The stock seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I'm doing mostly highway within about an hour, even with my Sargent, I'm getting achy. I'm fit, just posteriorly challenged so I run into that problem practically seated anywhere.
I would get quite achy after about 90 minutes on the stock seat. If I took a break, I'd be achy again in about an hour. Virtually 100% cure simply by adding an Airhawk. Was in the saddle for about 15 days last summer on a coast to coast. I'd be shifting around in late afternoons, especially on the 1000 km days, but no real suffering. Highly recommended. Only nuisance for me was taking the thing off at night while staying in motels. I knew that if some sleaze stole the thing I'd have to get another, pronto. I carried a patch kit but haven't needed it so far. (>20,000 km)

99.9 % of all stock factory seats are too soft and made of inferior cheap foam. Feels good sitting on one in the showroom or rare short test ride. Problem is the factory seat will almost always cause the dreaded "butt burn" after a few minutes and will leave one in pain to the point of agony and not wanting to ride that bike anymore. Secret is a seat that is wide enough for your rear side and firm enough to support your weight and not be too firm but close. Pun intended. A good seat is the most important item on any bike for many reasons. IMO. Thinking about the ride and enjoying it instead of concentrating on my aching ….. is huge. :rolleyes:
I somehow think age makes a difference in "felt comfort" here. What I mean is, thinking back to all the bikes I owned when I was young....(Kawasaki S2, H2, Suzuki TS, Yamaha RD400, Seca 550....). I don't ever remember complaining about the seats. Even on long trips, I remember my hands aching, my head a bit sore from what was just a poorly fitting helmet, being tired, wet, etc...But never getting off the bike and saying, "Jeez my ass hurts.."

It really wasn't until middle age that I started noticing how inhospitable the stock seats were on motorcycles. At 47 I remember riding a Kawasaki 750 a few hundred miles and having to stop every 60-70 miles to just let my butt recover. A Corbin seat solved that.

When I got my FJR a few years later, just the 60 mile ride from the dealer to home had me on the phone to Corbin.

But I remember riding all day on my little Suzuki when I was 18. Never noticed any issues with the seat, so I'm guessing all those years of sitting as I got older took their toll on my butt somehow. ;)

on my 2006 the stock seat was changed at less than 1,000 miles 203,000 miles later the Corbin i got for it worked great!. on my 2015 the stock seat is fine, totally different from the 2006 (seat). also the Yamaha comfort seat has worked well for the 2015 for trips longer than four days.

Yamaha comfort seat is a dream compared to the stock seat and costs less than any of the others. I like to stop for about 5 minutes every 90 to 100 miles anyway to stretch out (or pee, I'm, old). I'm good for a ten hour day with this method.

The constant wind noise for long periods of time wears me out faster then the seat even with ear plugs and a Shoei helmet. I like the windshield all the way down.

Got about 50,000 miles on my Seat Concepts cover, and it's about ready for replacement. Cheap, lasts a long time. Nice alternative.

Note that is replaces the factory padding and cover; it's not a 'custom seat'.

For the last year,and a month, I have endured the torture device named 2016 Yamaha FJR 1300A Stock Seat...The FJR is my touring bike now. I love the bike, but I can only do 1.5 hours before the pain is too much to bare...Not Hyperbole...I am currently on an extended western road trip, and as of Today, after much consideration, I am riding on a Sargent Seat. I took a 3 hour ride today, and for the first time experienced a pain free ride...
Same situation as my '12, 1-1.5 hrs and it was way past time to give my can a break. After a ton of research the RDL was the way I went, not my first choice because of the cost but went with it because so many liked it so much. Sometimes you just have to turn your head and open the wallet, that is what I did. Can't put in to words how happy I am with the seat. A little side note, since I sat a little higher I was leaning forward a little more which transferred more weight to my arms. Ended up having to raise and move the handle bars back. Between those two things I can now go from a full tank to reserve none stop.

I have a Sargent that was on my 08 for 55K and now on the 14 for almost 20K. I found my thighs losing circulation so sent it back to them to shave down the ridges at the front of the seat toward the rear and is now much better. Build quality is excellent. Ordered the silver welting and it is a little faded now but holds up with no wear.

I'm a bicycle tourer who has ridden across Canada, US, UK, Spain, and France on a hard Brooks leather saddle (80-100 miles a day), so I have no complaints with the stock FJR saddle. I'm also an Iron Butt guy who is on #18 motorcycle in my MC family tree, and of the 18 bikes I've owned, I've never rode anything but the stock saddle on all of them...so yeah, I'm kind of with Knifemaker in that the FJR seat is way more comfortable than anything else I've owned.

I'm a bicycle tourer who has ridden across Canada, US, UK, Spain, and France on a hard Brooks leather saddle (80-100 miles a day), so I have no complaints with the stock FJR saddle. I'm also an Iron Butt guy who is on #18 motorcycle in my MC family tree, and of the 18 bikes I've owned, I've never rode anything but the stock saddle on all of them...so yeah, I'm kind of with Knifemaker in that the FJR seat is way more comfortable than anything else I've owned.
First thing I thought of while reading your post.

That looks worse than having a sore butt. Besides, all the material that ever went into headbands and leotards would have been better used in Airhawks and beer cozies.

Dances with Deer, You must have had all the nerves to your bottom side disconnected
punk.gif

My 2015 stock seat is sitting on a shelf in the gayrage where it belongs and there is a Corbin with seat beads on the bike that works well for me. It may not be an all day seat but it works for 300 to 400 miles before the butt really needs a rest.

I still have a stock seat on my 2016 FJR. I retired in June and promptly took off on a 7000 miles trip, covering most of western US and Canada. As I designed my itinerary, I planned to stop in Redding, CA and have Seth Laam make me a new seat. I met with Seth on July 12 (11 days before the fires broke out east of Redding), we discussed my riding style and expectations, and both decided to leave the stock on the bike. Seth is a super nice guy and a real professional. I told him I preferred a "flatter" seat and would have trouble adjusting to a more scalloped "bowl" type seat ... with ~4000 miles still to go on the trip.

My longest day was 700 miles from Denver to Des Moines, on the way home. I did stop every 150 miles or so, give or take. What did help me A LOT, was highway pegs from Garauld - placing one foot at a time on these, and shifting weight to one side, was a huge improvement.

Last year I got a Corbin seat, but found it too "bowly" and not flat enough. Traded it to a guy for a Sargent. I use this Sargent from time to time on local shorter trips, but really not sensing any difference from stock in the comfort department. Maybe I will take the Sargent on the next long ride and see how it feels.

I hated the stock seat on all three of my FJRs. I got Rick Meyer to make me one for my 2004 and 2008, but never thought it was that much better than stock. I took a chance on the Seat Concepts seat on the 2012 I currently own and it's better than stock. Not a lot, but better. One of these days I may break down an get a Russell or a Lamb.

GP

I have a Sargent on my Super Tenere and love it. I find it hard as a rock but I am able to ride all day without any real issues. My 2018 FJR seat wasn't too bad but I found the seams along the top on both the left and right sides cut into my thighs. It formed too much of a ridge there. I got a great deal on the comfort seat from Partzilla. That area of the seat is rounded where the seams are and doesn't form a ridge. Much better and last fall I did two 600+ mile days in a row without problems so I will stick with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The stock seat on my 05 was torture. I had Rick Meyer fix it and no more monkey butt. When the 05 got tagged I kept the seat and a few other things.

With that monies I got a Seth Laam seat. This was even better that the RM, and Seth worked for Rick Meyer.

After I got it back I thought it would be to hard but after 2017's vacation and 5883 miles it was not an issue.

Quite possibly the best seat I've ever had.

DSCF3629-L.jpg

My 2016 new at the dealer with the stock seat.

DSCF3862-L.jpg

The Seth Laam seat.