The 'tick' Is Gone! But So Is My 'oil'!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyway

Reaction score
I have just rolled up from WFO with around 2800 miles since the cyclinder head replacement for my ticker. When nearing home the oil light comes on, "Hmm that's a new one for me". Pulled in the garage and put the bike on the centerstand.

Guess what, there was no oil in the sight glass. Let is sit for half an hour, still no oil. Topped it off with no less than a quart. There have been no oil drips under the bike and upon inspection of the motor it is dry everywhere. I guess the new seals are allowing more oil to pass, though this is way to much for my liking. So I called Cypress 'AGAIN' and got a total non response from some schmuk on the other end of the phone. He suggested returning the bike to the dealer who carried out the replacement of the cyclinder head. Yeh right, like that's gonna happen this Millenium, since I only got it back after 6 weeks the last time. I asked for the contact information of the regional rep for my area and was not given it, no suprise there. Now I must wait 'AGAIN" to speak to the last person whom I spoke with regarding the tick, since the person was not in the office.

Nice to know there is no tick for now, but it sucks that this much oil is blowing through my new engine.

Go Yamaha, you guys rock! :fuck:

Was there oil in the sight glass before WFO (or since you've picked it up)? Could this be a simple (or as stupid) as the dealer just not putting enough oil in after the head replacement?

Don't that just suck.

Maybe Woody is right. Maybe they poured it in, but it didn't fill that massive filter, so it was just up to the "enough" level when you took off from the shop, then filled the filter leaving you at a lower oil level?

Last edited by a moderator:
Was there oil in the sight glass before WFO (or since you've picked it up)?  Could this be a simple (or as stupid) as the dealer just not putting enough oil in after the head replacement?
No I checked and topped off to the top of the sight glass before we set off. I am completely anal about this sort of thing.

Bummer. Seem to run OK? Any difference?

When you get a new head like that, do you have to break in the engine again? Seat everything?

Bummer.  Seem to run OK? Any difference?
When you get a new head like that, do you have to break in the engine again? Seat everything?
The bike runs like a freight train! Way more juice than before the head was replaced. It has not been thrashed at all, we were just riding up to WFO with the 'peak to peak' crew. Nothing out of the ordinary.

How many miles on engine before head replaced? New head restores compression to cylinders. If there is a ring problem, high miles, wear, engine will burn oil.

New head, should not be letting oil by seals or guides.

Any blue smoke at start up?

Start fresh new oil and filter .

Record miles and amount used.

How many miles on engine before head replaced?  New head restores compression to cylinders. If there is a ring problem, high miles, wear,  engine will burn oil.New head, should not be letting oil by seals or guides.

Any blue smoke at start up?

Start fresh new oil and filter .

Record miles and amount used.
17K at head replacement.

Have not seen any smoke. Nobody mentioned this during our group rides either.

I am now just over 20K, IMO this motor should not be burning this much oil.

I am in the process of talking myself into an IBA cert across the lower 48 and back, which would mean I would require around 3 quarts of oil to complete the required distance. I don't think this is normal. I would think that this engine should be rock solid for upward of 150-200k, this is a sport touring rig after all, or so I thought.

Are you running a full synthetic oil? Syn's have a tendancy to be used up by the motor easier than dino oil. Also what weight oil are you running?
Yes I am running syn. oil, 5w40 Shell Rottella from Wally World, the bike has been super smooth with this fluid, better than the mobil 1 15w50 IMO. Until the more advanced stages of my tick, I never used any oil between the 4K oil change schedule I was on.

Skyway, I personally have had a couple of times when the oil light has come on. Both times I just traced it to losing a little around the drain plug. IMO the torque value that the manual calls for is too little. I never reuse the crush washer. The solution that worked for me was just adding a few more ft/lbs. to the drain plug and I've never had any problems with the threads (knock on wood). The only times that the light has come on was when I went with the published value for the drain plug.

May not be your problem but it's worth a look.

Change oil (should have before ya rang up 2800, but) and keep an eye on it. I don't trust the window to give me anything close to an accurate idea of oil use, not to mention actual level. Could be that it was low to begin with, the trip used up some, there were still solvents in the crankcase from the work, thinning the oil somewhat, and the remainder could be normal for your motor. A quart would be excessive for a motor with 20 thou, but half that wouldn't, especially if you were wailing on it at all. Recheck before condemning it. Refill with an exact amount, go a thousand, and see how much you drain. And guys, don't wait 2800 g**damn miles to change oil after engine work ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you running a full synthetic oil? Syn's have a tendancy to be used up by the motor easier than dino oil. Also what weight oil are you running?
Yes I am running syn. oil, 5w40 Shell Rottella from Wally World, the bike has been super smooth with this fluid, better than the mobil 1 15w50 IMO. Until the more advanced stages of my tick, I never used any oil between the 4K oil change schedule I was on.
Have a Leakdown done to see what condition the motors in. Anything over 10% would indicate a possible problem. If it goes to 15 or 20%, you def have a problem then. You can hear leakage at the rings through the crankcase and you'll hear it through your throttlebodies/exhausts if it's your valves. If you have 15% or less and everything looks good, I'd say your stem seals aren't doing their job. The 5w40 sounds a little light in my book, but if you had no problem before with it, stay with it. Possible a 10w40 or 15w50 might be better. I run the Mobile 10w40 MX4T in both, the R1 and FJR with no prob.

17k should't be using oil. Does't matter what type.

If no leaks its burning it.

Test consumption and try to resolve it with dealer.

People make mistakes, could be problem with repair, what i don't know, sorry.

I have 05 heard it tick when warming up 2 times. 7k just starting I HOPE NOT.

Does't do it hot, or at 3-4 thous revs.

I have just rolled up from WFO with around 2800 miles since the cyclinder head replacement for my ticker. When nearing home the oil light comes on, "Hmm that's a new one for me". Pulled in the garage and put the bike on the centerstand.
Guess what, there was no oil in the sight glass. Let is sit for half an hour, still no oil. Topped it off with no less than a quart. There have been no oil drips under the bike and upon inspection of the motor it is dry everywhere. I guess the new seals are allowing more oil to pass, though this is way to much for my liking. So I called Cypress 'AGAIN' and got a total non response from some schmuk on the other end of the phone. He suggested returning the bike to the dealer who carried out the replacement of the cyclinder head. Yeh right, like that's gonna happen this Millenium, since I only got it back after 6 weeks the last time. I asked for the contact information of the regional rep for my area and was not given it, no suprise there. Now I must wait 'AGAIN" to speak to the last person whom I spoke with regarding the tick, since the person was not in the office.

Nice to know there is no tick for now, but it sucks that this much oil is blowing through my new engine.

The oil level light is very conservative. Most tend to come on anytime the oil gets near to the minimum level on the sight glass. If it just came on and then you added oil, I would think you'd have trouble getting more than 1/2 qt in there without overfilling it. My guess is that you're probably overfilled by about 1/2 qt now. Which means that your consumption might be only a 1/2 qt in 2800 miles which is completely reasonable, especially if you're still in a break in phase with the repairs. Oil consumption varies between motors, but a qt in 5K miles is completely within normal bounds, even for a new engine.

Sorry, but I don't have the slightest sympathy with you on Cypress blowing you off. What are you expecting them to do - send a SWAT team out to your house that day? When someone has a problem with their bike, the first line of resolution is ALWAYS to take it to a dealer to resolve it and that's exactly what they told you. If you can't get satisfaction with the dealer, then they're a point of escalation, but they're NEVER the first point of contact for a problem.

IOW, I think you're way overreacting. I understand your frustration, but everything may be perfectly normal.

- Mark

I have just rolled up from WFO with around 2800 miles since the cyclinder head replacement for my ticker.  When nearing home the oil light comes on, "Hmm that's a new one for me".  Pulled in the garage and put the bike on the centerstand.
Guess what, there was no oil in the sight glass.  Let is sit for half an hour, still no oil.  Topped it off with no less than a quart.  There have been no oil drips under the bike and upon inspection of the motor it is dry everywhere.  I guess the new seals are allowing more oil to pass, though this is way to much for my liking.  So I called Cypress 'AGAIN' and got a total non response from some schmuk on the other end of the phone.  He suggested returning the bike to the dealer who carried out the replacement of the cyclinder head.  Yeh right, like that's gonna happen this Millenium, since I only got it back after 6 weeks the last time.  I asked for the contact information of the regional rep for my area and was not given it, no suprise there.  Now I must wait 'AGAIN" to speak to the last person whom I spoke with regarding the tick, since the person was not in the office.

The oil level light is very conservative. Most tend to come on anytime the oil gets near to the minimum level on the sight glass. If it just came on and then you added oil, I would think you'd have trouble getting more than 1/2 qt in there without overfilling it. My guess is that you're probably overfilled by about 1/2 qt now. Which means that your consumption might be only a 1/2 qt in 2800 miles which is completely reasonable, especially if you're still in a break in phase with the repairs. Oil consumption varies between motors, but a qt in 5K miles is completely within normal bounds, even for a new engine.

Sorry, but I don't have the slightest sympathy with you on Cypress blowing you off. What are you expecting them to do - send a SWAT team out to your house that day? When someone has a problem with their bike, the first line of resolution is ALWAYS to take it to a dealer to resolve it and that's exactly what they told you. If you can't get satisfaction with the dealer, then they're a point of escalation, but they're NEVER the first point of contact for a problem.

IOW, I think you're way overreacting. I understand your frustration, but everything may be perfectly normal.

- Mark
Unfortunately not everyone has a stellar dealership on their doorstep to pick up the pieces of bike problems. The dealer who did the cylinder head replacement on my ticker after waiting 6 weeks could not give me a completion date, said that if I wanted it quicker than their speedy schedule required additional payment from me, and said the harder I push the longer it will take. The reason I finally got it after 6 weeks was due to raising shit with the shop owner and Cypress.

So now you may begin to understand why I did not make the obvious logical step to return to my local dealer. :rolleyes:

I also know how much oil I put in the bike, believe it or not I could care less. If the oil level is below the top of the sight glass, it is not overfilled by 1/2 qt. If it is ok to burn off oil, then why did the original engine never show any significant oil use between changes prior to the advanced stages of the tick? I have never owned a new vehicle that was losing oil, guess I am just lucky. :good:

Change oil (should have before ya rang up 2800, but) and keep an eye on it.  I don't trust the window to give me anything close to an accurate idea of oil use, not to mention actual level.  Could be that it was low to begin with,  the trip used up some, there were still solvents in the crankcase from the work, thinning the oil somewhat, and the remainder could be normal for your motor.  A quart would be excessive for a motor with 20 thou, but half that wouldn't, especially if you were wailing on it at all.  Recheck before condemning it.  Refill with an exact amount, go a thousand, and see how much you drain.  And guys, don't wait 2800 g**damn miles to change oil after engine work ;)
I hear yah about the oil change, :eek:k: though I would think that the top end would not have as much bedding in as the lower. I will change it tommorow and ride on. :super1:

Something doesn't jive. A quart of oil just doesn't magically dissappear. And if it was being burnt, your pipes would be smoking like Andew Dice Clay.

-BD

Ian and Christie,

sorry about the situation on your 04. I rode many wonderful miles behind you two on the Peak to Peak and I can again confirm that your bike does not put out exhaust smoke, but it "smokes the road as it is a really quick machine".

I have not had the ticker, YET per WC, but the only oil I have used is YamaLube 20w-40. My bike is an 05 and now has 33k on it. I have used a Scott reusable oil filter since I got the bike. I change my oil about every 3k. I hope that you can get a resolution from Yamaha.

I have what I consider the best Yamaha shop here near me, Yamaha of Cucamong, I have been buying bikes and having heavy maintenance done by ther for 21 years. If you want I would be willing to talk with them, the co-owner is a Master Yamaha Certified mechanic, and their chief mechanic is the best one I have ever dealt with. He knows the FJR very well.

I hope you two had a safe and good ride home, I did. Took 97 down to 395 and back to my home. A great ride with little traffic and lots of great views.

Regards to wife and again I sure as heck enjoyed meeting and riding with all the folks in MM2 ride. It was a great group ride!! Excellent riders and good people.

Dave,

Contact me if you want me to check with my dealer>