents" up here are on board with this maneuver and when the salt is off the road all will be good again.

Thanks! :assassin:

Brodie, I have to chime in. Your efforts are much appreciated. People like y'all make this forum just unbeatable.

And one small reassurance for all those bemoaning the slow response of Yamaha to do the fix, at least they finally DID fix it. If this were BMW, they'd still be telling everyone that the problems were somehow operator caused.

Chris

To anyone going in for the recall. Make sure your dealer knows the tumbler is to be re keyed to your current per Yamaha. Show them the recall letter if you need to (it says it directly) .

Had to go up the ladder again after my (former) dealer told me it wasn't "their problem" and to talk to corporate. YAY!

Called corporate and had a call back from the dealer in 5 minutes.

I just got my '06 FJR a few days ago. I wanted to say thanks to all who have posted - especially Brodie for the very thorough analysis.

Turns out that my bike has had 4 of the 2 available recall fixes done (the 4th one is on the optional touring trunk mount). The ignition switch recall has not been completed, so the local shop has ordered the parts for it and will call me when they have them ready for it.

If the rumors of it being on back-order are true, then I guess that may be a long time from now.

Good to know that they should not be giving me a new key with the new switch (I'll confirm that when I bring it in).

-Dan

I just got my '06 FJR a few days ago. I wanted to say thanks to all who have posted - especially Brodie for the very thorough analysis.Turns out that my bike has had 4 of the 2 available recall fixes done (the 4th one is on the optional touring trunk mount). The ignition switch recall has not been completed, so the local shop has ordered the parts for it and will call me when they have them ready for it.

If the rumors of it being on back-order are true, then I guess that may be a long time from now.

Good to know that they should not be giving me a new key with the new switch (I'll confirm that when I bring it in).

-Dan
I wish I had Brodie's / FredW's / Fred Harmon's skills when it came to "fixing" these kind of things! My technical skills are far as any vehicle include:

1) Putting in GAS

2) Checking Tire Pressure

Maybe in the next life!

Best Regards,

Shane

Well I have one of Brodie's bypass harness on and just recently experiencing total ignition switch failure. That is turn key and no juice at all. Battery shows full charge, so its not the battery. So I will take out ignition switch and see if the assembly is binding or melted.... I have 04 FJR with 38000 miles.

Well I have one of Brodie's bypass harness on and just recently experiencing total ignition switch failure. That is turn key and no juice at all. Battery shows full charge, so its not the battery. So I will take out ignition switch and see if the assembly is binding or melted.... I have 04 FJR with 38000 miles.
Assume that you have already removd the Bordie relay to eliminate it as being the cause of the failure here, right? :unsure:

'cause if the Brodie relay went tits up, like electromechanical devices are wont to do, it would look just like an ignition switch failed.

To add to Fred's reply, the Brody Relay, which I also have on MY '04, was designed to circumvent an amperage problem with Gen II ignition switches, not for Gen Is.

That being said, I, too, bought one from Brody for prophylactic reasons only. Didn't want to duplicate the multitude of Gen II failures on my Gen I.

As Fred intimated, unplug the Brody Relay, plug the iggy leads back to OEM and see what happens. It IS possible the relay in Brody's harness went pear-shaped. I would certainly do that before I disassembled the triple-tree.

Latest posts