The six dollar man

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was (I hope) the brutal day of at home PT sessions. I was breathing like I was giving birth. That set hurt. My brother was watching me so I couldn't cheat. He would leave the room and I would tell him, "that's the 10 reps" but he never bought it. He's an actuary...a numbers guy. Took a couple of walks around the neighborhood on sub-optimal pavement. Lots of slopes, cracks, and heaved sidewalk segments.Total distance 0.8 miles. I hit 101F briefly today but dropped back down to 100F fairly quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep an eye on the body temp, if it stays high, that could be an infection, but it sounds like about your normal temp. i still have to get my knee done and it's good to see all you old farts walking around with new knees.

Keep on truckin

My fever broke last night, I woke up in sweat-soaked clothes, and found myself in the sub-99F range. I finally got past the (disturbing) three days of constipation and rediscovered the joy of defecation. Simple pleasures. I'm 72 hours into this and feeling much better. I can already tell that my left leg is longer and straighter than it used to be. I'm getting about 120 degrees of flexion when I grimace.

Don't take for granted the fact that you can take a dump.

DON'T ASK HIM.

Lots of us have endured physical therapy. Your torture expert knows how much to push without injury via over exertion. Don't ask me how I know, unless you're bringing single-malt Scotch.

C'mon John. No Pain??? Gotta push the envelope a litte dont you?. How is your knee coming along?

Bruce

Bigjohn is right on overdoing it. Nowhere near a knee replacement, but here's my real moment of genius: Teaching pistol at an outdoor range (academy class). Side is hurting. So what, stuff hurts sometimes. End of the day, a cadet actually caught me favoring that side when walking and asked me if I was okay. "Pshaw!", I said. Hurt all evening. Got up the next morning, side hurting and vibrating like an old Motorola pager. I'm dressed and ready to leave for the range, in the pre-dawn with an espresso in one hand and Google in the other. Al Gore said my symptoms pointed to appendicitis (I told you this wasn't anything serious like knee replacement). I wasn't about to let potential appendicitis ruin my day- then, out of pure vanity, I realized how much hoopla it would cause if my appendix burst while I was at a fairly rural outdoor range, in front of a class. My peers would probably flip out and call for aeromed (which we always have dialed in for any range class). So, I left and instead of turning right and heading south to the range, I turned north for a quick preemptive checkout at the ER. Merely a precautionary measure. They examined me, and like a vampire awoken, when the nurse probed my abdomen, I seized her wrist in a vice-like grip and intimated that she might actually be a witch. After she got over being manhandled, she said- you just might have appendicitis. Drank the radioactive juice. Got scanned. Verdict- should have popped, might pop any minute, already leaking infectious goodness. Set your pack down- you're being prepped for surgery.

And then I called my wife and told her I wasn't at the range. And that I was at the hospital. And that I had a pain in my side. And stuff.

Soooo, (for those of you who are still awake, and aren't bogarting bionic-harpers narcotics), I got my appendix removed. Should be a non-issue, right? People get it done all the time. But most people aren't the shiny brand of stupid I am. I wake up, roughly 3 hours after surgery, still in a gown, IV bag hanging. Awake enough to be restless. Narcomotized enough to invite whimsy. I read my board, with vitals and what I can and cannot do. I read "activity as tolerated". I remember I am iron man. This is my first hospitalization since I was born. This whole incident is an assault upon my manhood. "Activity as tolerated" indeed. I decide that heel and toe lifts, in sets of ten, while clutching my IV rack for support, are clearly indicated. I will be the fastest fully recovered appendectomy patient in history. Autographs will be given.

In hindsight, this was not a great idea. While the procedure I underwent may be less intrusive than it was long ago, it turns out that the things they do to plug holes and seal leaks now aren't necessarily the most robust things... They aren't rated for activities that aren't kid-tested and mother-approved. Ask me how I know...

Next day, not so many narcotics, because I refused them (remember, I'm iron man). I'm in pain. But it's the day after surgery, so of course I'm in pain. Kind of foggy. I decide (no narcotics to blame this on) that it's a good idea to put on the 5.11's I arrived in, pull on my 5lb. each desert acadias (damn that hurt), and go in search of Red Bull. I put on sunglasses and a ballcap, because I was obviously incognito. I left the ward walking like an old man. By the time I got to the far end of the hospital 3 floors down, I was walking like Ozzy Osbourne on a bad day. Red Bull in the cafeteria? Nope. It's a hospital cafeteria. I barely made it back to the ward I was hurting so bad. When I got there, the charge nurse and my nurse are standing with their arms crossed. "We were looking for you." I didn't say anything, just shuffled my zombie ass back to the room.

I had one week to be good to go for a long trip and executive protection op. I did enough damage in the first 24 hours to make this barely doable.

And you'll never get the time you spent reading this back. Best wishes harper- hang in there.

I had my appendix removed when I was 5...in 1957. It was nothing. There wasn't any anesthetic choice to fuss about, just the good ole mix of ether and nitrous inhaled until you pass out. I think my neighbor took it out with a boy scout knife and a pair of pliers.

I went to my one week, post-op appointment with my surgeon yesterday. He spent a lot of time saying, "you did what?" He told me of course your knee is going to swell if you walk a mile on it two days after surgery. He said the PT exercises are OK but the walking has to be cut back or followed by serious sessions of full elevation. I told him I wanted to lose the walker, it was a hazard. I told him I hadn't had any pain meds for 13 hours. He said OK let's see you stand up and walk. So I stood up and walked around the room unassisted with a slight limp. He said OK let me go find you a cane, you don't need the walker. He also told me he'd never seen anybody able to do what I'd been doing the first few days. Then he drained 40 cc of ugly fluid from my fat knee and sent me on my way.

Tomorrow is my first real appointment with PT but already it no longer hurts to do the exercises. I'm down from 10 oxy per day to 4 oxy per day. Body temp 98.2F.

I'm 11 days into this, now. At the real PT appointment I was given a new exercise regime.The cane is something I kind of take along with me now. I don't use it to walk and I walk with very little limp. I do PT exercises 3 times daily and walk a mile or so each day. I cut the oxy back way too far way too fast a few days ago. When our grandson was over Friday and Saturday I was active most of each day with my foot down too much of the time. I got behind on my pain meds. I'm back up to more like 5 per day but I can still go from 10:00 at night until about 2:00 the following afternoon without taking one and have at least one PT session in that period. Swelling is still my biggest problem so I do a lot of icing and elevating.

The FJR is starting to get lonely without me. I don't know when my left leg will be able to hold up that big horse but it's calling to me.

Mebbee you need a little lighter bike just to get back into shape. I would recommend a gen1 bandit 1200, nekkid of course. 'bout 150 lbs lighter than the fjr and just as many ponies. Keep it up, you'll be back in the saddle in no time. God gave you 2 legs so that you could trust at least one of them to hold up a bike.

Last week, one of the guys at work asked me if i would get a trike when i got to the point of not being able to hold up a bike. I told him that a Gold Wing trike would prolly work OK. In hind sight, I 'd just end up with a hack on one of the scooters. Keep walkin Harper

Bruce

I'm going to hold off on the lighter bike for now but I will keep walking. Although yesterday I kind of overdid it. I walked 1.3 miles through a park that included a flight of 20 stairs, into a hilly neighborhood with some steep ups and downs, and all without letting the cane touch the ground once. I got home and felt OK so I elevated and iced and then proceeded to go up and down my basement stairs several times to regenerate the water softener, take stuff into the back yard, take out the trash, yard waste, and recycling, and so on. I did two sets of PT that day as well. By the time my daughter and grandson came over my knee was starting to balloon out so I used that as an excuse to get out of doing dishes and had to elevate and ice the rest of the evening.

But that's not what was so painful. What was really painful was finding out that AdamK, Fontanaman, audiowize, Panman, and escapefjrtist took a ride on the North Cascades Highway three days after my surgery and all they posted were photos of breathtaking vistas. Why not a photo of George pushing his bike because he ran out of gas? Or Kevin on the side of the road with a flat tire? Or a photo of the string of six semis that sprayed their visors and that they couldn't pass for an hour? That would have been therapeutic for me.

Eighteen days. I don't even take the cane with me anymore. I have a grip on how much I can do without making my knee swell too badly. I had my second PT session and got a new set of exercises. I walk about a mile every day and do my three sets of PT exercises, pushing a little on the flexion stretch exercises. Those hurt a bit but you get to choose how far to push it.Two thirds of the scar is now smooth and clear and the other third is kind of dry and flaky. The PT massaged the scar with some special lotion and showed me how to do it on my own without lotion. (I see several of you ready to comment on that last sentence.)

Every year, on my birthday (28 August), I go on a 25 mile unicycle ride with several other local unicycle riders. This ride involves 12,500 reps but it's flat terrain so there's relatively little stress. For you homeboys, it's the Iron Horse Trail from Hyak to Rattlesnake Lake. I told my PT I was afraid I might miss it this year. She said I would have to be a rehab rock star to be ready for that ride.

My knee is telling me it's ready to lift that FJR. I don't know if I should trust what my knee is telling me...it's lied to me before.

My advice to people who want to get a knee replaced is to have a STRONG knee at the time of surgery. The week before surgery I rode my unicycle on an 8-mile and a 12-mile ride, I rode my bicycle on a 15-mile ride, and I walked down and then up 300 stairs. I think that being able to do stuff like that right before surgery makes an enormous boost to recovery speed.

Well, I was out dancing my ass off last nite, 3 sets, just about every song. Had the BPM going and broke a sweat. Does that count?

Oh yeah, don't worry about the lotion, I quit using it when i was 13

Wetwolf, I think the dancing will do the trick. Especially if you're doing it three times a week.

Third week for me today. I did a set of PT home exercises and walked 3 miles in the morning. Then I went into PT and got scolded for walking 3 miles. She said I can walk 1 mile at a time. More than that and patients tend to tire and start walking with a limp. So I can walk a mile at a time 3 times a day with at least a 2 hour rest between with icing and elevation. In all fairness, the PT session was pretty brutal and not because of spite on her part but rather early over-extension on my part. She said I could ride a bicycle on flat surfaces right now but I can't ride my unicycle yet. I can exercise using the stationary bike at PT to prepare for unicycling because the stationary can be pedaled backward with the same resistance as forward. She won't sign off on the FJR and says that's a decision to be made by the surgeon.